ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Fatal1ty no WiFi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Fatal1ty no WiFi
    Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 10:09am
X399 Fatality
1950x Threadripper
4x16gb 3600 TridentZ
1TB M.2 960 EVO
EVGA 750 PSU
650Ti EVGA GPU
Current Windows 10 OS

I'm on my second board with the same WiFi issue.

Will not connect whatsoever. Doesn't recognize any network, acts if there is an external WiFi network switch that is disabled. I can flip the WiFi on in network settings. It will be on but not recognize any networks. I updated all drivers with the disc. From my research it may be linked to me using my m.2 as my boot drive? Is there a link between WiFi issues with AMD processors and m.2 malfunction? Thanks in advance

Edited by Sixus - 12 Dec 2017 at 10:10am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Sixus Sixus wrote:

X399 Fatality
1950x Threadripper
4x16gb 3600 TridentZ
1TB M.2 960 EVO
EVGA 750 PSU
650Ti EVGA GPU
Current Windows 10 OS

I'm on my second board with the same WiFi issue.

Will not connect whatsoever. Doesn't recognize any network, acts if there is an external WiFi network switch that is disabled. I can flip the WiFi on in network settings. It will be on but not recognize any networks. I updated all drivers with the disc. From my research it may be linked to me using my m.2 as my boot drive? Is there a link between WiFi issues with AMD processors and m.2 malfunction? Thanks in advance

Never heard of using an M.2 SSD causing WiFi issues, if you have links to that information, I'd like to see it. I'm using an M.2 SSD (same as yours) in my ASRock AMD X370 board, which has WiFi like your board, and it works fine. Unless that is supposed to be strictly related to X399 boards.

The WiFi is provided by an Intel WiFi M.2 card that is not permanently connected to the board. It is hidden under the shroud that covers the IO panel on the top left side of the board. I assume both antennas are connected at the IO panel?

Can other PCs connect to your WiFi network in the same location that your X399 PC is in your house?

Did you check the Device Manager entry for the WiFi card, under Network Adapters? Any error codes or is the device working properly? The Advanced option tab allows configurations that might help.

Did you open Network and Sharing Center in Windows, with the WiFi on, and use the Set up a new connection or network option?

The latest Intel WiFi driver can be found on this page:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27309/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=83418

Edited by parsec - 12 Dec 2017 at 11:27am
Sixus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:58am

Never heard of using an M.2 SSD causing WiFi issues, if you have links to that information, I'd like to see it. I'm using an M.2 SSD (same as yours) in my ASRock AMD X370 board, which has WiFi like your board, and it works fine. Unless that is supposed to be strictly related to X399 boards.

--- I cannot find the posting that I found regarding the issue, but what it explained is that there are two pins on the m.2 wifi adapters that this individual was taping to block connections of two of the pins. The two pins specified allowed the adapter to remain "always on"

The WiFi is provided by an Intel WiFi M.2 card that is not permanently connected to the board. It is hidden under the shroud that covers the IO panel on the top left side of the board. I assume both antennas are connected at the IO panel?

--- Yes the antennas are both attached properly

Can other PCs connect to your WiFi network in the same location that your X399 PC is in your house?

--- All of my units are using the wifi just fine. The issue is that my computer doesn't even allow me to look for networks.

Did you check the Device Manager entry for the WiFi card, under Network Adapters? Any error codes or is the device working properly? The Advanced option tab allows configurations that might help.

--- trying to attach or upload a screenshot.

Did you open Network and Sharing Center in Windows, with the WiFi on, and use the Set up a new connection or network option?

--- The adapter won't flip on, so it's not recognized.

The latest Intel WiFi driver can be found on this page:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27309/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=83418

--- Thank you! I updated it to current. Though still having the same issue. It's acting as if there were an external physical switch for the wifi adapter.

Sixus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:05pm
Here is what I was looking at. Though, I may just pop open my m.2 WiFi. (As you explained it's under the shroud). And try this technique.

https://thecomputerperson.wordpress.com/2016/11/04/how-to-mask-off-the-wifi-power-off-pins-on-m-2-ngff-wireless-cards-the-old-mini-pci-pin-20-trick/
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:52am
Sixus, please give us more details of your specifications, including versions of your BIOS and W10 (64 or 32 bit).  In general, users should NOT use drivers from the CD sent with the board - almost always down level.  In this case please go here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download and DL the latest chip set drivers.  I have not used my Wi-Fi but it seems to be functioning.  Please open your BIOS and make sure the WiFi radio is not turned off (disabled).  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Sixus Sixus wrote:

Here is what I was looking at. Though, I may just pop open my m.2 WiFi. (As you explained it's under the shroud). And try this technique.

https://thecomputerperson.wordpress.com/2016/11/04/how-to-mask-off-the-wifi-power-off-pins-on-m-2-ngff-wireless-cards-the-old-mini-pci-pin-20-trick/

Interesting link and fix. I hope you don't need to resort to such a thing. A few suggestions for you to try and fix your situation.

Device Manager should show the model name of the WiFi adapter when you open the list of devices under Network adapters. What model do you have? My board uses the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168.

When Network Adapters is open in Device Manager, I have eight WAN Miniport entries. Did you happen to check them to see if they are working properly?

Do you have the Bluetooth driver installed? You'll see at least two Bluetooth entries in the Device Manager entries under Network Adapters. AFAIK the Bluetooth driver is NOT required for the WiFi adapter to operate normally.

Clear the UEFI/BIOS with the boards jumper. Please don't dismiss this as worthless, I recall it worked for someone in the past.

In the UEFI, Advanced\South Bridge Configuration screen, check that the WAN Radio option is set to Enabled. It is Enabled by default. If I set WAN Radio to Disabled in the UEFI/BIOS, when I open the WiFi option from the Network status screen in Windows, WiFi is set to Off. The Device Manager entry for the WiFi device does not indicate if WiFi is set to On or Off in Windows. As soon as I set WiFi to On in Windows, I get a list of WiFi networks.

Open the Windows Power Options, and click Additional power settings to open the Edit Plan Settings screen. Click Change advanced power settings. Find the Wireless Adapter Settings option, click the '+' to reveal Power Saving Mode. Select the Maximum Performance setting, and click Apply.

Open the Device Manager Properties for your wireless adapter card. Open the Power Management tab. Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power option.

Check the Resource tab and see if you find No conflicts in the Conflicting device list.

The Device Manager Advanced tab has many options you can configure for the WiFi adapter. You could go through those options and try changing the default settings to see if that makes a difference. Such as, set Transmit Power to Highest, or set Throughput Booster to Enabled.

In the Details tab you could check the Problem code property (all zeros is false, no problem) or the Has problem entry (mine is <false>). So many property entries, if they are worth anything for debugging.

Finally, you could try and examine the WiFi adapter itself, to see if both antennas wires are connected, or if the adapter is not inserted in its slot correctly.

Sixus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 5:26am
FIXED. Thank you all so much. Yes the southbridge radio switch in BIOS was on auto. It needs to be on enabled.

I thought I tried everything. Thank you!
jesterdtm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesterdtm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 3:20am
Greetings, thank you for posting this thread, i had the same issue and tried all the suggestions. I I thought I would post what worked for me in case it helps someone else.

I ended up disabling WAN in Southbridge
Restarting - uninstalling the drivers for the intel dual band wifi
restarting
at this point, the Asrock "connector utility" actually showed up in the systray
i set that to enable
and viola, networks started to appear.

so i think the issue stems from a bug in the asrock connector utility conflicting with windows, as before I was never able to actually find it, or open it, even though it was running in the processes.
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:14am
Yep best bet is don't install the wifi drivers provided by Asrock = bugy....if you have installed then then uninstall them. I had this problem with my first install....did an os reinstall later and just let windows install the wifi drivers and it works fine.
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic