ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Fm2a75 pro 4, smoking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadedsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Fm2a75 pro 4, smoking
    Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 5:50am
Hi guys.
Iv just had my new build start smoking, The pc has been running fine for a few days.
Tonight i could smell that horrid electric burning .
So i look to the Motherboard and sure enough a lot of white smoke in a pyroclastic fashion
is pouring from the 8 pin 12 v connector.
So in a panic i switched it off. I was thinking arr just bought all this new gear, that being a new 700 psu, AMD FX apu, 4 gig of hyper x 1600 and the Fm2a75 pro 4. so iv attached a fan to where it was smoking and let it cool down. re booted and its fine. its stopped smoking but im not very happy, im worried it may spring into flame while im out. can AsRock help me ? its a new Mobo and should not bve smoking. where not talking a little solder flux here, Major stream of thick white smoke. nothing shorted and nothings moved. can i send the Board back to As rock ? as i bought it at manchester computer fair, from a stall vendor. I dont know the guy or if he will be there next weekend ? I should say iv been building for over 17 years and iv never seen this happen so it is far and few between.
But when it happens there is nowt you can do to stop it.
What is my next line of action ?
Cheers guys.
jadedsoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadedsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 6:58am
o yea.. i was running the onboard GFX.. since i seen the smoke i installed my HD 5450 card and rebooted and it aint smoking anymore so i think that was the problem area. No overclocking as i dont know how to, well iv never bothered with overclocking i just run stuff vanilla.
So maybe the gfx was using to much juice ?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by jadedsoul jadedsoul wrote:

Hi guys.
Iv just had my new build start smoking, The pc has been running fine for a few days.
Tonight i could smell that horrid electric burning .
So i look to the Motherboard and sure enough a lot of white smoke in a pyroclastic fashion
is pouring from the 8 pin 12 v connector.
So in a panic i switched it off. I was thinking arr just bought all this new gear, that being a new 700 psu, AMD FX apu, 4 gig of hyper x 1600 and the Fm2a75 pro 4. so iv attached a fan to where it was smoking and let it cool down. re booted and its fine. its stopped smoking but im not very happy, im worried it may spring into flame while im out. can AsRock help me ? its a new Mobo and should not bve smoking. where not talking a little solder flux here, Major stream of thick white smoke. nothing shorted and nothings moved. can i send the Board back to As rock ? as i bought it at manchester computer fair, from a stall vendor. I dont know the guy or if he will be there next weekend ? I should say iv been building for over 17 years and iv never seen this happen so it is far and few between.
But when it happens there is nowt you can do to stop it.
What is my next line of action ?
Cheers guys.

You had a large amount of smoke coming out of the 8 pin CPU power connector... did you check that cable and the connector before starting the board again? If not, you're very lucky it didn't start smoking again! Dead Not to mention that the board still works! You may be risking the life of your CPU using the board in its present condition, not to mention all kinds of things, up to a fire in your home.

There is no chance the graphics on the CPU (FX APU what???) used so much power it caused the 8 pin connector to burn. That problem in usually caused by a bad connection of the pins in the cable connector to the pins in the board's connector. Inserting that cable with the board in the PC case can be difficult.

It's also possible that an eight pin PCIe power cable was connected to the eight pin CPU power connection, which is wrong. The +12V and ground (earth) connections are in opposite locations in those two connectors.

Was this board in an unopened box? What is the full model name/number of PSU you are using? I'm surprised the PSU did not shut off from an over current condition.

The ASRock RMA page is here: http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=RMA

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic