ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock X99 OC Formula overclocking problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock X99 OC Formula overclocking problem
    Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:24am
Hello
At begining sorry for bad english - not my native.

I just bought Asrock X99 OC Formula and Intel 5820K.
Spend one day installing system on my sm951 - all works perfectly.
Second day i wanted to use for overclocking.
After i few hours i gave up. Under bios ratio looks good 44x(4400MHz), but after entering operating system it stucks at 3300Mhz.

Started reading...nothing helpfull found.

Almost at end of day i tryed to upload older bios (from begining i was testing on 2.0 version).

Uploaded version 1.8 and my overclocking is working.

Anyone can confirm that problem with bios 2.0 ? Maybe its bugged, maybe i'm doing something wrong.
I will do tests on 1.9 now...
Overclocking on 1.9 is working too.

Edited by Kalkin - 07 Sep 2015 at 7:47am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 2:39am
Your English is fine, I understand what you wrote. Thumbs Up

I don't have your X99 board, so I can't test this myself.

I don't know what you could be doing wrong when you overclock using the 2.00 UEFI/BIOS version. If you do the same things when using 1.80 or 1.90, but that fails when using 2.00, I would tend to agree 2.00 might have bugs.

You could try using one of the automatic OC setting options in the UEFI/BIOS with 2.00, but you are probably sick of changing to different UEFI/BIOS versions.

As you said, I would want to see reports from other users of the X99 OC Formula board if 2.00 can overclock fine or not.

Thanks for the information but we must be very sure something is wrong with 2.00 before we decide it is has bugs.
Kalkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 4:54am
I'm working in a small computer parts shop in Poland.
I diagnose broken computers or parts.

Today i took two same as mine motherboards from magazine shop.
Used my CPU and my DDR4 on both; upgraded both MB to bios 2.0 and overclocking wasn't working.

I changed then bios to 1.9 and both started working.
Didnt had another CPU for testing, tryed another RAM and nothing changed with other manufacturer (tests was made on 2.0).

Lucky part of this was that i could downgrade bios version to 1.9 :)

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 4:21pm
That does not sound good. Your testing on three of the same boards seems to verify a problem with UEFI 2.00.

Besides a bug, all I can think of is a change in one of the CPU options. It seems as if Turbo is disabled, which would keep the 5820K at its base clock, 3300MHz, as you said you see with your CPU. Perhaps the Turbo option is really Disabled when it is set to Enabled. That would be a simple, but major bug.

I've read that other CPU settings can cause Turbo to not work. That was either SpeedStep or C1E.

Did you check the Advanced -> CPU Configuration screen in the UEFI? Perhaps an option was added or changed in that screen that is causing this to happen.

What are you using to check the CPU speed? CPU-Z? Did you try more than one program to check the CPU speed?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic