ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

fx 8320 max socket temp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PotatoDew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fx 8320 max socket temp
    Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 10:23am
Just a question, what would the max socket temp be for the fx-8320 on a 970 extreme3 r2.0?
I'm usually around the 75C range for socket while running prime95.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 5:11pm
In general below 70 C would be optimal for the FX-line CPUs. Beyond that instability may become an issue, especially if the CPU is overclocked. The motherboard itself should be able to handle higher temperatures, so you probably don't need to worry about damaging the socket. The CPU should start to crash and throttle before that happens.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
PotatoDew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PotatoDew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 6:33pm
So I have 62C on the cores, and 78C on the socket, which should be okay?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 7:58pm
62 C / 72 C are, I think, the numbers FX-owners should generally try to stay below. You're on the limit with the cores and a bit over with the socket, but if it's stable in P95, it might be fine. In normal use the temperatures should anyways stay well below those. However, if this was my rig, I would try to set up a small fan to cool the socket, either from below the motherboard or so that it blows air over the socket towards the VRM (if this makes any sense with the cooler the CPU has).
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
PotatoDew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PotatoDew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 8:08pm
Alright. I'm also using amd's cpu cooler and I may get a new one, which should cool it down. Also, when you say stable in prime95, are you talking about no errors after 2 hours or so?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 2:48pm
If you get a tower cooler, you may need to make sure the VRM gets extra cooling. Also remember to check your motherboards documentation. Some may "require" a top-down blowing design for CPUs like the FX-8xxx and choices are pretty limited if you want to get one that can handle the TDP...

"Stable in prime95" is admittedly a slightly vague statement. Personally I've considered four hours stable as stable. Initially I tested for eight hours, but that started to seem excessive. The problem is it's stable until it fails and there's really no telling when that happens. In principle you could run it for a week without issues and then have it drop a few workers a few hours after. Would that mean that the system is unstable? Probably not in a meaningful way (unless you're testing a server that will see heavy workloads). Now, I don't think testing for fifteen minutes is as good as testing for eight hours, but in the end it's about finding a balance that you're happy with.
PotatoDew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PotatoDew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 11:22am
I'm still not sure how hot my cpu's socket can get. And when you mention extra vrm cooling, do you mean putting a fan at the back of the motherboard, or will a cpu cooler work fine (hyper 212 evo)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 4:50pm
I don't know any absolute max temperatures, only that the often recommended numbers in the overclocking community are 62C / 72C. Go beyond that and it's more and more likely you'll have issues with stability.

The VRM is on the frontside of the motherboard and cooling it from behind will do little good. The socket on the other hand can be cooled from below. The Hyper 212 Evo is a tower cooler and these are generally not great for generating airflow over the VRM, especially if they're oriented so that they do not blow air towards the rear of the case. For cooling the socket and the VRM, a top-down blowing design is best (such as the Noctua NH-C14S), but these are often rated for lower TDPs than tower coolers. This is why overclockers tend to stick with tower coolers and sometimes resort to adding small extra fans for the VRM and/or the socket.
PotatoDew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PotatoDew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:04am
1. Is there a max temperature for the VRM? Also, how would I view the VRM temperature?
2. Someone above said "if it's stable in p95, it should be fine". Does this mean that it's okay?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 4:47pm
1. There is, but it depends on the used components. It should be over 100C in any case. Your motherboard does not have a VRM temperature sensor, so your only way of finding out its temperature is measuring it yourself.
2. It was me (I'm the only one answering this thread) and I was referring to the socket temperature. 78 C should not be enough to damage the socket and if your CPU remains stable, then I don't think it's a huge issue since in normal use temperatures should in any case be lower. However, if it was my rig, I would try to keep it under the 72C more experienced overclockers recommend.

By the way, have you overclocked your CPU?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic