ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Memory question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adobo777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Memory question.
    Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 7:43am
Hello folks, 

I've just bought myself an ASROCK z170 mobo ( ASRock Z170 Extreme4+) along with other PC parts (i5 Skylake) including memory from Mushkin ( Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4-22400) Desktop Memory Model 997207T), the parts arrived today and I haven't 'touched' anything yet. I however recently noticed on the ASROCK website that the RAM doesn't seem to show support for this specific RAM, despite it being in-spec of what type of RAM the Z170 mobo uses. 

Thus, I was wondring whether I should worry and start preparing for an RMA or am I good to go?

Edited by adobo777 - 04 Sep 2015 at 7:45am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 3:01am
The memory support lists for any board are not 100% comprehensive, given the large number of potential models of memory available. If a model is not included in the memory support list, that does not automatically mean it is not compatible.

Mushkin's website does not seem to include a compatibility list of their own, as other manufactures provide.

I would try your memory in your board, being sure to install it correctly, in the A2 and B2 slots. Leave the memory settings in the UEFI/BIOS on Auto settings, and don't activate the XMP profile.

Start the board when you're ready to see if it will POST with your memory. If it doesn't, check the code displayed on the Dr Debug display, and check the manual to see if it is a memory error.

If that memory refuses to work in your board, you should be able to RMA it to the retailer or Mushkin for another model that will work.

adobo777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adobo777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 5:54pm
Follow up:

Memory works, but it wont run at its stated XMP profile any idea?

Also, note that I've installed it on A1 and A2 slots might that affect XMP profiles?

Edited by adobo777 - 15 Sep 2015 at 5:56pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 12:29am
Originally posted by adobo777 adobo777 wrote:

Follow up:

Memory works, but it wont run at its stated XMP profile any idea?

Also, note that I've installed it on A1 and A2 slots might that affect XMP profiles?

If you have the memory in slots A1 and A2, you're in single channel memory mode. Your board has dual channel memory capability for better memory performance.

Again, the optimal slots for two DIMMs is slots A2 and B2.

The XMP profile may be changing the BCLK to 125MHz, from the normal 100MHz. That changes the CPU speed, which becomes 4.875 at your CPU's Turbo speed.

With the XMP profile active, check the BCLK and CPU speed in the OC Tweaker screen.
adobo777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adobo777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 2:08pm
I activated XMP profile BCLK was set at auto, I manually input 100 BCLK and the result was the same (error 55 as stated by the MOBO)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic