ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z370 Taichi (8th gen) SLI not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zenome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z370 Taichi (8th gen) SLI not working
    Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 9:41am
Hi,

I just received my second 1080 ti.
I connected them to PCI slots 2 and 4 with the ASRock supplied SLI connector.
Slot 2 is working slot 4 is not.
Both cards have the power LED lit so it is not a matter of PSU.
I switched slot positions, and slot 2 was working, slot 4 was not, so it isn't a matter of the card.
I tried w/out the SLI connector, same result.
Finally, single card configuration works in both slot 2 and slot 4.

Please help ASAP.  I have a short time before I can RMA as I am traveling and all the hardware needs to come with me.  I doubt it's a MB hardware issue, since both slots seem to work, just not together;but who knows.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Zenome - 28 Dec 2017 at 9:59am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Zenome Zenome wrote:

Hi,

I just received my second 1080 ti.
I connected them to PCI slots 2 and 4 with the ASRock supplied SLI connector.
Slot 2 is working slot 4 is not.
Both cards have the power LED lit so it is not a matter of PSU.
I switched slot positions, and slot 2 was working, slot 4 was not, so it isn't a matter of the card.
I tried w/out the SLI connector, same result.
Finally, single card configuration works in both slot 2 and slot 4.

Please help ASAP.  I have a short time before I can RMA as I am traveling and all the hardware needs to come with me.  I doubt it's a MB hardware issue, since both slots seem to work, just not together;but who knows.

Thanks in advance!

You did not explain how the card in the PCIE4 slot, while connected is SLI, is not working, or how you know it is not working. Or what you mean by a slot not working while connected in SLI.

Do you have any other card/device in any of the PCIe slots besides the video cards?

In the UEFI/BIOS, in the Tools screen, using the System Browser feature, are both cards recognized in the PCIe slots?

In Windows, Device Manager, do both cards appear in Display adapters when both are in the PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots?

Both 1080ti cards are the same manufacture and model?

Have you enabled and configured SLI in the NVIDIA Control Panel software? Are both cards detected in NVIDIA Control Panel?

Which NVIDIA driver version did you install?

What version of Windows are you using?

What version of Windows are you using? Windows 10 by default will install/update the video card driver whenever it detects a new/different version is available. That has caused a lot of trouble for me personally. New driver installations will reset configurations like SLI, so worth checking.

Apparently you don't have another SLI bridge to use?

The power LED on a card illuminating does not mean it has adequate power. What is the full model name/number of your PSU?

Did you try clearing the UEFI/BIOS after installing both cards in the board?

While we have very little detail to go by, you seem hardly at the point where an RMA of the video cards or boards will do you any good.

Zenome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zenome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 12:19pm
You did not explain how the card in the PCIE4 slot, while connected is SLI, is not working, or how you know it is not working. Or what you mean by a slot not working while connected in SLI.
> I will try to give a fuller picture by answering each question you posted - for which, thanks! In short, I am basing my assumption on the LED that is closest to the PSU connection on the card being lit, but the rest of the LEDs on the card not being lit. But ultimately, the card is not being detected when loading into windows, nor will any image appear on the monitor if I connect it to the PCIE4 card (unless I use a single card configuration in PCIE4 slot). Now for the details in the questions below.

Do you have any other card/device in any of the PCIe slots besides the video cards?
> No.

In the UEFI/BIOS, in the Tools screen, using the System Browser feature, are both cards recognized in the PCIe slots?
> I do not see a system browser feature under tools, which I tried looking for before. I see:
 * RGB LED
 * UEFI Tech Service (this brings up an e-mail form)
 * Easy RAID Installer
 * Boot Manager
 * UEFI Update Utility (with sub-menu items)
I did find some information under Advanced\Chipset Config
Primary Graphics Adapter I set to PCIe, Top of Lower Usable DRAM set to Dynamic, >4G decoding set to Disables, VT-d set to Enables, PCIEx Link Speed all set to Auto, all ASPM setting set to Disabled, and IGPU set to Disabled.

In Windows, Device Manager, do both cards appear in Display adapters when both are in the PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots?
> No. Only 1 Card appears.

Both 1080ti cards are the same manufacture and model?
> Yes, exactly the same. 11G-P4-6696-KR

Have you enabled and configured SLI in the NVIDIA Control Panel software? Are both cards detected in NVIDIA Control Panel?
> Only 1 Card is detected in the control panel.

Which NVIDIA driver version did you install?
> 388.71, which I believe is the latest.

What version of Windows are you using?
> Windows 10 Pro with latest update.

What version of Windows are you using? Windows 10 by default will install/update the video card driver whenever it detects a new/different version is available. That has caused a lot of trouble for me personally. New driver installations will reset configurations like SLI, so worth checking.
> Given my above responses, I don't think Windows detects the second card to begin with (although I am unsure if it is the MB or just Windows).

Apparently you don't have another SLI bridge to use?
> I do not. I also tried the cards without a physical SLI bridge connecting them, and same result. I would rather exhaust the other possibilities before ordering new hardware.

The power LED on a card illuminating does not mean it has adequate power. What is the full model name/number of your PSU?
> It is the EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum: 220-P2-1000-XR.

> No. I wasn't sure if I should but I will try.

While we have very little detail to go by, you seem hardly at the point where an RMA of the video cards or boards will do you any good.
> Indeed. I was hoping to receive a list of questions like this to better grasp at the problem.

Edited by Zenome - 28 Dec 2017 at 12:44pm
Zenome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zenome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Zenome Zenome wrote:

> No. I wasn't sure if I should but I will try.

Clearing the UEFI/BIOS did not work.
I disconnected the PSU, held down the power button for a couple of seconds, cleared cmos, and removed the battery for about 30 minutes.

Same as before, no light from or any detection of the PCIe 4 card.
Whether it is b/c of Windows or the MB I cannot tell.

** UPDATE: I also updated BIOS to 11.8.50.3425 from the Taichi Page, which explains that it "enhances graphics card compatibility", but no luck.

Edited by Zenome - 28 Dec 2017 at 9:27pm
Zenome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zenome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 9:50pm
Alright, so I reinstalled the driver through the NVDIA GeForce Experience tool this time (as opposed to the install file).  Although the tool said that I had the latest drivers, once I fired up the installer, the installation screen said I had an earlier version - VERY WEIRD!

Long story short, reinstalling the drivers fixed my problem and now everything works!
Again, many thanks! Just the questions you posted got me thinking about all the places to look for solutions, of which one of them worked!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic