ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AB350 Pro 4 Constant BSOD new Windows 10 install
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro 4 Constant BSOD new Windows 10 install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooptart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Pro 4 Constant BSOD new Windows 10 install
    Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 11:43am
I just recently built a new computer with the only old pieces being a 256gb Samsung EVO SSD and a 500gb 5400 RPM HDD. Both drives were completely wiped before installing W10.

The build is as follows:

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro 4
CPU: Ryzen 5 1500 X
GPU: GTX 1070ti
RAM: GeiL EVO Potenza 2x4gb GPR48GB2400C16DC

I just updated the BIOS to 3.30 a little while ago and the instability increased significantly. I could play games for maybe 2-3 hours before, but now I can barely open google Chrome. I currently have the XMP profile set for this RAM. RAM is currently seated in A2/B2 slots.

The BSOD errors vary, including REGISTRY_FILTER_DRIVER_EXCEPTION (WdFilter.sys), MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP and others I cannot remember. MEMORY_MANAGEMENT is by far the most common error.

I have run sfc /scannow and run the windows memory checker tool. Both have been able to be run successfully, but there were errors that were fixed initially with the first windows memory checker tool. A pass after the problem was resolved returned no errors. I have checked all of my motherboard and GPU drivers. I have no altered the CPU at all in the BIOS. I have run registry cleaners. I have followed many little guides for fixes to each individual BSOD. I have run out of ideas for what I can check on my end other than simply RAM compatibility problems. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by pooptart - 19 Dec 2017 at 12:08pm
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 4:37pm
Well, your RAM is not listed in the motherboard's memory QVL, so that's a good candidate for your stability issues. You could try running the RAM at 2133 MHz (the speed at which the only Geil RAM listed in the memory QVL runs). If that doesn't help, then I think your best bet is getting a new set of RAM sticks.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:08pm
All these BSOD indicate a hardware fault or mismatch.

RAM, as you initially suspected is the most likely thing to blame here.

As PetrolHead noted, try running your RAM with the default JEDEC speeds and see if it works OK.

Then we can proceed further.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
pooptart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooptart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 12:35am
Unfortunately when I got the components for this machine I didn't think to check for RAM module compatibility aside from figuring out the RAM required is DDR4. As PetrolHead noted the RAM I have purchased is not on the QVL. Last night I purchased a new stick that was on the QVL - hopefully that'll be the solution.

I will fiddle with manually inputting timings and frequencies tonight to match JEDEC standards so I at least have some kind of working computer.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 2:04am
Originally posted by pooptart pooptart wrote:

Unfortunately when I got the components for this machine I didn't think to check for RAM module compatibility aside from figuring out the RAM required is DDR4. As PetrolHead noted the RAM I have purchased is not on the QVL. Last night I purchased a new stick that was on the QVL - hopefully that'll be the solution.

I will fiddle with manually inputting timings and frequencies tonight to match JEDEC standards so I at least have some kind of working computer.

if you are comfy with adjusting ram in bios then i fully recommend using what most of us are using on ryzen to help with memory

http://www.overclock.net/t/1640919/ryzen-dram-calculator-overclocking-dram

you can basically 100% say all brands will run at stated speed with the adjusted settings from this calculator

and almost all can get either faster than xmp and or lower timings with it

i suggest starting off with using settings from 2400 safe selection
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 2:05am
one other quick thing though

your windows 10 media

is it a fresh download from microsoft or an early release ?

the early versions with ryzen is a sure fire bet for trouble
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
pooptart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooptart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 5:57am
I am comfortable adjusting RAM through BIOS, yes. I will look at this link later tonight, thanks.

It was a fresh download of the Windows 10 USB media creation tool. Made the image and built the computer last week on Wednesday, 12/13.
pooptart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooptart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 5:25am
I was not able to fiddle with stuff last night, but the new RAM arrived today.

I ordered CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 which  is on the Memory QVL list. However the list specifies version 3.31. I was not able to pick my version and was given 5.30. I would hope that I do not need that exact version to run this model ram?
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 5:52am
There's only one way to find out... One would hope that the newer version works at least as well as the old one, but with RAM you never know.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
pooptart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooptart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 6:59am
New RAM is in. Have been booted about 5 minutes. I restored the default BIOS settings before I swapped the RAM out.

Will report back with success or failure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic