ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - System crashing on Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

System crashing on Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sakphul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: System crashing on Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
    Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 4:19am
Hello everyone,
I have a very strange error and I believe that it is caused by some wrong bios setting.

My System:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard Model: ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
RAM:2x G.Skill DIMM 8GB DDR4-2400 (F4-2400C15-8GNT)
Video Card: ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 4G GAMING OC
PSU: Corsair SF450
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4
Casing: Silverstone Sugo SG05
SSD: SanDisk Extreme Pro 480GB (SDSSDXPS480G)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 16299.248 (1709/RS3)

When I try to play a game the system crashes after a couple of seconds. With crashing I mean a hard crash like unplugging power. I have to restart the system on my own (It does not restart on its own).

If I try to only put load on the gpu via furmark it is working (>1h). Also loading the cpu only (via Prime95) works like a charm (> 6h). If I do both the system crashes (sometimes it lasts for about 5 minutes).

What I tried:

Reduce GPU frequency to about 1000MHz
By reducing the frequency for the gpu the system is able to run for a couple of hours, but stil randomly crashes.

Exchange PSU
I tried different PSU's (other 450W models and also a 650W model) but all show the same behaviour.

Test RAM with memtes
Memtest86 was running for about 6h on all 16 cores and shows no errors (it reached to 8 1/2 passes).

Reduce RAM speed to 2133MHz
System still crashes.

Exchange Motherboard
I thought that maybe the motherboard is broken. So I did a RMA and got a new one. System is still crashing with the new board.

Disable AMD turbocore
System is still crashing.

Undervolt/underclock CPU
GPU on default. Systems tability gets a little bit better. But still crashes after a couple of minutes

Reassemble system

I reassembled the system after exchanging the motherboard and also checked the wiring. Nothing wrong as far as I can see.

Try clean Windows/Ubuntu
I tried on a freshly installed Windows and Ubuntu. System crashes on both OS's after a couple of seconds.

I have verified the gpu is working in my old system. It is working like a charm. So I now think that maybe there is some error in the bios setting. I tried disabling Over Temperature Protection but this did not work. I also set all coolers to maximum speed (maybe some temperature spike) but the system still crashes.

I now have no idea what could be wrong. My simple guess is that Asrock B350 ITX cannot handle a Ryzen 1700 and RX470. Therefore it's broken beyond repair...

Or does anyone has a idea what could be wrong?
superneo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superneo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 4:40am
are you using onboard wlan?
Sakphul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sakphul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 4:55am
Well, yes and no.

I am connected via wired ethernet. But I havent disabled wlan inn bios.Also did not connect antennas.
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 7:50am
Which BIOS version?

Let me see if I understand your problem. You can stress either the CPU or the GPU and it's fine but if you stress both simultaneously you get a crash "like unplugging the power". Also, where you say "System still crashes" that means it crashes if you stress both CPU and GPU but is fine otherwise. Is that correct?

It sounds like a power problem. How are you providing the CPU power - 4 or 8 pin connector? (I think I can guess as I have the same PSU but I'd like you to confirm it.)

When it shuts down, do the fans stop and lights go out?

Have you tried removing the motherboard from the case and powering it up sitting on the cardboard box?

Edited by JohnM - 04 Mar 2018 at 7:51am
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
nanohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:20am
Agree with JohnM , Sounds like a power problem to me.  Almost like when you try to combine the current draw of both the CPU and the GPU it causes the power supply to go into safety mode.  Your power supply is a bit on the small side for all those components, but it shouldn't just cut out, unless its a defective unit.  

Another dumb question.   Are you powering the motherboard with an 8 pin or 4 pin connector from the power supply.  If its the 8 pin, are you using the correct 8 pin?  the one for the motherboard (2x4 pin) instead of the PCIe 8 pin (6+2 pin).   Are you only using 4pins?  Do you have the correct PCIe connector in the video card?

If you've switched everything as you said in your original post, then its either miswiring of the mobo with the PS, a bad PS, or possibly a bad GPU.  It could also be a bad PCIe connector too I suppose

MikeBE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 11:56am
I agree. The power draw of the RX 4XX cards is supposedly quite high, and I would use a power supply of at least 750 watts.
-Mike Elek
http://photographytoday.net
Sakphul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sakphul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 1:55am
Bios Version is 3.10

"System still crashes" means that it is crashing while loading CPU and GPU both at the same time. Only loading CPU or GPU alone is fine.

I have connected the CPU Power via the 8-Pin connector.

When it shuts down all lights go out and fans are not spinning anymore. System has completely shut down.

I can try running it outside of the case. But I fear that it wont make much of a difference. Nevertheless I will give it a try.
Sakphul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sakphul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 2:01am
Originally posted by nanohead nanohead wrote:

Another dumb question.   Are you powering the motherboard with an 8 pin or 4 pin connector from the power supply.  If its the 8 pin, are you using the correct 8 pin?  the one for the motherboard (2x4 pin) instead of the PCIe 8 pin (6+2 pin).   Are you only using 4pins?  Do you have the correct PCIe connector in the video card?

If you've switched everything as you said in your original post, then its either miswiring of the mobo with the PS, a bad PS, or possibly a bad GPU.  It could also be a bad PCIe connector too I suppose

I have connected CPU power via the 8 Pin (4pin + 4pin) connector. Since this is the only one it cannot be wrong. GPU is connected via the 6+2 pin connector (Asus RX470 only uses 6 Pin connector).

Since I tried multiple different power supplies (other 450W brands and a 650W) I do not think that its related to bad Powersupply. My Powersupply can run the GPU and a A10-5700 (has almost the same Power draw as the Ryzen 1700) just fine (was my old build).

Since I switched the Mainboard it also cannot be a faulty PCIe connector. Only if all Asrock B350 have faulty PCIe connectors.
Sakphul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sakphul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 4:37am
Just tried running the Mainboard outside of the case on a cardboard. Only CPU, RAM, GPU and SSD connected. Nothing else. It still crashes during benchmark.
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Sakphul Sakphul wrote:

When it shuts down all lights go out and fans are not spinning anymore. System has completely shut down.

That suggests to me that it's the PSU shutting down rather than a failure of the VRMs to provide sufficient power to the CPU. Can you measure the power drawn from the supply socket with something like a Kill A Watt meter? If not I'd try a higher powered PSU or a lower powered GPU.
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic