ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Actual maximum memory for Q1900-ITX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneiric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Actual maximum memory for Q1900-ITX
    Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 1:03pm
I'm in the midst of buying a Q1900-ITX motherboard and have noted in various information sources that there seems to be some uncertainty about whether it can actually accept a maximum 16 GB of RAM. The "Caution" in the manual seems to specifically allude to Windows installations. I'm running Debian.

Can I safely/effectively install two 8 GB RAM modules on this motherboard?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 9:58pm
You have nothing to worry about, unless the Debian version you are using is a 32bit OS.

The warning you are referring to:

Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows® 32-bit OS. For Windows® 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation.

The 32bit version of Windows can only address ~4GB of memory, due to the 32bit addressing limitation.

If more than 4GB of memory is installed in such a system, all the memory exists in that scenario, and any extra beyond 4GB could be used by the ASRock XFast RAM utility, for example. But a Windows 32bit installation will only be able to address and use ~4GB of memory for the OS.

As the warning states, For Windows® 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation.

If your Debian installation is 64bit, all of your 16GB of memory will be usable.
oneiric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneiric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 11:02pm
Thanks much.

(Sorry if the question was tedious, but I am risk averse...and kinda in a spot. I've already made a mistake by purchasing and installing an Intel D2550MUD2, assuming, based on past experience, that all Atom motherboards are rock-solid when it comes to Linux...this one has the Cedar Trail processor, which incorporates a proprietary GPU driver, which isn't supported by Debian...you should see my display...the joke's on me! And I don't want anymore screw-ups.)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 10:14am
I don't blame you one bit, anyone in Linux land finds their main support resource to be themselves most of the time. Wink

I don't know if the link below will be new to you, or of any value, but I searched for Celeron graphics drivers on Intel's download page, specifically for Linux. Intel does have some pre-compiled graphics drivers for Linux (apparently), and they provide a couple links to open source sites with graphics drivers for Linux.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/13815/Intel-Graphics-Drivers-for-Linux-

If you find them useful and have a chance, let us know, actually either way, good or bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic