ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme7+ Raid 0 support?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme7+ Raid 0 support?
    Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 8:53pm
Hello, 
any idea whether Z170 Extreme7 + supports RAID 0 3 Ultra M.2 Sockets? I would like to put three Samsung SM951 drives of this motherboard in a RAID 0 for stellar speed :)  Thank you in advance for the help!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:37pm
I know ASRock demoed the Z170 Extreme 7 with 3 Intel 750s (using U.2 kits) in RAID 0 but what drives are exactly compatible in RAID 0 I couldn't say. The SM951 has been pretty particular when it comes to compatibility but it may be doable. ASRock_TSD may have to take this one though unless we have a forum member who has tried this and can attest to its feasibility. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 12:05am
As Xaltar said, it is a bit early to know how well multiple PCIe M.2 SSDs will work in RAID 0 on this board.

Skylake processors are only now becoming available in the USA, and I am waiting for stock of the ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ to become available at more stores. So very few if any users in the "wild" have done something like that yet.

A big part of this is the RAID support that Intel provides for PCIe M.2 SSDs, or PCIe SSDs using the U.2 interface. The Z170 chipset and the latest IRST drivers will make or break this capability.

Another factor is the type of PCIe M.2 SSD, whether AHCI or NVMe. We are also not sure yet if such a RAID array will be bootable, again depending on support from Intel.

Which type of SM951 were you planning on using?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic