ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another AB350M Ryzen Build Not Posting!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabrielconroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another AB350M Ryzen Build Not Posting!
    Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 5:44am
I've read the two recent threads featuring an almost identical set of problems to mine.

Here goes...

My set-up is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mobo: ASRock AB350M Pro4
RAM: Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 (on QVL)
GPU: MSI GTX 1060
PSU: Corsair VS650

I've already tested the motherboard with CPU, RAM and GPU out of the case - the fans run, but there is no POST or video signal (through HDMI from the GPU).

All the power cables have been plugged in correctly - I don't need to absolutely ram them in, presumably? The CPU cable is in the CPU socket, the large ATX cable in the main mobo power slot, the PCI/E cable in the GPU.

I've tested the GPU in my old computer, and it works fine.

I actually had a different (slightly) stick of Corsair RAM - I bought some more that is specified in the QVL, but no luck. 

I've tried reseating the CPU a couple of times. At this stage the thermal paste is not exactly evenly spread and it's hard to rule out there being any on the pins - although I've looked very closely and can't see any. I guess I'll have to try cleaning it off with alcohol and coffee filter paper.

There isn't a speaker on the mobo, so no beeps. I could try detaching the speaker from my old mobo (Asus M4A785TD) and attaching it, I guess...

This is getting expensive and very frustrating, to the point I want to return the mobo and CPU - but I get the feeling the vendor might take issue with there being thermal paste on the CPU, costing me even more.

Any ideas? I can try my old PSU to see if that's it - but it's only 400W, so I don't know if it would even power all this anyway.

edit: forgot to mention that all the fans are running fine. At present all that's connected are the CPU, GPU, RAM and the power on case header, and the relevant power cables.

HELP!

Edited by gabrielconroy - 19 Dec 2017 at 5:56am
johndms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johndms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 7:14am
The only things I can see you haven't mentioned as having tried. Double check ram is in the proper board slots. A2 for single stick, A2/B2 for two. It does seem to matter.

Even though it's never posted, unplug the PSU and remove the cmos battery for a few minutes. You can even short the CLR_CMOS jumpers with a paperclip or something while unplugged. Section 2.5 in manual, I believe, explains this.

I've heard of some boards taking up to 10 minutes before the first post. Perhaps give it some additional time.

As much as I like Corsair ram, I've seen dozens upon dozens of No-POST claims from those using corsair vengeance. Let's hope it's just a coincidence. I use G.Skill myself and have had no issues.

Update bios ASAP if you get it to POST.
gabrielconroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabrielconroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 7:51am
I've actually tried clearing the CMOS before, but not sure if I did it right. I didn't take out the battery, though.

One other thing that's odd - when my keyboard and mouse were connected and the fans were running, none of the lights on either lit up. Would they not receive power until the board posted? Or does that indicate a problem with the PSU?

I was going to try my old 400W PSU, but it doesn't have a CPU cable with the right number of pins (4 instead of 6).
johndms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johndms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:14am
Well, as I'm sure you're aware, a keyboard and mouse isn't even needed for a system to post. I doubt your PSU is the problem. If the fans are spinning, it's probably attempting to post.

Nearly every Non-POST issue I've come across is memory related. Occasionally you'll come across someone who swaps their GPU for another or tries DVI instead of HDMI and it works, but Ryzen is horrible with memory support.

My only remaining piece of advice would be to try yet another kit of ram. I can't stress enough how often memory ends up being the problem. Maybe a local computer repair shop has a non-Corsair kit they'd be willing to let you try.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabrielconroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:18am
I just ripped out the case speaker from my old case to try to get some error beep codes from the motherboard. Problem is that the number of pins don't seem to match up, and the various combinations I've tried don't do anything.

Speaker looks like this https://imgur.com/a/Lj2Uy

While the pins on the motherboard seem to only have one pin for the speaker: https://imgur.com/a/OjdKv

Bit of a side issue, but any ideas how to get this to offer some insight? I've tried plugging it across the top four pins in both orientations, as well as just plugging the end sockets in the far right top pin. Nada.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabrielconroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:19am
Originally posted by johndms johndms wrote:

Well, as I'm sure you're aware, a keyboard and mouse isn't even needed for a system to post. I doubt your PSU is the problem. If the fans are spinning, it's probably attempting to post.

Nearly every Non-POST issue I've come across is memory related. Occasionally you'll come across someone who swaps their GPU for another or tries DVI instead of HDMI and it works, but Ryzen is horrible with memory support.

My only remaining piece of advice would be to try yet another kit of ram. I can't stress enough how often memory ends up being the problem. Maybe a local computer repair shop has a non-Corsair kit they'd be willing to let you try.

Yeah, I agree. It's just getting pretty pricey at this stage! I've spent over £250 just on RAM and it doesn't even work... :(

Edited by gabrielconroy - 19 Dec 2017 at 8:20am
johndms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johndms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:26am
Plug the speaker horizontally across the 5v dummy dummy speaker pins. One way or the other.

Ram is insanely expensive now, I know how frustrating it is. My kit (F4-3000C15D-16GVKB) was purchased at $100us, it's now $200. Crazy.

nvm, I see you've already tried that with the speaker, I didn't read your post very well. No further ideas.

Edited by johndms - 19 Dec 2017 at 8:28am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabrielconroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:46am
Since I know that speaker works (since I'd tested the GPU in the case it came from about half an hour earlier, complete with beeps) and it's not giving beeps in the new motherboard no matter how I connect the speaker, does that mean...the motherboard is somehow broken? 

Could power be passing through it to run the fans, but it still be broken enough not to even start the posting sequence enough to generate error beeps?
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:21pm
Uhm, Ryzen CPUs do NOT have in iGPU. This means you NEED a dedicated GPU to run the system.

Unless you buy APU (A10, A12, etc.) you WON'T get any video  from the motherboard monitor connectors.

Don't worry. It's quite common. AMD first put APU everywhere, now they stopped putting iGPU on their chips. :D
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabrielconroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:24pm
Thanks, but I know that. I have an MSI GTX 1060 that I've tested in another motherboard (it works).

Can anyone tell me if the fact the speaker not giving any beeps means that it's the motherboard that's kaput? I can send it back and order another one, if so. Costs starting to rack up!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic