ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi short circuit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deckard17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi short circuit
    Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 10:30pm
Hello
In the last days I built a new system based on the ASRock X399 Taichi board.
Everything was wired fine and power on tests (without monitor) were successfully. (Dr. Debug codes only showed on the starting phase)
I then connected a monitor and mouse/keyboard and browsed about 15 minutes through the EFI BIOS settings. (But I didn't change anything. Just disabled WiFi. No OC settings.)

Later on I tried to install Windows 10 from a USB-stick. But in the early beginning (after you choose your language settings), the computer just powered of! I couldn't power on with the case power button (only the LAN LED on the back was still active).
I power cycled the PSU switch and then the blue Motherboard LED was active and I could power on the computer with the case power button.

Just a moment later I heard a loud noise from the motherboard and I could see a small flame coming from an electronic module. It smelled very strong. I immediately plugged off the power cable and was very frustrated about this situation. (its a very expensive system for me)

Today I removed the board from the case and tried to locate the short circuit. (I found it only by my nose LOL)

I attached two pictures. I'm not skilled for electronic modules, but maybe somebody can help me to identify the reason for this short circuit. I don't think I've done something wrong, and the computer was running fine at least during the 15 min. in the EFI BIOS.

Hopefully it's not my fault. Cry

Thanks for any hints... (do you know, how ASrock handles such issues? Warranty or just bad luck?)

btw, on the motherboard backside of this position, everything seems ok.

zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:46am
Bruh! RMA!
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 2:02am
they say with electronics they either go pop in first few hours or last for years....................
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 5:32am
Deckard17, looks like a resister or capacitor is gone (totally fried) from your VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) which supplies power to your CPU Core Voltage, maybe more than 100 Amps at times.  Definitely open an ASRock support ticket and send them the pictures and ask for an RMA.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

Edited by MisterJ - 17 Dec 2017 at 8:36am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Deckard17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deckard17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:59am
MisterJ, yes it's in the VMR area. Could such an issue also damage my (expensive) Threadripper processor? I really hope not...
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Deckard17 Deckard17 wrote:

MisterJ, yes it's in the VMR area. Could such an issue also damage my (expensive) Threadripper processor? I really hope not...

In theory, it should not, especially if you left the OVP and OCP enabled in UEFI. In practice, only a new mobo will tell. Fingers crossed!
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
ssateneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:28pm
Call Asrock, get RMA. Thats all you can do. Don't try to fix it yourself, your warranty will be ruined then. After RMA, if it still doesn't work, maybe CPU shot, RMA that too.
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:52pm
It looks like one of the VRM power chips/phases failed for some reason. A surface mount capacitor next to it is gone, one of the eight (now seven) yellow components in a line below the heat sink.

Is the CPU heat sink pressing on the VRM heat sink? It looks like two of the heat pipes could be contacting the VRM heat sink.

No damage on the underside of the board? That is where I would look for a short circuit, particularly that close to a standoff.

Impossible to predict if the CPU is damaged or not, but it is possible it could be damaged. When you remove the CPU, look inside the socket for any damage.

If you cannot return the board to you retailer, you can arrange an RMA with ASRock's European website. Go to your board's information page, click Support on the upper right and then click the Repair/RMA link.

Deckard17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deckard17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 9:42pm
parcec, thanks for your explanations.
The CPU heat sink has no contact to the VRM heat sink.

Even the pipes has no contact to the VRM heat sink (it's difficult to see it in the following picture):

And here's a picture of the underside (seems fine for me):

I just opened the CPU socket. And this looks good too for me:

So, hopefully the CPU is not damaged. I will see it later, when I got a replacement board.

I hope my retailer will handle this as fast as possible as I really looked forward to this system and now I think I have to wait several weeks to continue. But yes...sh*t happens...sometimes

Edited by Deckard17 - 17 Dec 2017 at 9:44pm
TANWare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANWare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:47am
The CPU looks goo but where the short occurred it seems that there is an abundance of solder. It seems RMA is the issue here. Since it was not DOA the manufacturer under warranty is probably the best bet.

Edited by TANWare - 18 Dec 2017 at 4:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic