ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BeeBox for in car?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hgmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BeeBox for in car?
    Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 10:50pm
I want to have a PC for in car use, mostly for kids entertainment purposes on long trips. I see the BeeBox has a 12V input. Would the cars 12V suffice? Would the BeeBox work well in this purpose, regarding the power input? Suggestions?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 12:02am
If you do use it in the car I would recommend that you purchase a proper 12v laptop car power adapter to be sure you get all the current and voltage correction. Car batteries do not provide constant voltage, especially when the alternator is in play, voltage can spike and dip which can cause damage. Other than that I see no reason why you couldn't use it in a car. If memory serves there are a wide range of laptop power adapters for car use, pick one that has a good rating and is within spec for the Beebox. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 1:33am
While I agree with Xaltar, that the power source/supply to a PC in a car is important, IMO it won't be to much of a problem.

Consider the fancy audio systems in cars, or the custom designed and installed audio systems that can blow the trunk lid off a vehicle (or vibrate it annoyingly!) With large woofers and sub-woofers, the power draw of the amplifiers is easily equal or beyond one AC power outlet in a home. Yes these enthusiasts will use high-amperage alternators in the vehicle, and have huge (One Farad!!) capacitors in the power supply circuit for the amplifiers, but similar and much smaller modifications can be done if necessary for Beebox type PCs.

Don't forget that modern vehicles have computers in them now. While built for a different environment and purpose, if they are able to function perfectly with the power provided by an alternator and battery, other PCs should be able to work fine too IMO.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 3:15am
Parsec is correct, modern cars provide much more stable power than they once did, I have found however that using the direct 12v from the car's cigarette lighter (for example) can shorten the lifespan of your alternator and can cause voltage drops and peaks when the unit begins to fail. Ultimately its up to you, much the same way some people prefer to use a UPS while other don't see the need. If you want some redundancy and protection for both your car and the PC then get an adapter, if you are not bothered by a slightly shortened lifespan, possibly on both, then there is no need Big smile

Either way, the Beebox is perfect for what you want to do with it, especially with the number of displays it supports on such a small system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic