ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASMedia controller on Fatal1ty Z77 Professional
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASMedia controller on Fatal1ty Z77 Professional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DevillEars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 4:07am
Hi parsec,

Many thanks for taking the time and making the effort to respond.
What confuses this issue a bit is that the second (new) desktop system is built in another Lian-Li Diamond Series chassis - the PC-Z70 which is basically a full tower version of the mid-tower PC-Z60 and comes equipped with three hot-swap 3-bay modules to provide for a total of 9 3.5" HDDs.

This new system, as listed in my earlier post, is built around the X99X Killer board with an i7-5820K CPU, 32GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133 RAM, a 512GB Samsung 850PRO SSD (as system drive), 6 x 6TB 3.5" HDDs; 3 x 3TB 3.5" HDDs plus the usual pairing of DVD-R/W and BD-R/W.

This X99 system was built from new recently and Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit used as the OS.

This X99 system has an add-on PCIe 2.0 1x 2-port SATA6G controller card to provide for the two drives not catered for by the X99's 10 x SATA6G ports. Currently, the two optical drives are running on the add-on card and the SSD and all 9 x HDDs (in their hot-swap bays).

THIS X99 SYSTEM DOES NOT LIST ANY OF THE INTERNAL DRIVES MOUNTED IN HOT-SWAP BAYS AS REQUIRING "SAFE REMOVAL". 

The only time any devices are listed as requiring "Safe Removal" is when USB devices (flash drives or hard drives) are plugged in via either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0.

I've checked both systems and compared the results for the settings in the BIOS and the settings under Device Manager (Policies and Details tabs) and the only differences are in the Device Manager Details section (BIOS and Policies tie up). Under Details, all of the entries that would logically be linked to some Registry entry governing "Safe Removal Required" status, are <false> on the PC-Z70 system and on the PC-Z60 system the Intel ports all also show <false> while the Asmedia ports all show <true>.

The problem is that I can't find any mechanism by which to amend these Registry entries besides RegEdit but do NOT know enough about them to be able to:

a) Identify which Registry Entries need to be changed
b) What the valid Registry entry values are and how these map to <true> or <false>
c) How to make the necessary changes
d) How to save a copy of the registry before embarking on this exercise
e) How to re-load the registry in the (very likely) event that I screw up the exercise Wink
f) How to test everything

It is this lack of experience/knowledge with respect to the Windows Registry that has caused me to try to seek out an alternative mechanism to achieve the changes...

FYI: For any system equipped with hot-swap bays, the port/drive pairing for any Intel chipset SATA port can be set to "Internal" (in the BIOS under Storage section) which overrides any quasi-automatic setting of "hot-swap".

All drives on both systems have been set to:

a) Quick Removal: Unchecked
b) Performance: Checked

Despite this, those Asmedia-connected drives still show "Safe Removal Required" as <true> under Device Manager Details...Cry

So, sorry, but that did not work...

Dave

Edited by DevillEars - 12 Sep 2015 at 4:10am
If music be the love of food, eat on
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic