ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ram Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoryD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ram Issues
    Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 11:52pm
I have an ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 

I have had this motherboard for about 6 months with 2x4Gb Ram sticks in slots 1&3 working just fine.

I wanted to upgrade my computer by adding 2 more 4Gb Ram sticks into slots 2&4 however when I boot up my computer, my monitors don't even respond.

I've checked that the Ram works by replacing the original Ram that I have had for a while with the new Ram and my computer boots just fine. I've also tried booting up my computer with Ram in slots 2&4 and that also works just fine.

I'm not too sure how to fix this issue so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RoryD - 26 Dec 2017 at 11:53pm
Thanks for reading
Jm62383 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jm62383 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 2:38am
Try lowering your ram to the lowest speed in the bios before installing the extra 2 sticks and then working your way up to the max speed. 4 sticks wont be stable at the same speed as 2 sticks.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 3:25am
Can you please post all your hardware specs, i.e. CPU model, GPU, PSU, UEFI version, etc.

Post all details you know about the RAM you're trying to get working, e.g. timings, exact model, etc.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
RoryD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoryD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 6:54am
How would I do that exactly?
Thanks for reading
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 1:56am
Originally posted by RoryD RoryD wrote:

How would I do that exactly?

well write it in these boxes .............

the issue is more than likey as hinted above

and that being the ram needs different settings when using 4 sticks

BUT we cant help without knowing more info

primary things like what cpu your using,and what ram make and type
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
RoryD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoryD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

Originally posted by RoryD RoryD wrote:

[URL=][/URL]How would I do that exactly?

well write it in these boxes .............

the issue is more than likey as hinted above

and that being the ram needs different settings when using 4 sticks

BUT we cant help without knowing more info

primary things like what cpu your using,and what ram make and type

Sorry about that.
CPU- FX-6300
Ram- HyperX Fury 1866Mhz
GPU- GeForce 960Ti
Thanks for reading
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 11:39pm
Buying 'the same' RAM twice, i.e. 2 times 4GB doesn't mean all 4 sticks are the same. Very often the same model and brand uses totally different dies for what would otherwise appear 'same' RAM.

Both RAMs should work OK when only one of them is installed. Running them both at the same time and speed is a tough luck.

Start with updating your BIOS and clearing the CMOS after all RAM sticks are inserted. Then try lowering the CAS for starters, bump the voltages a bit.

Problem is that I have no clue what voltage and OC option your mobo has. Maybe you'll need a bump in the NB voltage too, maybe some others. Depends.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 12:11am
we had a very very similar problem within the last few weeks

which i recall vaugely

end result was the fx wont run 4 sticks at 1866 i think
im sure i found an amd tech sheet stating 1600mhz max with 4 rams

i think the guy the other day was even forced to use 1333 to get it stable

(and to get it to boot had to use 2 sticks ,set ram speed and then install the other 2 sticks)

this is from memory ,best idea is to search the threads from the last few weeks
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 3:40am
The maximum supported stock speeds for RAM with an FX processor are:

Available slots / Used slots / Single rank / Dual rank / Mixed single and dual rank / Clock speed

2 / 2 / x / x / x / 1866 MHz
4 / 2 / x / x / x / 1600 MHz
4 / 4 / x / - / - / 1600 MHz
4 / 4 / - / x / x / 1333 MHz

Overclocking may be possible even with four memory modules, but as zlobster already stated, there's no guarantee that two different kits of RAM work together at all, even if it's the same exact model. I'd suggest you follow the method datonyb recalled: Use two of the modules so that you are able to boot into BIOS and set the speed to 1333 MHz. Then add the two other modules and see if the system boots. If it doesn't, you probably need to start increasing CPU-NB and RAM voltages. Maybe 1.25V for the CPU-NB to start with. If it doesn't work, then possibly 1.3V before increasing RAM voltage to 1.6V. You can probably find some tips in the AMD FX performance tuning guide (https://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf), even though that's aimed at overclocking.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic