ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Taichi 399 issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote des1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Taichi 399 issue
    Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:31am
    New board. Installed cpu,memory and old video card to test board before install. Booted into Bios screen and I shut it down. Board good to go. Installed, and connected power to power supply. Tried to power on and all I get is RGB lights pulsing in a slow blue color. Removed every thing, removed CMOS battery. Reseated cpu, memory and video card. Same problem. Power supply is Corsair AX1500 and all correct cables are connected to board. Any ideas?
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 6:05am
OK, just to clarify I'm not familiar with this board. All this seems a bit confusing to me nonetheless.

Can you please explain a bit more what exactly did you do? Focus on the first part where you were testing the board in advance. What do you mean before install? Do you mean install in the case/chassis?

Did you use the same components before and after the installation in the case?

Many things come to mind but we need all the details we can get. In the meantime, do the simplest thing - remove absolutely everything; re-assemble it all again but NOT in the chassis, leave it on a table or something; try powering it up again. What happens?
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
des1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote des1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 6:12am
I always test a board b4 install in chassis. Install cpu,ram and old video card. If it posts to BIOS screen, I assume it is OK. Same components used after install in chassis. Only thing added was a working SSD.
JayB33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayB33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 8:34am
Does the x399 Taichi have the 12v CPU power connector on the top left that needs to be rotated 90 degrees compared with the others?

Edit: Yes it does:

Edited by JayB33 - 29 Dec 2017 at 9:10am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 9:10am
des1957, please post all your specifications in your signature as I have.  Did you have a CPU cooler installed on the processor?  Do you have a Debug or beep code to report?  Can you boot into BIOS.  JayB33 has a good question.  Make sure the 4-pin power cable to the CPU is not rotated 90 degrees.  Make sure the CPU power connectors are marked CPU and the video power is marked PCIe.  Try removing everything and see if the behavior changes.  Do you have another video card to try?  Go down to one stick of memory and try.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
des1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote des1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 10:22am
No beeps, no Debug light at all. All I get is a pulsing blue light under heatsink. Removed ram, video card and reseated cpu. No cooler installed yet. I need  to get to BIOS, then I will shut down and reinstall 1 item at a time. Correct power cables in use. Checked twice.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 7:40pm
Running CPU without a cooler is one of the most stooping things one can do.

That monster Threadripper of yours should thermally trip way before it train its RAM, let alone perform a clear POST. I think that's what you're experiencing.

Another thing - if it's POST-ing outside the case but not inside, then maybe the mobo is shorting out somewhere? Or you're overtightening some mounting screw?

1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic