ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SM951 Bad Block storahci.sys bluescreen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbomcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SM951 Bad Block storahci.sys bluescreen
    Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:25am
Hi there
I recently bought asrock extreme 4 mother \board with 64 crucial ram on motherboard hcl and everything
I have 2 ssd's that I used for boot and extra stuff and I have the SM951 512gb for testing/work.
I am not booting from the sm951.
installed windows 10 ent edition on this system was fast and quick and updated all the drivers and bios to the latest versions
verified speeds of all drives as expected blazing fast speeds on all of them including the sm951.
after a few days of using sm951 I started seing bluescreens on storahci.sys driver
further investigation I saw error events for the sm951 saying bad block.... on the hard disk and intel drive restarting.
also seem the drive disappears(I notice that in VMware,cant find the drive where the v.machine is at when click 'ok' blue screen)so almost certain its might be defective sm951.
sent it to rma and supposed to get new one in few days.
my question is:
are there certain bios feature/options that I should enable/disable for this drive in motherboard?
I heard people saying to put it as 'legacy' or as 'uefi' disk?
not sure what that means for me it was recognized from the beginning just fine.
Thanks

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 1:58pm
It should be set to UEFI. Legacy is only for when you are having problems (troubleshooting) and it will severely hamper the drive's performance. 

Good luck with the replacement.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 4:06pm
The UEFI or legacy is only important if you are booting an OS from an SM951. They will be recognized fine in current boards as you said, but in order to boot an OS, they must use the UEFI SATA Option ROM.

That is selected in the CSM option, Storage Option ROM setting, set to UEFI only.

I never tried a benchmark on my SM951 in legacy mode, I should do that.
turbomcp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbomcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 12:02am
Thanks
what do you mean by set to uefi
I'll have the replacement tomorrow but from what I remember I just sticked that in and it was recognize fine and speed was excellent also.
so no manual configuration needed right?
Thanks
turbomcp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbomcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 12:05am
Thanks
that's what I thought, so the csm is only for booting options to help you boot as 'elgacy' which I am doing BUT I am not using the drive as boot drive so for me it doesn't really matter:)
btw, performance was excellent in my tests as expected.
so we'll see tomorrow when I get replacement if this thing happens again.
now atleast I know what to monitor(events for bad blocks)
on mine I also disabled power management(since this system works 24/7)
and added extra good fan just for this little thing to make sure its always cool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic