ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meltdown/Spectre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meltdown/Spectre
    Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 6:26pm
Any idea when the Spectre bug will be sorted out on Asrock Ryzen boards via a BIOS/EUFI upgrade? Specifically the B350 models. I have an Asrock B350M Pro4 and the latest BIOS/EUFI (4.5) does not address this yet. Thanks.
Ryzen 1600
Asrock B350M Pro4
16GB DDR4 2133Mhz
RX 480
128GB Samsung M.2 NVME
1TB WD Black 7200RPM
OCZ 650W PSU
Jonsbo C3 Aluminium mATX case
Windows 10 Pro
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 6:29pm
Given how much ASRock care about posting changelogs, how they didn't even issue a statement, I really doubt you'll even understand when you have the patch installed. LOL
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
royedmund View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royedmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 3:52pm
Is ASRock in denial over Spectre Mitigation AMD AM4 Motherboards

A useful Spectre Tools from GRC https://grc.com/inspectre.htm

Asked ASRock about mitigation of Spectre for my ASRock X370 Taichi AMD motherboard with a Ryzen 1700 CPU and this the response I received

18 January 2018 at 04:30 (+11UTC)
The customer needs to software/OS update.
It does not affect the BIOS of the AMD motherboard.
Thank you
ASRock America Support Team

Really no firmware/microcode updates via a BIOS update from AsRock/AMD for the mitigation of Spectre?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:55pm
AMD/intel are the ones who create and distribute microcode updates to board partners. If AMD have not released any to board partners then board partners can't release BIOS level fixes. These core updates are most often proprietary to AMD and intel, even if a board manufacturer wants to create a fix of their own, they can't.

If you want/need more info on what is planned for Spectre you need to contact AMD. If AMD do release any kind of fix/update then ASRock will undoubtedly release the appropriate updates for effected boards.
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:06am
I have added this thread to my watch list.

If ASRock's stance is that Spectre does not require a hardware level fix (BIOS/UEFI microcode), they are flying against what seems to be the wiser voices on the 'net.

Meltdown is a non-issue for Ryzen so it seems.  This has been declared from so many sources that I can feel fairly safe in saying that is true.

Spectre has more than one variant and they behave differently, and therefore require different approaches to protecting against them.
Spectre takes advantage of the branched predicted processing that happens in these complex CPUs.
It is claimed that to defeat Spectre, not only will OS patches be required, and possibly all software need recompiling with a new compiler, but updates to the way the hardware works is also going to be required.  Some voices call for complete hardware redesign, but we have what we have.

I've taken all of the Windows 1703 updates and the InSpectre.exe tool still claims I am at risk of Sepctre.  It maybe semi-patched in 1709 Fall Creators, which I am holding off for a little while longer.

AMD's statement:
http://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution
AMD claim to be providing microcode updates to customers (motherboard manufacturers) shortly.

As yet, I cannot find Sprectre related updates on other motherboard manufacturer's sites either.  I guess it's a wait and see.
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:19am
As I said in my last post, we will have to wait and see what AMD decides to do. Other board partners seem to be equally silent on the issue with AMD platforms for the time being so I can't help but feel my suspicion is correct. I have no insider knowledge on this either so I am just as in the dark as the rest of you. I will keep probing my channels and see what comes up over the next few weeks.
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:02am
@ Xaltar, I think you managed to post whilst I was crafting my own.

Yeah, wait and see what trickles through from AMD to board manufacturers.
In the mean time see what comes for patching the OS in the form of updates.
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic