ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350M Pro4 freezing/rebooting.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osminymus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350M Pro4 freezing/rebooting.
    Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 12:10am
As title says, I got problem of freezing and rebooting, I build new 2 weeks ago specs:
Ryzen 3 1200 no OC
HyperX 3000Mhz running at 2400Mhz (It run at 2934Mhz but I returned every to default when freezeing started)
WDB 1TB
EVGA 500W 80+
Had R7 260X 1GB, today got 1060 3GB.

So pc can freezes anytime, it does not matter if I game or just browse the internet etc..
When it freezes sometimes it stays like that and sometimes it follows up with an reboot within 5 seconds. I am not 100% sure that the mobo is the culprit.
Every component is bought new. PSU is not the problem here I am sure of it. Neither is GPU.
Ram is also not the problem since b4 is started freezing so much I did test my RAM with few programs, I even run memtest86 on a stick and run it some hours and no errors.
I doubt its HDD I run the disk scan in CMD and all was ok.

Now it comes dows to CPU or MOBO. That is what I am not sure which one is the problem.

I disabled CoolnQuiet, also C6 and even the C-states but the problem persists.

Today when my PC froze I rebooted into BIOS and after a minute it froze even in BIOS and I needed to hard restart (holding power button few secs)

I need some help from you folks, should I sent a ticket to support ?
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 12:26am
Sending a ticket to tech support is always a MUST! Not because they'll fix your issue, but because they can see a trend in a specific issue, if such arise. Seeing many users with the same problem will likely speed up the troubleshooting.

Now, you didn't tell us what UEFI version you're using. You dismissed the PSU & GPU too soon.

First, clear your CMOS and see what happens when you're running at default settings. Check Windoze log for corresponding events.

Also, you could try DOS-reflash & subsequent Instant flash to higher version. Always reboot and clear CMOS in between.

1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Osminymus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osminymus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 12:36am
I did send it afterwards. Stock bios on the board was 3.0 and I flashed it to latest 3.30 (it was 2 weeks ago).
Well if it was PSU problem PC would not continue running when the freeze happens (without a reboot). And if the GPU was the problem then both my GPU are faulty also if the gpu was the problem then I would see artifacts or instant reboot, freeze with the image dissapearing following seconds (I had an faulty gpu before so I know what issues it can cause).
I did check all the cables for power on mobo/cpu/gpu even reseated it.
How do I clear CMOS, can it be done from UEFI or do I need to remove battery and wait 5 minutes or so ? Windows event viewer only shows that windows shut down unexpectedly.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 3:04am
Bad PSU is really bad for electronic components. Electronic components require stable voltage to operate.

OS, mobo, RAM, GPU and CPU mechanism rely on 0's and 1's to operate properly. Their internal mechanisms can't correct bad voltages and can misbehave under such conditions.

Clearing CMOS is really easy. Most folks will tell you different ways to do it, but trust only 1 - shut down your PC, disconnect PSU from power grid, remove CMOS battery. Short out the negative and positive BATTERY HOLDER pins (not the battery itself, pls) for 5-10 seconds. Use a screwdriver or other metallic object. This way you ENSURE all capacitors in CMOS circuit are discharged, i.e. CMOS is clear as new. Removing CMOS battery doesn't guarantee capacitors will discharge for 5 or 10 minutes.

Did you check Win logs/events for some hints what might be the culprit?

1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Osminymus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osminymus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 3:17am
Okay i did clear CMOS, what does that do, I noticed that the settings in bios went to default. I also changed ram to b2 was in a2. Win logs usual crap with windows not shutting down correctly or unexpectedly
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 3:26am
Clearing CMOS does exactly what you have seen. CMOS is a volatile memory that is storing UEFI/BIOS configuration, e.g. CPU multiplier, memory settings, SB settings, etc.

When you clear it properly you're ensuring there are no corrupt settings or leftover cr@p in the low-level config.

Now that this is out of the way, please try and run your PC with these settings, i.e. the default ones after you cleared CMOS.

Win logs/events require more attention than one usually pays to them. Check errors and warnings in Event Viewer. There has to be something there. For example, I currently have no issues with my Ryzen build but I see many errors and warnings there. One of them being one of my external HDD is failing. I'm leaving aside the fact its S.M.A.R.T. is OK and NTFS diskchk is also OK...

If you wish, you could also try a Live Linux USB and see if it runs fine for an hour or two. No installations whatsoever.
Osminymus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osminymus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 3:43am
Okay, but clearing it didn't help :/ It restarted a moment ago. I will search in event viewer, what would linux usb can do, I mean can I diagnose smt from it
alinadem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinadem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 4:50am
is your system still crashing? any update? I also have freezing with the asrock ab350m pro4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic