ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x99 Extreme 4/3.1 Red Light + No Display

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybywire44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x99 Extreme 4/3.1 Red Light + No Display
    Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 7:28am
Hello everyone.

I need a bit of advice, my Asrock x99 Extreme 4/3.1 has no display and a red light on "BIOS_A" LED that will does not extinguish. 

My build consists of:
1. MOBA: ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
2. CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2630 V3 2.4GHz 8-Core Processor
3. RAM: Crucial 2x8g DDR4 CT8G4DFD8213.C16FAD1
4. PSU: CORSAID AX860i
5. GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX960

So far I have tried reseating the GPU, reseating combinations of RAM, reattaching cables?”I'm at a loss.... Help?!

Does this happen often?

Thanks,
FBW
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 3:09pm
The red LED is simply the BIOS_A identification LED for the dual BIOS system on your board. It is remaining lit because the board failed to POST for some reason.

I happen to use the same video card with my ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 board, and it works fine.

With two 8GB DIMMs, you should use slots A1 and D1. Actually, I can't find that part number on Crucial's website, so not sure what memory you have.

Each time you move the memory to different slots, you should clear the CMOS/BIOS.

Did you connect the eight pin CPU power cable from the PSU to the top center of the board, somewhat hidden behind the blue heat sink with "X99" on it? That is required for the CPU to function.

Which PCIe slot are you using for the 960? Power cable connected to that card?
flybywire44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybywire44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 11:38pm
Problem solved.

The RAM was locked, but not fully seated.

Thank you. 
KenG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 10:55am
I just completed a build and was having the same problem.  Fortunately, I found this discussion.  I moved one RAM module from B1 to D1 and -- TA-DA -- the video appeared.  THANKS!!!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:15pm
Great, glad that worked for you! Thanks for posting your experience. Thumbs Up

Frankly, I must say I get the feeling that the memory that was in slot B1 was possibly not seated correctly.

I say that because normally by the Intel specification, the order of populating the DIMM slots is to use the slots that are the farthest from the CPU first.

You may then think, yes that is what I just did, since the Installation of Memory Modules section in the manual shows the D1 and D2 slots on the opposite far side from the A1 and A2 slots.

That is true, but if you look at the Motherboard Layout section of the manual, the DIMM slots farthest from the CPU are the A1 and C1 slots. The B1-B2 and D2-D1 slots are the closest to the CPU, in that order.

I did not yet open the case of my X99 Extreme6/3.1 board to check the labeling, but the picture of the X99 Extreme4/3.1 board shows the DIMM slots labeled as shown in the Motherboard Layout section.

I'm wondering if you actually have the memory you moved currently in the C1 slot? Are you using just two memory sticks?

If you are confused now, don't worry because I am too. Confused  Just don't move your memory again, since it works fine now!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic