ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unable to power on?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to power on?
    Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 3:02pm
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
Motherboard : Asrock X370 Taichi
CPU Fan : Cryorig H7
GPU : EVGA Nvidia Geforce 1070
Power Supply : Thermaltake SMART 650W Bronze
Chassis : Cooler Master HAF 932
Ram : PNY Anarchy 16gb 2400mhz

I'm not particularly sure what the problem is but I cannot power up my newly-built PC. I assume that I don't have the pins for the power switch correctly in place. I press the power button on my chassis and for a second the fan on the power supply turns but then immediately stops. Is my powers supply inadequate? Perhaps my chassis's power switch pins are broken? I don't know. Any bit of advice would help.

Edited by Haku - 18 Dec 2017 at 2:35am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 4:39pm
Looking at your board with the CPU at the top and the slots located at the bottom your power switch should be connected to the last 2 pins on the top 4 pin row of the front panel header, the reset switch should be on the last 2 pins of the 5 pin row beneath it. The Hard disk indicator should be connected on the first 2 pins of the bottom 5 pin row and the power LED to the first 2 pins of the top 4 pin row.

By the sound of it you already have the power switch in the right place but your power from the PSU may be connected improperly. Make sure your 8 pin CPU power is connected to the board (4+4) not a PCIe 8 pin connector (6+2). Double check that all your connections are solid and in the right places, refer to your manual to make sure (both for the board and PSU). Ensure your RAM is in slots A2 and B2 and that all your components are properly seated.

Post back if this doesn't get you going Wink
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 10:50pm
OK, what the mobo model? Pls don't tell me it's an AB350M. Please!

Maybe you've seen  http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=6962&PN=2&title=ab350m-pro4-wont-post-help-please ?

My suggestions:

- leave just 1 stick of RAM (check manual where you should put it, since it's just 1 piece)
- disconnect all peripheral cables; leave only the power ones
- check if CPU and heatsink are seated properly (http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=6953&title=asrock-ab350m-pro4-aseries-monitor-issues)
- unplug all front panel cables from the header; leave just the power button one
- check if some jumper is left improperly, e.g. CMOS
- try now and let us know?

Maybe it's a short circuit somewhere and PSU's protection is triggered?

Edited by zlobster - 17 Dec 2017 at 10:59pm
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Haku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 2:41am
Edited my post, somehow forgot about it. It's an Asrock X370 Taichi. The LED on it is slowly fading in and out which I assume means it's powered up. The LED on the Cryorig would also light up if the LED pin header were plugged in, which it isn't because particular complications that I want to work out first.

Edited by Haku - 18 Dec 2017 at 2:44am
Haku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 3:00am
I do have the 4+4 pin connector on the top left of the motherboard correctly and the 6+2 pin connector on my 1070 GPU. Outside of that, everything seems to be properly plugged in. Unplugged everything and put it back into place until I got clicks and what not. Thank you about the ram though, I had those put into the wrong slots, but it didn't fix my problem. I still cannot turn my PC on properly.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 3:34am
Aww! Ouch I hate to see people starting with so much enthusiasm and then left with that bitter feeling.

What else I can suggest? Here we're going into more 'esoteric' thoughts.

- Bad PSU? Can you borrow some other PSU?
- CPU not seated properly?
- CPU cooler not seated properly? Even though I don't believe it can build heat that fast.
- Mobo shorting out somewhere, e.g. touching chassis somewhere? Try running it in minimal configuration on a wooden surface.
- Fixing screws too tight?
- I've seen chassis fan screws (the thick ones, for plastic) chipping out metallic splinters from the chassis. These splinters later shorted out some surface mounted IC. Yeah, that happens too.

I don't know what else could it be. Since you can't even get to POST/UEFI there is no debug code to see. This means the problem is rather more mechanical or electrical than anything else.

One last thing, with the front panel header stripped, you could try to mimic the power button with a screwdriver. This should sort out if there is a problem with chassis' power button. DANGEROUS if you don't know what you're doing. Not very elegant method but sometimes that's all we're left with.

If none of this helps, I'd suggest you RMA the mobo and/or the PSU. Fingers crossed!

1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic