ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 - No power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IV1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 - No power
    Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 11:52pm
Hi,

I have an ASRock Z97 Extreme4 and I am unable to boot the PC. This has been happening on and off the past month but now I am completely unable to get it to power on. Previously, I unplugged the PSU and switched sockets back and forth and randomly got it to work - again, now it is not booting at all.

Before these issues started occurring, the system could randomly boot up by itself with no one else being near the machine. Could this have some connection to the issue?

The motherboard is not receiving any power at all - no lights lit, no signs of life. I have tried another PSU with the same result.

Any ides on how to resolve?

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Intel i7 4790K
ASRock Z97 Extreme 4
16GB G.Skill RipJawsX
650 Watt Corsair RM series 80+ Gold
500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
2TB WD Green
Corsair Hydro Cooler (unsure about model)

Edited by IV1916 - 24 Aug 2015 at 11:59pm
guideX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guideX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 2:58pm
I have a board just like this, same version, it just reboots over and over again forever.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 3:08pm
So there are not indicator LEDs lit up when the board is powered (does not have to be turned on), not even the LEDs on the LAN port?

If you know the PSUs are both good and you are still not getting power then your best bet is to strip the board down to just the board, CPU and one RAM module outside the case. While you have it out check for any shorts or burned components near the power connections. If the board still won't display any LEDs or power on then you should probably begin the RMA process if your board is still covered by warranty. 

I have the exact same board and have had no problems with it at all, sadly, sometimes components fail. It could be poor quality power (cheap PSU), bad overclocks burning the voltage circuits out, something dropped onto the board and damaging components, the list is nearly endless though in my experience the board being poor quality or failing due to manufacturer error is exceedingly uncommon. Usually if the board works right out of the box it will continue to work for a good long time. You are by far more likely to have a DOA board than have one fail. That said, it still happens sometimes and it royally sucks. 

Good luck, RMA info can be found here.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:41pm
Dear customer,
This is ASRock Technical Support Department.

We provide some suggestions for your case:
1. Please refer the manual page.20 use jumper to clear CMOS settings: http://download.asrock.com/manual/Z97%20Extreme4.pdf
This action should let the board be able to boot up again.
2. Please flash the BIOS to latest version P1.80 as the link:  
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS 
3. If the problem still, please apply the RMA process for this board. 

If any, please feel free to let us know.

Kindest regards,
ASRock TSD  

engineire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engineire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 2:08am
I have the exact same problem and displays no power at this time. I'd had the system power up problem for months, but now it boots with no power or display for 30 seconds, turns off for a few and then continues to boot and run for 30 seconds (no display of power or monitor) over and over. We put this machine into service a year ago as a duplicator for our Primera sysem and failed many times to dupe more than a handful of CDs/DVDs/blu-ray. It seemed to just lose power after having been on for a short time, and caused errors with the Primera duplicators. Any ideas as to what is causing the board to fail?
engineire
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by engineire engineire wrote:

I have the exact same problem and displays no power at this time. I'd had the system power up problem for months, but now it boots with no power or display for 30 seconds, turns off for a few and then continues to boot and run for 30 seconds (no display of power or monitor) over and over. We put this machine into service a year ago as a duplicator for our Primera sysem and failed many times to dupe more than a handful of CDs/DVDs/blu-ray. It seemed to just lose power after having been on for a short time, and caused errors with the Primera duplicators. Any ideas as to what is causing the board to fail?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what, "... it boots with no power or display for 30 seconds...".

"It boots" implies something is happening with the PC, it is running, fans are spinning, drives are starting, etc. If you press the power button and nothing at all happens, no activity from the PC at all, that is not booting.

If you mean the PC starts, but you simply get nothing on your monitor for 30 seconds, I don't understand how the PC has "no power" or "displays no power".

The Z97 Extreme4 board has the Dr Debug LEDs that displays POST codes when the PC starts. Is the Dr Debug display on and displaying codes when you start the PC? Do you see one code displayed continuously on the Dr Debug display?

If the PC seems to lose power after operating for a short time, did you try another power supply?

The Primera duplicators I found use a USB 3.0 interface to the PC, correct? USB connected devices slow down the POST process, which may be why POST takes a long time. Your board has USB 3.0 ports provided by the Intel chipset, and the add on ASMedia USB 3.0 chip. Which USB 3.0 ports are you using?

What model of PSU are you using?

If you've had problems with the board for months, and you are sure it is the board, why didn't you return it to the retailer for a replacement, or send it to ASRock by an RMA process?

If you've had
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic