ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFI-CPU Temp vs. Ryzen Master CPU Temp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firebrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UEFI-CPU Temp vs. Ryzen Master CPU Temp
    Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 5:45am
Hey guys,

I'm getting a CONSISTENT reading of 64.5 to 65.5 degrees IDLE, in the UEFI cpu temp reading, using the ASRock motherboard.  But AMD Ryzen Master software says its CONSISTENT at about 28 to 45 degrees IDLE (in Windows obviously).

I've plugged my Enermax Liqtech 280 pump into CPU / Pump Opt, and its fans into CPU Fans 1.

What's the deal?  What's the temperature of my core?

Enermax says, "We believe you may have a faulty unit" -- I'm not sure I believe them.

Is the AMD Ryzen Master software reliable?

Thank you.
ASRock x399 Fatal1ty;
BIOS v.2.00;
AMD 1950x Threadripper;
MSI 1080 Ti Gaming Trio;
EVGA 1600 T2;
Enermax Liqtech 280;
BeQuiet DarkBase Pro 900.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:11am
bios reports tCTRL temperature which is lik +20C on ryzen X
am not exactly sure whys that...it could be some crap from AMD to report more to kick the fans in (X version does autooverclock a bit more and on air dunno how that will do with in silent fan mode)
real temperature is from tDIE
as you are on water. (as me)..u can ignore what bios says and keep fans at 20~30% for tDIE cpu temps
cant get over 40degrees on 4.1GHz on all cores

Edited by kerberos_20 - 03 Jan 2018 at 6:17am
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:17am
The UEFI reading is nothing to worry about. Other ASRock boards do the same thing. I am not sure if this is because the CPU is not actually idle in BIOS or because a temperature offset is used as some kind of a safety measure against poorly installed CPU coolers, but it seems to be intentional. Ryzen Master should show the correct CPU temperature. At least on my system its readings match those of HWMonitor and they also behave as they should. 45 degrees seems high for idle, but I don't really know how hot Threadrippers tend to run.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:32am
As far as I can tell, when in the UEFI/BIOS a CPU is in a no-throttle state.  That means it's at it's maximum normal frequency with all cores awake.

Even though these is no load in the UEFI/BIOS, this will cause a higher temperature because of the voltage being at what is required for this high P-state.

That explains why UEFI/BIOS is a higher temp than at idle in the OS, as the OS will invoke lower P-states and Park Cores, dropping voltage and heat.  When there is work to be done, the OS will tell the CPU and so things wake up, request more volts and pull more current under various load situations.

It's also true that there is a +20°C temperature offset on the -X Ryzen CPUs.  This is something to do with TDP and some other stuff I can't remember.  It's not just AMD, this 'trick' was on the Intel Core2Duo and numerous other CPU's.  You simply need to factor in this offset when configuring fan curves or reading temperatures.

ASRock also read the T-socket temperature by default I think.  This is the temperature of a sensor in the CPU socket (?) and it takes longer to heat up and cool down than the actual CPU die or heat spreader.  It's one way to make fans ramp up/down a lot less, but it's also a way to let the CPU get a lot hotter before doing something about it.
Newer UEFI/BIOS versions typically allow for selecting a different source for temperature display in the HW Monitor UEFI/BIOS tab.

If you want to measure temperatures in Windows use HWinfo, as it displays Tctrl (value reported from on-chip sensor), Tdie (Tctrl adjusted -20°C, thus actual die temperature) and the temp from the motherboard Nuvoton sensor, or Tsocket as we've come to call it.
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic