ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Random connection loss for monitor and peripheral
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Random connection loss for monitor and peripheral

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nirmelraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random connection loss for monitor and peripheral
    Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:07pm
Greetings,

I just finished building my first pc. Specs are : 

Ryzen 1600 cpu
Asrock ab350m pro4 mobo
16gb kingston hyperx ddr4 2400mhz ram
1tb hdd
120gb ssd
corsair cx650m psu

I was facing some problems with the pc. When I turn the pc on, the monitor, keyboard and mouse loses connection. Sometimes it happens as soon as windows fully loads and sometimes it occurs 10-20 minutes later during normal usage. So I googled for some solutions and the top recommendation was to either replace the psu and try the CMOS battery removal/ reset thing. Well I replaced the psu with another new one, albeit, same brand. The issue persisted so I'm pretty sure its not the psu. Then I tried the CMOS solution (based on the last few minutes of the asrock classroom video about the x370 taichi motherboard) recently and this helped me out quite a lot with the issue. However, it now occurs much later, like about 3-5 hours into usage. It's an improvement, but I really want this problem to be solved.

Additional info:

I even took it to a pc repair shop. The technician tested my components and said that the problem was most like caused by the Windows 10 home trial i installed, as the pc worked fine for an entire day when he installed his own drive containing a full copy for windows. Though I'm not sure if I could trust what he says... 

Please help :(
All I ever wanted was to play video games but now it feels like I'm taking up a part time IT course...
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:30am
Really interesting.

Please try the DOS re-flash method for UEFI. Pick some non-latest version. EDIT: or just test your luck with the latest one. Tongue After re-flashing, clear CMOS to defaults.

Then, go to https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10, download the tool and bake a fresh install of Win 10.

If your PC had Win 10 and an Internet connection before, no matter OEM or retail (or pretty much whatever) version you had, its license will be picked up automatically every time Win 10 is installed anew.

If after all this you have no issues you can try and mess with different UEFI settings if you like.

Fingers crossed you'll be OK.

Edited by zlobster - 15 Dec 2017 at 3:34am
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
dreadkopp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadkopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:40am
When you say you loose connection to Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard ... How do you confirm you 'just' lost connection to all peripherals but not the machine froze/crashed?
Nirmelraj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nirmelraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:18am
Thank you for the reply, Zlobster :D !

I will try what you suggested. But before I do, may I know what are the consequences of DOS re-flash UEFI/ trying the newer version? Sorry If it's a dumb question, because I have no idea of what i'm about to do >.< . Also, is it ok if i reinstall a brand new copy of Windows 10 Home Trial instead? Because I cannot afford a full copy right now.

Edited by Nirmelraj - 15 Dec 2017 at 10:30am
All I ever wanted was to play video games but now it feels like I'm taking up a part time IT course...
Nirmelraj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nirmelraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by dreadkopp dreadkopp wrote:

When you say you loose connection to Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard ... How do you confirm you 'just' lost connection to all peripherals but not the machine froze/crashed?

Well, 

1. The case fans, cpu fans and gpu fans are still spinning when the problem occurs.

2. The technician from the pc repair shop said that the pc is still running and it was not frozen. How he determined that, I have no clue.

Also, I can confirm that the monitor, keyboard and mouse work just fine, because i tested them on my laptop and console.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Nirmelraj Nirmelraj wrote:

Greetings,

I just finished building my first pc. Specs are : 

Ryzen 1600 cpu
Asrock ab350m pro4 mobo
16gb kingston hyperx ddr4 2400mhz ram
1tb hdd
120gb ssd
corsair cx650m psu

I was facing some problems with the pc. When I turn the pc on, the monitor, keyboard and mouse loses connection. Sometimes it happens as soon as windows fully loads and sometimes it occurs 10-20 minutes later during normal usage. So I googled for some solutions and the top recommendation was to either replace the psu and try the CMOS battery removal/ reset thing. Well I replaced the psu with another new one, albeit, same brand. The issue persisted so I'm pretty sure its not the psu. Then I tried the CMOS solution (based on the last few minutes of the asrock classroom video about the x370 taichi motherboard) recently and this helped me out quite a lot with the issue. However, it now occurs much later, like about 3-5 hours into usage. It's an improvement, but I really want this problem to be solved.

Additional info:

I even took it to a pc repair shop. The technician tested my components and said that the problem was most like caused by the Windows 10 home trial i installed, as the pc worked fine for an entire day when he installed his own drive containing a full copy for windows. Though I'm not sure if I could trust what he says... 

Please help :(

Originally posted by Nirmelraj Nirmelraj wrote:

Well, 

1. The case fans, cpu fans and gpu fans are still spinning when the problem occurs.

2. The technician from the pc repair shop said that the pc is still running and it was not frozen. How he determined that, I have no clue.

Also, I can confirm that the monitor, keyboard and mouse work just fine, because i tested them on my laptop and console.

First, there is no such version of Windows 10 called "Home Trial". Any version of Windows (Home, Pro, Education, etc) can be installed on a trial basis of 30 days. Then you must purchase a license key to activate your installation. After 30 days, without activation certain Windows features begin to stop working, but the monitor, mouse, and keyboard will not loose their connections.

So the repair shop telling you it was the "trial version" itself causing the problem is just false. The Windows installation the shop used for testing no doubt had the correct drivers installed, which may be why they did not have a problem

You did not include your video card in your list of hardware, what are you using? No signal from the video card does not normally happen if Windows freezes. That could be a problem with the video card, or the card is not seated in its slot correctly, with its locking tab closed. You should be using the top PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. Anytime you lose the video signal, the video card or the power to the video card are the main suspects for the issue. Windows problems do not cause the video signal to suddenly disappear.

How do you know if the mouse and keyboard do not work if you cannot see anything on the monitor?

How did you install the basic drivers and software for your board and other hardware? Did you configure Windows to install all the drivers (default) or do you have control over driver installation? I've seen video problems only when Windows 10 kept installing video card drivers.

Did you change any of the UEFI/BIOS options from their default values?

Clearing the UEFI/CMOS does not fix any hardware or driver issues. If you have not changed any hardware other than the PSU, then it is a coincidence that clearing the CMOS improved the PC's operation.

What are you using as a CPU cooler? Have you run any monitoring program to check the temperatures of the various components like the CPU and video card? To check for over heating issues?

The PC case and number of cooling fans and their configuration is another factor. What PC case are you using and how many fans does it have?

When the mouse or keyboard seems to no longer work, did you try unplugging them, and connecting them again while the PC is running? That is, if you had a signal on the monitor.

When we build a PC, we are responsible for setting it up correctly and configuring it for proper operation. Building a PC is not simply putting the parts together like a model car, and you chose a more difficult system for the first time builder. So you are now training yourself in building a PC, and if you have no experience in that you have a fair amount to learn.
Nirmelraj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nirmelraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 2:29am
Hi parsec.

Sorry for the confusion, i only mentioned Home trial because it gave me an option to install that.

My GPU is a Zotac Gtx 1070 8gb Mini.

I only determined that my keyboard and mouse were not working because the LEDs stopped working too.

I downloaded the drivers for my components from the respective websites. GPu from nVidia, motherboard from Asrock. I specifically downloaded the AMD all in 1 driver, audio driver, and ethernet/LAN driver. Then i installed some programs from ninite and updated windows.

I am using the stock ryzen cooler that came with the ryzen 1600

I used MSI afterbunner and AMD Ryzen master. At idle, my cpu temps was at around 52-54c, while gpu was at 49c. When I was playing Overwatch at high preset the temps went up to 63c for CPU and 77c for GPU. I wanted to use Heaven benchmark, but it kept giving me an error. 

I am using a Tecware EDGE TG. It comes with 3 fans included, but i'm only using 2 because the motherboard doesn't have enough fan headers for the 3rd one.

Yes, whenever the problem occurs, I always unplug and plug them back in, but nothing happened.

No, I did not mess with the UEFI/ BIOS settings. Here are some pictures of my BIOS, in case I did end up unknowingly messing with something.

zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 4:33am
I feel you, man! First time building your very own PC and BAM - now you're learning IT. Tongue It has its upsides, though. Just don't make general conclusions about AMD. I've been building AMD rigs since the K6 era. Your Ryzen 1600 is a very good choice.

When you start Device Manager, do you have any yellow exclamation marks?

If possible, try and re-run the AMD chipset driver, but this time choose 'Custom' without actually installing anything. This should bring you a list of the already installed AMD drivers. Seems like some USB filer driver is messing with you. Or IDK, it may be the Moon phases. Wacko
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Nirmelraj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nirmelraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:17pm
@zlobster

Yeah, I'm definitely taking this as a positive experience Smile

I get no errors or yellow exclamations marks when I launch Device Manager.

I wanted to change my BIOS version like you suggested but not really sure how. Is it the same process as shown in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_kYLgSKpM

zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 11:20pm
Which UEFI version you have now?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic