ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intel x99 memory and cpu inquiry...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinPolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intel x99 memory and cpu inquiry...
    Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 5:22am
I've been picking up parts over time for a photo and video editing rig. What I have so far and what I plan:

Case: Corsair 550D
MB: ASRock x99x Killer
PSU: Enermax 800w
CPU: Intel Core i7-6950x (want to OC @ 4GHz with Corsair H100i)
COOL: Corsair H100i WC unit
RAM: *Plan* on 64GB *G.Skill F4-4000C18D-16GTZ* (want to OC @ 4GHz if possible)
GPU: *Debating* on GeForce GTX 1080 / 1080 Ti / Titan / Quadro
PCIe: *Plan* on BlackMagicDesign DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G Capture & Playback Card
PCIe: Asus Thunderbolt EX 3
PCIe: Firewire 800 
SDD1: Samsung EVO 850 3D 500GB (boot)
SSD2: Samsung EVO 850 3D 1TB (programs)
SSD3: Samsung EVO 850 3D 250GB (pagefiling)
SSD4: Inland Pro 480GB (image restore drive)
HDD: 2x 6TB Toshiba x300 for RAID-0
ODD1: LG DVDRW
ODD2: LG Blu-Ray XL-RW

My question for everyone and anyone out there is whether or not if anyone has been successful in getting RAM working and stable @ 4GHz??? If so, which memory did you use? I'm considering G.Skill TridentZ 4GHz modules. I had tried reaching out to AsRock tech support, and they can only guarantee what they personally tested on the MB. Personally, I'd like to match my CPU overclock with my RAM overclock (little bit of my OCD playing with my ambition).

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy 2018...

Edited by LatinPolarBear - 11 Mar 2018 at 12:13pm
Always add a little **RAGE** to it...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 4:31pm
On X99? Quad channel RAM? I am going to go out on a limb here and say not a snowballs hope in hell. It may be "possible" to get 4 or more modules to 4ghz but I highly doubt it will be stable and reliable. 

Even getting dual channel (2 module) kits to 4ghz and beyond is hard in the best of circumstances. The X99X Killer is not a high end X99 board, if you want to even try to get 4ghz on the RAM you should be looking at the X99 OC formula. Even on that there is no guarantee you will succeed but if any board can do it, it's the OC Formula. 
Newer boards like the X299 series will probably start seeing 3800 and beyond speeds achieved more readily moving forward. Most 4000+ kits are still just ridiculously high binned RAM (hence the cost) running at near dangerous voltages and loose timings. My 3600 kit for example can only manage ~3800 at it's rated voltage and it is a reasonably high binned kit. Joining the 4000+ RAM club is not easy yet and also not at all worth the cost, not for the amount timings need to be relaxed to achieve it. In most situations a decent 3200, low latency kit will perform almost identically.  

I hope this helps. 
LatinPolarBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinPolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 12:40pm
First off, I appreciate getting a response. 

I do know that there are multiple variations of x99 boards, and though the AsRock x99x Killer may not be the baddest mamma jamma on the block, I was hoping that someone had pushed this motherboard. I could maintain stock frequencies and keep both CPU and RAM at 3GHz, however, if it's remotely possible then I'd like to hear the success overclocking stories. 

I'm going on a business trip and will return in two weeks. When I return, I should have my PNY GTX 1080 delivered. I won't order RAM until I return because of return policies and don't want to get stuck with memory I can't use properly. I welcome anyone and everyone who may be an x99x owner and share how far they pushed their rigs.

I am confident that I will be able to overclock. Question is how far could I go...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinPolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:47am
Wanted to share a little progress report...

Got an old Xeon cpu to flash BIOS given motherboard didn't recognize 6950x. Upgraded to version 3.10 and successfully boots 6950x. Made some modifications to my list on SSD's and some hardware. Getting closer. Last items I plan on buying are RAM modules, plan on G.Skill F4-4000C18D-16GTZ kits...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinPolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 2:51pm
Believe it or not... I'm back and finally booted this bad boy up!!! lol

A lot had been going on in my life, as well as the rest of the post-coronavirus world!!! I finally had time to finish this up with the addition of a TITAN RTX instead of a GeForce card.

Flashed the BIOS from 3.10 to 3.40 and 6950x recognizes. Only hiccup I had was I did get a BSOD when dabbling with the BIOS settings. Was able to repair Win10Pro installation thank God.

Anyway, reaching out to anyone who's got this board or has experience OC'ing it with success.

G
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic