ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X399 Taichi CPU fan speed profile completely broke
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi CPU fan speed profile completely broke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote degreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi CPU fan speed profile completely broke
    Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 6:28am
X399 Taichi bios 2.00.
1950x processor.
Enermax TR4 cooler.

Custom fan speed profiles do not follow to PWM targets in any way. Predefined profiles seem to be working correctly.
Min speed (35%) 570RPM
Max speed (100%) 2300RPM

I made a drastic profile. Starting from 35% and at 30c turn it up to 100%. At 70c I expect fan speed to be 2300RPM but in reality it is 1256RPM. With a optimal fan profile RPM sits at 600RPM. When stress testing overclocked CPU then temperature slowly raises within 5 minutes up to 90c when it crashes while CPU fan speed never picking up speed.

https://imgur.com/4e0vXwC
https://imgur.com/T78DhRT

kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 11:15am
if u have multiple fans connected to 1 header in serial, then thats pretty much normal behaviour

degreal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote degreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 6:26pm
It's not connected in series, it's connected parallel by using Enermax PWM y-cable. I deleted the y-cable but fan is still out of control. Even without overclocking CPU temperature will go past critical temperature without fan speed picking up.

Looks like just "Monitor CPU" is broken. "Monitor Tctl" seem to be working, but not very usable because of temperature spikes. How to get "Monitor CPU" working?

EDIT: Does anyone have this motherboard and test my 30c 100% curve, can anybody recreate this bug? I think this motherboard killed my Enermax waterpump for running 90c for too long.

Edited by degreal - 27 Feb 2018 at 4:16pm
tacal666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tacal666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 3:27am
@degreal hello, i have the same mothearboard with the 2.0 bios revision, when i target the 100% profile i success, note that i have the NOCTUA TR4 140mm, but my problem is that i setup a custom curve for my fan cpu speed, when i start windows the curve follow the temperature successfully, but when the computer is idle for 15mn the cpu fan speed freeze at the minimum 850rpm and stay freezed at the speed even when i stress the cpu, my curve si simple :
50° -> 60%
65° -> 75%
75° -> 85%
85° -> 95%
have you seen this problem ?
For you problem, try to clear CMOS with te didected button on the mothearboard, then go to sys monitor and run fan-tuning, this will test your cpu speed and generate a custom curve, maybe it can help.
Regard.

TANWare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANWare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 5:43am
I run mine a bit differently,for the fans I run the profile below. For the pump I use full speed.

30° => 35%
40° => 50%
50° => 75%
60° => 100%

It does slowly ramp up the fan speeds but I never see over 77° even under 100% usage of Prime95 with the smallest ftt's. Normal usage I never see over 61° and idle is at 28°, so that works out as well
x399 Taichi, 1950x, 32GB 3466 DDR4
2x500GB 960EVO,Asus 1080TI
Passmark
starmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 1:21am
I have the same board and the same problem.  I have to monitor the Tcltl to get the fans to do anything when setting a custom profile, which is really irritating since it is always 27 C over the Tdie temp thanks to AMD and their goofy "fan protection" logic.

I can't test much at the moment, I came back from vacation and my TR machine is all messed up now.  Constantly crashing, throwing Dr Debug codes, etc.  I am working to isolate the issue, but am thinking my MB is toast.  I already replaced the RAM, SSD and GPU, re-installed windows, etc.  Re-flashed the bios, running only the BIOS defaults and still having lots of hangups, even before the bios screen...  This thing is probably going back to Microcenter today (finally glad I bought one of those protection plans).
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by starmax starmax wrote:

I have the same board and the same problem. ?I have to monitor the Tcltl to get the fans to do anything when setting a custom profile, which is really irritating since it is always 27 C over the Tdie temp thanks to AMD and their goofy "fan protection" logic.

I can't test much at the moment, I came back from vacation and my TR machine is all messed up now. ?Constantly crashing, throwing Dr Debug codes, etc. ?I am working to isolate the issue, but am thinking my MB is toast. ?I already replaced the RAM, SSD and GPU, re-installed windows, etc. ?Re-flashed the bios, running only the BIOS defaults and still having lots of hangups, even before the bios screen... ?This thing is probably going back to Microcenter today (finally glad I bought one of those protection plans).

Yep, and the problem with that comes with the hard limit of 100c you hit in the fan settings in UEFI. That means your critical temp setting , when in TClTL mode, is 100c, but that is really 73c.

With my big cooler, I haven't yet reached over 69c under stress test, but on a hot day, I would hit that. Not sure what the consequences would be...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic