ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty Z97 Killer and m.2 NVMe Drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnagelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty Z97 Killer and m.2 NVMe Drive
    Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:51pm
Hi Guys,

I was lucky enough to do an upgrade on a clients pc to the new 8th gen i7 processor.

He gave me his old Fatal1ty Z97 Killer with 32gb ddr 3 ram and  4970k i7 cpu .

I am still in need of a PSU, HDD and case.
which i will purchase over the next 2 months.

I am looking at the Samsung 960 EVO 250gb m.2 NVMe drive.

My mobo supports gen2 so will this work and will it give me faster speeds than a standard SSD sata drive, or will i be wasting money and just rather go for the SSD sata?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 3:45pm
Personally I would go for a larger standard SSD. The performance difference, even with a newer board, is not worth the premium (at least to me). 

If this was an all new system then NVMe would be more tempting but with potential compatibility issues, bottlenecked performance and cost difference the SATA route is probably wiser. I would try and pick up a 512gb or bigger SATA SSD that you can later use as a secondary drive if you upgrade down the line. 

That is a sweet setup though, the Haswell i7 is still a beast and with 32gb of RAM you will be sitting pretty for a good long while with it Thumbs Up
carnagelan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnagelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 2:07pm
Thank you,

I have decided to go with a 512gb ssd drive and a standard 1tb sata drive as a secondary. 
It will take me 2 or 3 months to get everything to run as i have budgets and so forth.

The case i am going to get is the white Deepcool Dukase v2 which i think looks cool. 

GPU will come at a later stage and will probably go with the 1060 
Boroda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boroda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 1:25am
Hi, I have the same configuration i7 32 G DDR3 and looking to install 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe, the SATA SSD for 1TB price is really close. My only question is if I can use my old HDD as backup and M.2 as main drive. Looks like if I use M.2 then SATA will be disabled?
Or you think is better to use 1TB SATA SSD?
Thank you
Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic