ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Frequent HARD FREEZES  after 1-2 hours of usage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frequent HARD FREEZES after 1-2 hours of usage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frequent HARD FREEZES after 1-2 hours of usage
    Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 9:17am

Hi folks...

Decided to build my first PC for my dad who wanted a budget gaming PC to use for himself and my son when he visits.

I'd added components to my PC at home and figured I could handle it.

I went with PC Gamer's budget cyber-monday build (http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-a-budget-gaming-pc-built-w...)

It included:

CPU - Ryzen 3 1300X

GPU - GTX 1060 3GB

MOBO - ASRock AB350M Pro 4

RAM - GeIL Evo Potenza 2x4GB DDR4-2400

HD - Crucial BX300 240GB SSD

PSU - Rosewill Valens 80+ Gold 500W

So after installation, I put a fresh copy of Windows 10 on the SSD, and completed all updates (nvidia drivers, windows 10 updates, any basic hardware updates I could complete). I added Steam, VLC, AVAST, and Origin with no issues. I set Steam to install a game overnight (slow internet speeds) and when I woke up, the computer was frozen about midway through the install. Fans were still working but complete freeze. I reboot the next day and after finishing the install, I start the game and another freeze. This time, upon reboot, the computer locks up again within 5 minutes or so.

If I let it sit for a few hours, I can get it to act normal for another 1-2 hours. (continued)

Edited by Mr Bungle - 22 Dec 2017 at 9:18am
Mr Bungle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 9:18am

Now I have limited technical expertise, but here is what I've tried:

I first searched forums and have found similar issues, but most of them don't seem to have been solved. Some links: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3535484/asrock-a...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3594663/asrock-a...

I removed the RAM and reinserted it.

I've monitored the temps using CPUID HW monitor (nothing crazy even right before crashes)

I've flash updated the UEFI

I've made settings changes as suggested by this link (https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-windows-10-...)

the link includes things like - running memory check - reset virtual memory - run disk check - run system file checker - disable c-states

Just ran MemTest86 and there were no errors.

Took out GPU and put it back on.

I'm usually pretty good at hunting out solutions to problems I've had, but this is the first time I've had to write a forum post. Any help or suggestions you guys could offer would be much appreciated. I'm hoping to fix this by Christmas for my dad. These frequent freezes are driving me crazy!

zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 9:56pm
After every HW removal/update/re-seating you MUST clear the CMOS. Clearing the CMOS forces the mobo to enumerate the installed hardware once again.

Simply removing and then putting the RAM again does absolutely nothing.

You could check Win 10 event logs to see if any errors pops up before the freeze.

Honestly, it could be something pretty trivial. It may seem odd to you, but even clearing the CMOS has it own specifics. You could try enabling/disabling memory training; boost Vsoc to 1.1V;
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Masardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 3:57am
I have this motherboard and the exact same problem, which started a few weeks ago (after 2 months of using). Problem seems to go away for a few hours if the computer is left off for a while, then the freezing returns. Normally, the sound still continues for about 5 seconds.

Have you solved the problem yet? There's mention of changing Vsoc voltage as well, but have no idea how to that within the BIOS.
Mr Bungle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 7:02am
I cleared the CMOS to no avail.  Still getting same freezes.  

Here's what I got from the event log.  Nothing directly proceeds the freeze, but here are some of the error messages I get after booting up...

Event ID#360 -
Windows Hello for Business provisioning will not be launched. 
Device is AAD joined ( AADJ or DJ++ ): Not Tested 
User has logged on with AAD credentials: No 
Windows Hello for Business policy is enabled: Not Tested 
Local computer meets Windows hello for business hardware requirements: Not Tested 
User is not connected to the machine via Remote Desktop: Yes 
User certificate for on premise auth policy is enabled: Not Tested 
Machine is governed by none policy. 

Event ID#10016 -
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 7:23am
Hmm, typical Windoze cr@p in the log. Are you sure you have nothing else under 'Windows Logs -> System'? Mine is running fine and I'm still getting tons of errors.

Did you check if the CPU & cooler are seated properly? Other cables? Did you install AMD chipset drivers?

You could also try with just 1 stick of RAM. If issues still persist, swap it for the other stick.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Masardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 9:15am
Alright, I think I've got a solution:

Open Device Manager -> Display Adapters, then right click your GPU, select Update Driver. Click the bottom option that allows you to browse your computer for driver software, and then the option that allows you to pick from a list of available drivers from your computer. Choose the 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' and proceed.

By doing this I've ran into no freezes for a few hours, so it's not determined whether the freezes are completely gone, or just became more rare. I have also not tested any games, but I think they are going to perform worse as, by doing this, it probably won't use the NVIDIA drivers.

Mr Bungle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 3:09pm
So haven't been on long enough to see if it freezes, but gaming quality is horrible with the Windows display drivers.

If my computer doesn't freeze up after switching, does this mean our culprit is probably the Nvidia drivers?
Mr Bungle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 4:53pm
Computer just froze again...  watching YouTube, screen froze, sound stuttered and then died. Right around the 2 hour mark of being turned on.  
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 8:36pm
Seriously, default Win drivers for video? Come on!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic