ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock 990 FX killer with Samsung SM951

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote net2paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock 990 FX killer with Samsung SM951
    Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 1:00am
I wan't to buy a new Samsung SM951 AHCI .
Is my Asrock 990 FX Fatal1ty killer compatible with this SM951 AHCI ? 
How about SM951 NVMe ?
Finnipinni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnipinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 8:27pm
Want simular info net2paul.
Waiting for the postman to deliver a 951nvme the week to come.
Wonder if it BOOTS W10 and how fast it work.
A88M G-3.1 2x4GB XMS SM951NVMe NanoPSU MediaPC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnipinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 10:38pm
Any changes one has to do in the BIOS ?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 2:19am
It will be interesting to see if the SM951 (AHCI or NVME) is compatible with an AMD board. It should be since ASRock has been great for keeping the UEFI/BIOS for their boards updated to work with these SSDs.

We know it works on Intel boards, but I have yet to see an AMD board working with one of these SSDs. NOT that I've seen them not work, but I want to confirm that AMD has provided the appropriate SATA Option ROM that allows them to work.

There are two aspects of compatibility, simply being recognized by the board, and then if it can be used as a boot/OS drive.

There is a SATA Option ROM that is part of the BIOS file that provides full compatibility. The Samsung XP941 SSD is listed in this board's Storage Support List, when using the L1.12A Beta BIOS. That version should allow the SM951 AHCI version to work as well. The standard BIOS version 1.30 and newer should have the support for these SSDs that is included in the L1.12A Beta BIOS.

Regarding BIOS changes, in order to make these SSDs bootable you must enable a sub option of the CSM option, found in the ACPI Configuration screen.

With CSM Disabled, set the Launch Storage Oprom to UEFI Only.

If you have a UEFI booting Windows installation (CSM Disabled), you don't need to change the CSM option.

The SATA mode in Storage Configuration for the AMD SATA ports should be set to AHCI or RAID.

Please let us know how the SM951 works for everyone on this board.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnipinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 9:32pm
Thanks for Your post parsec.
I have not done any changes in my 1.5 BIOS.
My SM951NVMe does not show anywhere i BIOS (anywhere I look....)
I'm not realy into this BIOS....
It is shown in My Computer and in Device Manager.

When SM951 are the only SSD the will BIOS restart when ordering exit.
To get going the, another SSD has to be Attached.

When installing W10 b.10166 from DVD, installer program do not find any Place to load.

I take trying this as an Experiment, but I always take Experiments seriously :)
Hope for help an education
Finn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnipinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 11:23pm

CSM disable : Cant get out of BIOS.

With Storage to UEFI :
ISO installer program build 10166 do not find any place to launch.
But see the disk :
Drive 0 Partition 1 119,2GB Primary

Comp. HW may not support booting......
Ensure that disk is enabled in BIOS.

And I can't find it anywhere in BIOS - Where should it be ??
In Windows it works - it's writable and works.
Hope there is still something to be done ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnipinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 2:57am
Same happens in intaller program With new made ISO build 10240. Do not find the M.2.
And it is - to my ability - not shown in BIOS.
And that is to be the case ??

But the M.2. Works an are shown in my Pc and device manager.

I have some questions for AsRock
An explanation i needed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnipinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 4:51am
No way this will boot !
But it Works.
Here is an AS test :

Read MB/s:      Write MB/s:

Seq           720 -  624

4k               34 -  57

4k-64Thrd 1493 -  324

Acc.Time   59µs -  63µs

Score      1599  -  354

So - it just about beats a SATA SSD.....
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 2:12pm
Finnipinni, let's start over.

First, what board do you have, it seems to the the Fatal1ty 990 FX Killer, is that right?

The goal is to be able to use your NVMe SM951 as a boot/OS drive, and for it to be seen in the BIOS.

I made a mistake in my earlier post, very sorry about that! I meant to write this:

Regarding BIOS changes, in order to make these SSDs bootable you must enable a sub option of the CSM option, found in the ACPI Configuration screen.

With CSM Enabled, set the Launch Storage Oprom to UEFI Only.

I wrote, "With CSM Disabled...", Disabled is wrong. CSM must be Enabled for the other options to be seen.

So to be clear, with CSM Enabled, set the Launch Storage Oprom to UEFI Only.

That is only the beginning, other things in the BIOS must be set correctly. They are:

In Advanced/Storage Configuration screen, SATA Mode must be AHCI or RAID.

In Advanced/Storage Configuration screen, set AMD AHCI BIOS ROM to Enabled. I'm not 100% sure this needs to be Enabled, you can try it both Enabled and Disabled.

In Advanced/Storage Configuration screen, SATA IDE Combined Mode must be Disabled. That is the default in newer BIOS versions.

Question: You have said many times that you cannot find the SM951 shown in the BIOS, right?

Since your board has a M.2 port, there should be an entry for the M.2 port in the Storage Configuration screen, even if nothing is in the M.2 port. That is how it works with my (different) ASRock board. I must scroll down in the Storage Configuration screen to see the M.2 port entry.

The SATA III ports are listed even if no drives are connected to them. The same should be true for the M.2 port.

Are you sure there is no entry for the M.2 port on the Storage Configuration screen?

Next, installing Windows. You may now know you cannot install Windows to a SM951 from a Windows 10 disk, it MUST be done from an ISO on a USB flash drive. If you don't know how to create the USB flash drive ISO installer, let me know.

NOTE: For anyone using a Samsung NVMe SM951: You MUST use Windows 10! Only Windows 10 has a built in NVMe driver, no other versions of Windows do. Intel supplies a driver with their NVMe 750 SSD, but Samsung does not. No, the Intel driver does not work with a SM951.

When you use a USB flash drive with a Windows 10 ISO, do you select it in the Boot Order screen in the BIOS?

Do you see TWO entries for the USB flash drive, one that is "UEFI: Flash Drive", and the other, "AHCI: Flash Drive" in the Boot Order list?

You should see these two entries in the Boot Order list, and you MUST choose UEFI: Flash Drive.

Now we will assume you have booted from a Windows 10 ISO on a USB Flash Drive. The Windows installer is running, and you are on the Standard or Custom install option screen. You MUST choose the Custom Install option.

In the Custom installation screen, you should see the SM951 listed. If not something is wrong, quit the installation.

If the SM951 is listed, great! Next, delete ALL the partitions on it! All the space should be Unallocated.

Then click on New to format the SM951. You'll see a message about extra partitions being created, just click Ok. When that is done, you should see four partitions listed from the format. Select the Primary partition for Windows 10, and continue with the installation. It should go quickly.

It is more difficult to manually format the SM951 with all the REQUIRED partitions that the Windows installer will create automatically. Let Windows do the formatting in this situation.

Let us know if any of this helps you get Windows 10 installed and running on a NVMe SM951. If it does, it will be the first time I've known that to work on an AMD board. Otherwise I'll see what else I can do to help you.

One more thing I noticed about your board. The M.2 port is a PCIe 2.0 x2 10 Gb/s interface. Both of the SM951 SSDs are PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s interface drives. You won't get the full performance from your SM951 unless your board has a PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s M.2 port, sorry to say.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnipinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2015 at 6:19pm
First I want to thank you for your effort and nitidius work !
The main issue seems for me to be that M.2. is not listed.

First, what board do you have, it seems to the the Fatal1ty 990 FX Killer, is that right? - YES

With CSM Enabled, set the Launch Storage Oprom to UEFI Only. - DONE

That is only the beginning, other things in the BIOS must be set correctly. They are:

In Advanced/Storage Configuration screen, SATA Mode must be AHCI or RAID. - AHCI

In Advanced/Storage Configuration screen, set AMD AHCI BIOS ROM to Enabled. I'm not 100% sure this needs to be Enabled, you can try it both Enabled and Disabled. - Tryed both.....

In Advanced/Storage Configuration screen, SATA IDE Combined Mode must be Disabled. That is the default in newer BIOS versions. DONE

Question: You have said many times that you cannot find the SM951 shown in the BIOS, right? - YES

Since your board has a M.2 port, there should be an entry for the M.2 port in the Storage Configuration screen, even if nothing is in the M.2 port. That is how it works with my (different) ASRock board. I must scroll down in the Storage Configuration screen to see the M.2 port entry. - There are no M.2. Only SATA3_1-2-3-4-5 and ESATA1

The SATA III ports are listed even if no drives are connected to them. The same should be true for the M.2 port. - I should expect so also......

Are you sure there is no entry for the M.2 port on the Storage Configuration screen? - YES

Next, installing Windows. You may now know you cannot install Windows to a SM951 from a Windows 10 disk, it MUST be done from an ISO on a USB flash drive. If you don't know how to create the USB flash drive ISO installer, let me know. - I have DVD ISO with build 10240.

When you use a USB flash drive with a Windows 10 ISO, do you select it in the Boot Order screen in the BIOS? - press F11 in POST. I Install with no other SSD Attached than SM951.

Do you see TWO entries for the USB flash drive, one that is "UEFI: Flash Drive", and the other, "AHCI: Flash Drive" in the Boot Order list? - Do not remember - I will tell you next time.

You should see these two entries in the Boot Order list, and you MUST choose UEFI: Flash Drive. - I will.

Now we will assume you have booted from a Windows 10 ISO on a USB Flash Drive. The Windows installer is running, and you are on the Standard or Custom install option screen. You MUST choose the Custom Install option. - Always done that.

In the Custom installation screen, you should see the SM951 listed. If not something is wrong, quit the installation. - It is listed, but windows will not install due to expecting that it is not bootable.

If the SM951 is listed, great! Next, delete ALL the partitions on it! All the space should be Unallocated. - Allways do that.

Then click on New to format the SM951. You'll see a message about extra partitions being created, just click Ok. When that is done, you should see four partitions listed from the format. Select the Primary partition for Windows 10, and continue with the installation. It should go quickly.

It is more difficult to manually format the SM951 with all the REQUIRED partitions that the Windows installer will create automatically. Let Windows do the formatting in this situation. - Always formatt disks.

Let us know if any of this helps you get Windows 10 installed and running on a NVMe SM951. If it does, it will be the first time I've known that to work on an AMD board. Otherwise I'll see what else I can do to help you.

One more thing I noticed about your board. The M.2 port is a PCIe 2.0 x2 10 Gb/s interface. Both of the SM951 SSDs are PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s interface drives. You won't get the full performance from your SM951 unless your board has a PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s M.2 port, sorry to say. - I expected so due to the 10GB/s - but IOPS test show up to SM951 specs. Thar will help :)

?€

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic