ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme 6 - random SATA boot fail codes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Extreme 6 - random SATA boot fail codes
    Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 5:24am
Hey,
Got this brand new Z97 Extreme 6 and I'm experiencing boot failure 50% of the time. Resetting fixes it, or powering on and off 1-3 times.

I have 3 SSDs and 2 HDDs connected, sometimes I get the error A2 on the LEDS, then if I disconnect one HDD I get A0. Then if I reconnect it boots. Then next day it won't boot on the first time, I reset 2 times and it works.

All my HDDs and SSDs are fine, used to work 100% with another MOBO before, used CHKDSK on all of them.

It's its RANDOM boot fail with SATA error codes.

Any ideas?

I already tried every single possible SATA port configuration;
All the hardware is fine;
I've tried all the different cables I have here (I have tons) and no deal;
I've tried different PSU cables (modular), doesn't change anything.

Could it be the most recent firmware is bugged?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 2:00pm
I've had a Z97 Extreme6 since it was introduced, and while I have had occasional drive recognition problems when new drives are added to the board, I don't have the problem you are having.

Lots to go over, starting with:

What OS are you using?

What SATA mode are you using on each SATA controller, IDE, AHCI, or RAID (RAID on Intel only.)

What SATA drivers have you installed, or do you just use the OS defaults?

Do these problems happen with all your drives, or just some in particular?

Have you ever tried clearing the UEFI/BIOS to fix your problem?

Are you using the Fast Boot option?

In the BIOS, Advanced -> Storage Configuration screen, each SATA port shows the drive connected to it. If you click on the drive, you'll see an option for SATA Device Type. Did you set those to either SSD or Hard Drive for each drive (only available on the Intel ports.)

The POST codes you see, Ax, such as A2 are SATA disk drive related problems.

Your board has three SATA chipsets, the main Intel with six SATA III ports, the six lower ports in the "stack" of ports as the board would be seen mounted in a standard case.

It also has two ASMedia SATA chips, each controlling two ports, which are the four ports at the top of the stack of SATA ports. In general, the Intel SATA ports are much more stable, dependable, and faster with SSDs. That is easily demonstrated with benchmark tests.

Personally, I only use the Intel SATA ports, and only use the ASMedia SATA ports temporarily. I would suggest only using the Intel SATA ports for a test.

Starting with the previous Intel chipset release, the 8 series such as the Z87, the SATA release protocol was updated (for example, from 3.1 to 3.2) and that change left some older drives behind. Their hardware and/or firmware does not meet the new standards. Even SSDs like the OCZ Vertex 2, or any SSD with a SandForce 1200 series controller, will not work correctly with the newest Intel chipsets. Depending upon how old your HDDs are, they may be affected by that too.

When any drive is initially connected to the board, I find it is recognized fine in the BIOS, but many times will not be seen in Windows. That happens with new model SSDs, but I am not referring to the situation where a new out of the box drive must be initialized in Windows Disk Management before it is recognized. These are drives that are formatted and contain data. It will take one or two restarts before the drive is recognized. But once it is, I can shutdown the PC, turn of the PSU, and when started again, the drives are all there. Physically removing them can cause them to not be seen later on.

Have you ever checked the BIOS to see if the drives are recognized, when they are not in your OS?

Darkz0r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 6:42am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I've had a Z97 Extreme6 since it was introduced, and while I have had occasional drive recognition problems when new drives are added to the board, I don't have the problem you are having.

Lots to go over, starting with:

What OS are you using? 
Win 7 pro 64bits

What SATA mode are you using on each SATA controller, IDE, AHCI, or RAID (RAID on Intel only.)
AHCI only

What SATA drivers have you installed, or do you just use the OS defaults?
OS defaults, never changed anything driver related even since installed this windows 1-2 yrs ago. Driver is 6.1.7600.16385 21/06/2006

Do these problems happen with all your drives, or just some in particular?
Just one drive in particular, I just booted my PC now and it booted fine, but usually the problem happens with a WDC wd1002FAEX-00Z3A0 drive. Its a 7200rpm 1tb drive 

Have you ever tried clearing the UEFI/BIOS to fix your problem?
Yep tried several times when I installed this mobo!

Are you using the Fast Boot option?
Nope

In the BIOS, Advanced -> Storage Configuration screen, each SATA port shows the drive connected to it. If you click on the drive, you'll see an option for SATA Device Type. Did you set those to either SSD or Hard Drive for each drive (only available on the Intel ports.)
Yep I did set them for all drives!

The POST codes you see, Ax, such as A2 are SATA disk drive related problems.

Your board has three SATA chipsets, the main Intel with six SATA III ports, the six lower ports in the "stack" of ports as the board would be seen mounted in a standard case.

It also has two ASMedia SATA chips, each controlling two ports, which are the four ports at the top of the stack of SATA ports. In general, the Intel SATA ports are much more stable, dependable, and faster with SSDs. That is easily demonstrated with benchmark tests.
Yeah I`m not using ASMEDIA, I was using it before and thought that was the reason...all my drives are on intel ports!

Personally, I only use the Intel SATA ports, and only use the ASMedia SATA ports temporarily. I would suggest only using the Intel SATA ports for a test.

Starting with the previous Intel chipset release, the 8 series such as the Z87, the SATA release protocol was updated (for example, from 3.1 to 3.2) and that change left some older drives behind. Their hardware and/or firmware does not meet the new standards. Even SSDs like the OCZ Vertex 2, or any SSD with a SandForce 1200 series controller, will not work correctly with the newest Intel chipsets. Depending upon how old your HDDs are, they may be affected by that too.
They are kinda old indeed ;( But my 2tb storage 5400 rpm is pretty older and it works fine!

When any drive is initially connected to the board, I find it is recognized fine in the BIOS, but many times will not be seen in Windows. That happens with new model SSDs, but I am not referring to the situation where a new out of the box drive must be initialized in Windows Disk Management before it is recognized. These are drives that are formatted and contain data. It will take one or two restarts before the drive is recognized. But once it is, I can shutdown the PC, turn of the PSU, and when started again, the drives are all there. Physically removing them can cause them to not be seen later on.

Have you ever checked the BIOS to see if the drives are recognized, when they are not in your OS?
All drives work fine in windows! The problem is that sometimes my PC won't boot at all because of the A2 error (ASROCK boot screen loads but I can't press f11, del or anything, gotta reset) and it *seems* my drive mentioned above is the culprit. Few times when I got this problem I simply removed the SATA cable from this one drive and it booted fine.
If I insist enough (2-5 resets) it simply works...I use the content on this drive all the time, it works fine, records, plays, games work, etc etc.

It's all really strange to me, I've never experienced something like this with a good drive. Did CHKDSK on all drivers and everything is fine as well...not sure if there's something like a memtest for HDDs...but the disk works 100% fine, except when it prevents boot and locks up the boot screen.

Hello and thanks for the reply! I've answered everything on the quote in red!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 1:39pm
You sure did, that red jumps out of my monitor like a 3D affect for some reason... literally floating above the monitor surface a bit!

Regarding checking that drive, have you ever seen what is called SMART data for HDDs and SSDs? There are many programs that read and display SMART data.

If you have the ASRock A-Tuning utility installed for your board, you could run the Disk Health report under Tools. Or if you have the ASRock APP Shop program installed, you can download the stand alone Disk Health Report program. Neither will work with RAID arrays, so if you have any, those disks won't appear.

The problem with SMART data is interpreting it. You should check WDC's website for any diagnostic tools for their drives. Another thing while you are there, any firmware updates for that drive?

HDD age is not automatically a good or bad indicator, right? I've had new HDDs shipped to me that were DOA (never again will I buy a HDD from Newegg, they cannot ship them correctly.)
Darkz0r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 7:11am
Lol, no more red! Sorry. :P

Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful, I just moved so it`s been a while but I'll try checking the SMART data and report back!
Darkz0r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 11:43pm
Well I've given up on troubleshooting...I'm mostly getting A2 and A0 errors on boot randomly, so it's easier to reset and try again. Normally it boots on the 2nd attempt while today I had to reset 5 times.

All the HDDs are fine, work fine on another MB, SMART data is fine. I guess I just got faulty SATA ports but it's not worth waiting for an RMA.

Will try the new 2.4 BIOS but I doubt it will change anything since I'm using 2.3.

Sad to see my first ASROCK MB fail but what can we do...The only thing that might explain this but it's very far fetched its a pin on the CPU that was not perfect and I've re-aligned it with a pencil.
But I get no BSODS, overclocks fine, everything works fine in Windows for hours so I doubt the pin has anything to do with it. 

Thanks for all the help though!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 2:51pm
If it was always the same drive or drives failing, then I would want to know what models they were. Don't dismiss the older drive incompatibility with new chipsets, it can be real.
Darkz0r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 5:21am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

If it was always the same drive or drives failing, then I would want to know what models they were. Don't dismiss the older drive incompatibility with new chipsets, it can be real.

Yeah I guess it could be that...Now I just keep resetting until it works. Not the best of worlds but hey, at least it works even though sometimes takes 3 resets. -_-

Edited by Darkz0r - 10 Sep 2015 at 5:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic