ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock 990 FX killer with Samsung SM951

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aberdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by net2paul net2paul wrote:

I think the best solution for this fast M.2 cards is to acquire a PCIe x4 M.2 card adapter.
peterpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 2:09am
I'm interested if anyone's managed to do a M2 Win10 install on a Fatal1ty 970 Performance. Particularly as that's the board I'm now considering.

This thread also very helpful in making me realise the M2 socket bandwidth on the Fatal1ty 970 Performance is 20GB/sec bandwidth compared to 10 GB/sec on ASRock 990FX Killer. Is seems very strange for ASRockto half the M2 channels on the 990FX, which I guess is a later board.
I'd been considering he 990FX, but as M2 support is higher on my list than NVIDIA® SLI support the 970 Performance looks a better bet.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by net2paul net2paul wrote:

U need to create a Windows 10 USB installation media with UEFI support (GPT)
Booting directly from USB . Ahci mode in UEFI and only SM951 connected, no other drive. 
Installing a bootable Win10 on it. 

How to create a Windows 10 USB installation media with UEFI support:

I've been using Windows installations on Intel systems for years by installing it from a USB flash drive with UEFI support. I've done that with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. The first board I did that on was an ASRock Z77 Extreme4. .................................

....... The USB Windows 10 installation media I used with my Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1 is the same one I've used to install it on three different Intel systems. I've never had a problem installing Windows this way until I tried it on my AMD board.

You did not mention one thing that is essential for the system to really be UEFI/EFI booting. That is an option in our board's UEFI that must be set a certain way. That option is... Question

With that option set in my Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1 board's UEFI, the target SSD for the Windows installation is never seen by the Windows installer. That is the issue I have.

and earlier:

......................I am curious about how your OS disk appears in Disk Management after the Windows Installation. This is how my EFI booting Windows 10 installation appears in Disk Management, the top entry:

Your Windows 10 installation appearance in Disk Management shows the WIN10INSTAL as FAT32 (I think that's on your Intel board), then that could be your problem as you say your trying the same USB installation on the AMD.
Have you instead tried, as net2paul suggested, making a new USB installation, then installing with the single M2 being the only drive present? His install is showing just the SM951 SSD (C:) yet no install ??

Edited by peterpiper - 09 Nov 2015 at 2:43am
net2paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote net2paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:31am

As you can see, I  use PCie Card Adapter that working great with Samsung SM951 and  Asrock 990FX killer mainboard. I put on  PCiE 2 the card with SM951 and the video card on PCie3 slot. No change on Bios. Windows10 booting without issues !!!!

Here is the PCie card wendor link :

So we can double the SM951 speed on 990FX killer and don't need to downgrade to 970 Performance !
Also you can put a second slower M.2 card on mainboard.

Edited by net2paul - 18 Nov 2015 at 12:44am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 2:01am
net2paul,

Censored Nice, Nice, Nice!!

I'm thrilled with your results for your SM951 on an AMD board! I was worried, for certain reasons, that an SM951 would not work well on an AMD board.

Is the SM951 and adapter card in a PCIe 3.0 slot? It seems to be.

Your benchmark results are very good, with one exception, the 4K results are a bit low. That is just me as an SSD enthusiast judging every last thing, so forgive me for that.

Questions: How did you format the SM951 when you installed Windows? Did you let the Windows installer program format it, or did you do it?

What BIOS settings did you change for the SM951? AHCI or RAID mode? Any changes to CSM?

If you can tell us how you did your Windows 10 installation, that would be useful information for other people!
net2paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote net2paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 2:58am
First of all you don't format or partitioning SM951 !!!!!
Asrock 990FX with the latest bios!

U need to create a Windows 10 USB  (GPT) installations media with UEFI support  (GPT)
Use RUFUS . Tutorial for RUFUS and Download 
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-installation

In UEFI set AHCI and GPT.

Mount SM951, No other drive.

Boot directly from USB  (GPT) with Win10 installer. Let Windows to configure your drive.
In UEFI showing a new drive in BOOT menu something like "Windows Media".  
I'm not enter to UEFI right now but you will recognise it.

Good luck !

Great thanks to Finnipinni !!!!

Your benchmark results are very good, with one exception, the 4K results are a bit low. That is just me as an SSD enthusiast judging every last thing, so forgive me for that.

You post a benchmark results with 2 x SM951 in raid0. If you divide the results you will receive  approximately the same results. But with intel board you use PCie 3 , not PCie 2 like AMD boards.

Asrock 990FX M.2 PCie 2 x 2
With PCie slot nr 2 the Adapter can use PCie 2 x 4

Edited by net2paul - 18 Nov 2015 at 3:27am
aberdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aberdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 1:44am
Clap
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by net2paul<u><b> net2paul wrote:

First of all you don't format or partitioning SM951 !!!!!
Asrock 990FX with the latest bios!

U need to create a Windows 10 USB  (GPT) installations media with UEFI support  (GPT)
Use RUFUS . Tutorial for RUFUS and Download 
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-installation

In UEFI set AHCI and GPT.

Mount SM951, No other drive.

Boot directly from USB  (GPT) with Win10 installer. Let Windows to configure your drive.
In UEFI showing a new drive in BOOT menu something like "Windows Media".  
I'm not enter to UEFI right now but you will recognise it.

Good luck !

Great thanks to Finnipinni !!!!

You post a benchmark results with 2 x SM951 in raid0. If you divide the results you will receive  approximately the same results. But with intel board you use PCie 3 , not PCie 2 like AMD boards.

Asrock 990FX M.2 PCie 2 x 2
With PCie slot nr 2 the Adapter can use PCie 2 x 4

I already posted this result in another post under my RAID 0 results. This is one SM951 on my Z97 board. Here it is again:

The other RAID 0 results show the RAID scaling is poor, either the RAID driver is holding these SSDs back or we've already used up the bandwidth. So dividing by two does not work for the new RAID for PCIe SSDs. It does work for SATA SSDs in general.

net2paul, You are not understanding me, or I'm not understanding you, about formatting the SSD and using a USB flash drive to install Windows.

When I install Windows on my SM951s or 950 Pro (or any SSD that I want to use the EFI bootloader for the Windows installation) using Intel chipset boards, I never format the SSD first. I always let the Windows installer program do that.

When I tried the same technique on my 970 Performance board, it would not work. I've installed Windows like this for years on Intel boards, but the 970 Performance refused to work that way.

Someone in an earlier post said they formatted the SSD as GPT before the Windows installation on an AMD chipset board. That worked for them. That's why I asked you what you did.

You wrote this: "In UEFI set AHCI and GPT." AHCI is obvious, but how are you "setting GPT"?

You also wrote:

"Boot directly from USB  (GPT) with Win10 installer. Let Windows to configure your drive.
In UEFI showing a new drive in BOOT menu something like "Windows Media". "

When you write GPT, I think you mean UEFI. The entry in the boot order will be "Windows Boot Manager".

Never tried it again on my 970 Performance, but I will soon.

net2paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote net2paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 7:19am
Next week I will build a new PC with 970 Performance and SM951.
So I will inform you step by step if I succeed !
net2paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote net2paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 3:49am
So installing Win10 on SM951 AHCI vers. on 970 Performance board is the same as on Killer.
And Booting !

1 No other drive just the SM951
2 Plug USB with GPT (not MasterBootRecord) USB with Win10 install created with Rufus 
3 Go to UEFI Bios
4 Set in UEFI Bios on Storage configuration SATA MODE to AHCI MODE - everything disable, no AMD AHCI Bios . 
4 Set Boot from USB UEFI
5 Boot and install Win10
6 On first restart unplug the USB
7 if Win10 installing go on next level , your are OK.

That's all !!!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 5:35am
Thanks for the info Net2Paul Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic