ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen 2200G and 2400G in AB350 Mini ITX board

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen 2200G and 2400G in AB350 Mini ITX board
    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:16am
OK, so yesterday, I did 1 build and 1 update.

First the build.  Mini ITX AB350 (fatality) board with 2200G.   Bought all new stuff at Micro Center.  Installed all the hardware.  Temporarily installed my Ryzen 5 1600, did the update to BIOS 4.40.  Replaced it with the 2200G.  Tried to boot.  Fans spin, but Nada.  No video.   

Cleared BIOS (unplugged PS, pushed power button to clear caps, left clear CMOS jumper connected for a few minutes).   Tried again.  Fans spin, but no video again.   Lather, rinse repeat.  Did it a few more times.  Finally, video.

System booted, and was able to install Win 10.  Windows doesn't know the graphics adapter, so installed the base Microsoft driver, but it worked.  Did all updates, for Windows.  Downloaded the driver package from AMDs monstrously confusing link for the APUs, but it actually installed correctly and ran fine.  AIDA64 sees it fine, and the system runs smoothly and as expected.

Next,  on to my regular desktop, which has been another Mini ITX AB350 and Ryzen 5 1600 (OC 3.8Ghz).  I don't game on this machine.  Just a regular desktop for work and other stuff.  Wanted to scrap the old Radeon 6450 thermonuclear device, so went to the 2400G.

I already did the 4.40 BIOS update when it had the 1600 in it.   Swapped CPUs, and again....boot silliness.   No video.   Fan spins, but no video.  Tried again with the BIOS clearing voodoo, and eventually, it lit up.   But it rejected my monitor (DVI-D Shimian), so swapped it with an Asus I had.   Now it lit and ran.  

But, its behaving MUCH differently than the 2200G in the exact same board.

The 2400G and the AB350 Mini ITX are not getting along.  It runs, don't get me wrong, but its confused.   AIDA64 is confused (latest version).  Asrock  Atuning  disagrees, and Ryzen Master says yet another thing.

I was trying to paste images of all 3, but this BBS doesn't make it easy.

Also, there are plenty of new mystery settings in the BIOS/Agesa for Raven Ridge.  Zero information as usual is available

Edited by nanohead - 20 Feb 2018 at 1:19am
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 2:47pm
What exactly is the problem you're seeing? What do you mean by "it's confused"?
nanohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:38pm
Wish I could figure out how to post pictures.  It might be BIOS based, or something else.

Temps, clock speeds, memory speeds, are ALL different in BIOS, AIDA, Ryzen Master, and Asrock F Stream.  BIOS isn't setting clocks correctly on CPU, or Voltage.  If I set voltage or CPU clock in BIOS, Ryzen Master says its something totally different, as does Asrock F Stream.  Etc, etc, etc.  And even in BIOS,   from boot to boot, there's inconsistency.

Also, the newest Radeon Drivers are causing a mess with my display.  Again, not sure if this BIOS or software.  But things like Power Point are disappearing (all data and characters disappear after a few minutes).   When the exact same motherboard was running a Ryzen 5 1600/Radeon 6450 combo, it worked perfectly fine.

So bottom line is, there's bugs somewhere.  Not sure where, but something is not working correctly
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:59pm
u cant upload picure here, but u can show picture from another website, which is really easy to do.
open imgur.com click on new post, put there some picures, click on "get share links", copy bbcode link, paste it here, done

Edited by kerberos_20 - 20 Feb 2018 at 10:00pm
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:19am
Originally posted by kerberos_20 kerberos_20 wrote:

u cant upload picure here,

Is that so? If you switch to Full Reply Editor there's an Insert Image tool. Doesn't it work?

EDIT: Hmmm... no, you're right. It doesn't work.

Edited by JohnM - 21 Feb 2018 at 2:43am
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:37am
Originally posted by nanohead nanohead wrote:

Wish I could figure out how to post pictures.  It might be BIOS based, or something else.

Temps, clock speeds, memory speeds, are ALL different in BIOS, AIDA, Ryzen Master, and Asrock F Stream.  BIOS isn't setting clocks correctly on CPU, or Voltage.  If I set voltage or CPU clock in BIOS, Ryzen Master says its something totally different, as does Asrock F Stream.  Etc, etc, etc.  And even in BIOS,   from boot to boot, there's inconsistency.

Also, the newest Radeon Drivers are causing a mess with my display.  Again, not sure if this BIOS or software.  But things like Power Point are disappearing (all data and characters disappear after a few minutes).   When the exact same motherboard was running a Ryzen 5 1600/Radeon 6450 combo, it worked perfectly fine.

So bottom line is, there's bugs somewhere.  Not sure where, but something is not working correctly

Yes, BIOS P4.40 is quite badly broken in places. I think it was rushed out to meet the launch date of the Ryzen APUs and inadequately tested. See my posts in other threads related to Raven Ridge and the AB350 ITX board.

Temperature reporting is broken in the BIOS. My 2400G is reported at 127.5C permanently.

I don't believe that Ryzen Master and the O.C. Tweaker page of the BIOS are compatible. That's in the FAQ for the board. So, either set the BIOS to the defaults and use Ryzen Master or do your tweaking in the BIOS. Some of the BIOS voltage offsets don't always "stick".

The current Radeon drivers are buggy, that much is acknowledged in the release notes. See under the heading Known Issues.

So yes, I agree. There are bugs but they are being addressed.
slicingblade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slicingblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 7:03am
Temperature reporting is broken in the BIOS. My 2400G is reported at 127.5C permanently.

Thanks for that, I was hunting to verify my 2200g wasn't going to go the PC in the sky there.
nanohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:09am
Ah... Thanks!  Yep, 127.5 temps all the time in BIOS, but CPU Diode seems to be correct at 35 in my case.  The other things you write I've experienced also.  So while I may be crazy, I'm not completely crazy!

All in all, pretty content so far.  Don't really care about overclocking, just want a reliable system.  If the Radeon drivers get stable soon, I'll be fine.

This build is a Mini ITX tiny case build that I want to be silent (Using a X370 Taichi in my gamer).  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic