ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 GAMING K4 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 GAMING K4 question
    Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 5:16am
My motherboard has a HDMI port so I'm assuming it has built in graphics if I want to use a graphics card will I need to disable on board graphics in the bios to get things to run smoothly.
Thanks
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 5:27am
On previous generations of APU boards (at least ones from ASUS) like A88X, I am running both the iGPU & dGPU side-by-side just fine.

Once you install your OS and drivers BOTH of your GPUs can work in tandem, e.g. in OpenCL, DX12 explicit multi-adapter, etc.

In UEFI you should have options to disable the iGPU (only in some AM4 APUs) and an option to choose which GPU to be probed first at boot time.

You should be fine either way. If your CPU is actually an APU, i.e. it has an integrated GPU, leave this option ON and make sure the mobo probs the PCIe GPU first.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 5:54am
Just to clarify, Ryzen CPUs do not have integrated graphics. Only AMD A-Series APUs have integrated graphics. In other words, the onboard ports are only active when an APU is installed. 
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 5:57am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Just to clarify, Ryzen CPUs do not have integrated graphics. Only AMD A-Series APUs have integrated graphics. In other words, the onboard ports are only active when an APU is installed. 

I assumed this info was irrelevant in his scenario but thanks for it anyway. I still can't believe how many people these days don't know this simple fact.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Stu18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:07am
Originally posted by zlobster zlobster wrote:

On previous generations of APU boards (at least ones from ASUS) like A88X, I am running both the iGPU & dGPU side-by-side just fine.

Once you install your OS and drivers BOTH of your GPUs can work in tandem, e.g. in OpenCL, DX12 explicit multi-adapter, etc.

In UEFI you should have options to disable the iGPU (only in some AM4 APUs) and an option to choose which GPU to be probed first at boot time.

You should be fine either way. If your CPU is actually an APU, i.e. it has an integrated GPU, leave this option ON and make sure the mobo probs the PCIe GPU first.
Stu18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
TThanks for your comprehensive reply
I haven't built a full pc in 8 years so I'm a bit behind in the latest updates in technology but I am learning fast
Stu18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 7:30pm
Just to let you all know by carefully selecting components which were compatible with my Motherboard my Build went ahead really well the UEFI already clocked my DDR4 to the correct speed and windows booted from a flash drive in one of the USB 3 ports on the back straight away with out me needing to change settings in UEFI and I had full mouse and keyboard access through the whole process, Windows 10 was fully loaded in around 10 mins
it was inferred in another post I made that the Gaming K4 was not the best choice for a mother board and that people had had issues, well I can confirm every thing went really well and I am now in possession of an awesome gaming and |video editing PC

Edited by Stu18 - 04 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 7:39pm
Happy endings are the best endings!

It shows once again how important are preparation and initial research.

Beer
Stu18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 8:11pm
Thanks Zlobster

its been a number of years since I built a PC from scratch so I have to say that I wanted to makes sure I did my research to avoid any unnecessary issues which would cause me stress especially during the instillation of windowsand also very important to build methodically and double check all the components are seated pproperly and it all paid off

thanks for your assistance
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic