ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 taichi new build bios

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetalManiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 taichi new build bios
    Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 11:06pm
Finally got my gpu through today (thanks crypto miners) so can start my build.

X370 taichi
Ryzen 1600
Vengeance lpx 16Gb 3000mhz
960 evo m.2
Gtx 1050ti :(
2Tb HDD

Advice I'm looking for is should I update my bios before I do anything. My motherboard shipped with version 2.20 installed. What is the most stable bios released so far. Iv been reading post saying to avoid 4.40 for now. Can I or should I update bios before installing windows?

Iv read the post about installing windows onto a pcie ssd but are there any nuances to install onto the 960evo. Looking for as smooth an install as possible as I'm bored of looking at my empty case while waiting for my damn GPU.

planning to run RAM at stock speeds on XMP and a mild CPU overclock 3.7/3.8   

Thanks for any advice and tips
Prodif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prodif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 11:27pm
MetalManiac
v2.36 good, version is higher no Win 7 work, only Win 10.
It is possible to load quietly and 4.41 and 2.30. Wink
ASRock x370 Taichi (bios v2.36) / Ryzen-1800X / Crucial CT16G4DFD824A x2 / GPU: AMD R9 NANO / SSD NVMe Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P1T0BW (M.2) / HDD SATA 3TB x6 / PSU: Corsair AX860i
ps. RedDragon, by AG
Erasmus_Tycho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erasmus_Tycho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 11:32pm
My recommendation to you i to get everything installed, get windows installed, check stability.  Then enable your XMP for your ram, check stability.  If all is going well up to this point, then start overclocking your CPU.  If you run into stability or posting issues, then you should look at a newer bios version.  

I just recently setup my new ryzen machine, my Taichi shipped with 3.20 BIOS version on it... which was causing a weird CPU multi-bug... most common on newer made ryzen chips (while overclocking, it downvolts and throttles the CPU by reducing the multiplier).  Half the time my PC would fail to even post at boot.  BIOS version 4.4 has changed all of that however and now I feel like I can actually push my overclock!

Others experiences have been different.  I've read of several around here having tons of problems on 4.4... I only upgraded because I wasn't able to do anything I wanted on the 3.20 bios version.  

As it says on the BIOS download page, you should only update BIOS if your board isn't working properly.
ASRock x370 Taichi V4.4| Ryzen 1800x | 16GB x 2 DDR4 3200 (14cas) | GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N | WD NVMe Black 512GB | 2 x 500GB Samsung EVO 960 | Corsair HX1000 | EK Custom Loop (360mm rad + 280mm rad)
MetalManiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetalManiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 11:49pm
Thanks for the advice I'll install Win10 and everything on this bios. At least then I'll know if it all goes to hell that changing the bios was the problem and not anything else I've done, will make troubleshooting easier I guess.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 2:58am
2.20 was a stable bios
as mentioned above
install win10 using the newest download (even if you have dvd) just use microsofts media creation tool and a usb stick

perform the install with defaults set to stock (eg plug and play the ram and cpu) this lessons the chance of any minor data corruption while installing windows
remember to install in UEFI mode (it will be a boot option so slowly slowly on the initial boot screens of install and read the options )
after basic windows install ,download the newest chipset drivers from AMD SUPPORT ,and then load any missing drivers from asrock or windows update
then check for updates in windows (yes even though youve  just installed the newest release.....)
then update the updates.....................  Clown

all this before any tweaking of ram or cpu

the evo960 is a fine drive and plays well in am4

hopefully your corsiar ram should be ironed out enough by now to simply click xmp 2933

if you have any issues give us a shout we can help sort them out
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 3:57am
I am on 3.00 on my Taichi. All works well and I have a stable 3.9 OC on my 1600x. My RAM only goes up to 3200 stable (3600 RAM) but I am fine with that seeing as no version (up to 4.XX) allows stability at 3600 anyway. I dropped my timings to CAS 14 and set it to 3200, perfect Smile In all honesty, my CAS 18 default timings at 3600 are horrible anyway and only a tiny fraction faster than tighter timings at 3200. 

I am using Corsair vengeance LPX RAM with sammy B-Die. I need to try some of the newer BIOS versions and see if I can get a stable 3600 at some point but as I said, all is well with 3.00 for me and I see no point in updating just yet. Maybe when I finally upgrade my GPU, same deal, crypto mining killed all my options Cry My GTX 960 is still doing decently well but this 2gb frame buffer is really starting to choke on newer titles.....
Erasmus_Tycho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erasmus_Tycho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 4:32am
2GB frame buffer... and I'm over here like, "Damn, Star Citizen at 4k is nearly maxing my 8GB of vram."
ASRock x370 Taichi V4.4| Ryzen 1800x | 16GB x 2 DDR4 3200 (14cas) | GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N | WD NVMe Black 512GB | 2 x 500GB Samsung EVO 960 | Corsair HX1000 | EK Custom Loop (360mm rad + 280mm rad)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic