ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H77 Pro4-M hangs after bios update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H77 Pro4-M hangs after bios update
    Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 11:09pm
Hello,

I am having a big problem after update Bios from H77 Pro4-M motherboard.
I Downloaded latest Bios from Asrock.
In Bios menu the new bios version was found and update seemed succesful.
After starting up automaticly, the system does not start.
I see The Asrock screen with the options F2, F6 etc but nothing else happens.
When i do nothing it just stays on screen. I am not able to choose one of te options on screen.

What to do? Is it possible to restore the old bios?
Or can i repeat the flashing? But how with a system that doesn't react?

I have no idee and hope some off you do know how to fix this Ermm

Thanks for that, Jan

Edited by JanV - 08 Sep 2015 at 11:10pm
memays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote memays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:06am
Having exact same problem with H81M-HDS Board after using ASROCK update utility recommended to update BIOS.  Now, SATA ports 0,1,2,3 became 0,1,4,5.  Opened a support ticket, and awaiting a response....
Mike
memays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote memays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 6:35am
Jan V.

Well after 24 hours of a machine as a vegetable, and NO CONTACT from ASRock support, I was able to get my board running again, by disconnecting ALL of the Sata devices from the board,  then downloading the  most recent BIOS from this site, and load to a USB.   With the SATA connectors disconnected, I was able to then press F2 and get the configuration screen to show up.   I re-flashed the BIOS with the downloaded BIOS files, and it was successful.  Reconnected the SATA cables, and the machine came up successfully.   This worked for me - no guarantee it will fix your problem, but it's better than the support we are getting here (nothing).

Good Luck! and please post back here if it works.Wink

Mike
JanV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 6:48am
Hi Mike,

Your answer did help me in some way Smile
I began disconnecting the usb devices on the back panel.
The computer starts normal when i don't connect my USB-keyboard Angry
After starting Win7 i can connect it and it works fine.

I am going to reflash in a few days to see if that solves the problem.
Or is there some setting that is not correct? Help (also from ASRock Technical Support) would be nice Tongue

JanV
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 1:41pm
In the case of the H77 Pro4-M board, the 2.00 BIOS update (which I assume you used) includes this: Update ME to 8.1.20.1336. That's an update to the Intel Management Engine firmware, that is part of the BIOS, and is not normally updated.

In the past on some ASRock boards, when the IME firmware is updated, that part of the update is done during the restart after Instant Flash is finished. The trick is the USB flash drive must be left in the PC until the restart completely boots into Windows.

Yes I know there are no instructions explaining this, and I'm not even sure if this applies to your board. Did you remove the USB flash drive right after Instant Flash completed?

You should be able to perform the 2.00 update again. You should also be able to change to any BIOS version you choose, such as an earlier version.

What kind of keyboard are you using that you have trouble with?

In the case of the H81M-HDS board, I don't know what caused your problem. That sounds like an issue with the BIOS update itself. The board has four SATA ports, but the numbering scheme/assignment for a six port SATA board was used. Strange I've never heard of this issue before, but who knows?
JanV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 3:07am
Thank you Parsec,

You are correct, i used the 2.00 update.

Your answer explains some things to me.Smile
I am pretty sure that i removed the usb stick with the update on it, as sone as the machine restarted (afraid that the update might start again). And the system said that the update was complete before restarting.Confused

Your answer also makes clear why a part of the update came on screen when i inserted the usb stick when the system did start after disconnecting the usb keybord.

I wil try to update again and let the usb stick inserted. Do you have any idee what to do with the usb keybord? Let it connected during the whole update or remove it?

The keybord i use is a Medion KBR0108.

Thanks again for your help Clap
JanV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 6:27am
Hmm, flashing from Uefi did not work. Simply no reaction.
The windows version however did work. First i flashed the 1.90 and after that i flashed the 2.00 Bios.
All works fine just not when the USB keybord is connected  Angry

In the Bios i see the version is 2.00 and i did select default settings in the first startup.Smile
Tomorrow i wil try installing several new USB drivers. Hope that wil change something Confused
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 2:10pm
Some suggestions for you:

Connect the keyboard to a USB 2.0 port. You mentioned USB drivers, and the only ones we install are USB 3.0 drivers, and only up to Windows 7. If you are using a USB 3.0 port for a keyboard because it is faster, don't bother. The actual USB interface needed by any keyboard to operate is USB 1.1. I was just reading the specs for a fancy mechanical key keyboard, that you can press every key on it at the same time and all of them will be sent to the PC. The USB interface required for that: USB 1.1.

In the BIOS, USB Configuration: If Legacy USB support is enabled, disable it. I must do that with my ASRock X99 board, or I get no mouse in the BIOS. The new BIOS version may have changed the default settings for the Legacy USB options. Or...

If Legacy USB support is disabled and the keyboard does not work, enable it. Sometimes I get the feeling that the enable and disable settings get reversed. I have no way to verify that, but put it this way: If the keyboard does not work with Legacy USB set one way, try setting it to the opposite setting. Also, don't choose Auto, that is just either enabled or disabled.

Install the driver for the Keyboard again. Sounds strange, I know. Personally I would do that before installing USB 3.0 drivers again.

Can you even find a USB 2.0 driver you can install?
JanV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 6:32am
Thanks again Parsec,StarStar

I have got it all working again SmileSmile thanks to your help.
Like you suggested i dissabled Legacy USB support.
After that the machine just started again and Windows also started.

There was one little problem left at that point.
When Windows started it gave some repair option.
And at that moment the usb keybord did not work.
I fixed that by connecting my old keybord (not USB) and choosing Windows to start normal.

I tried to restart the system and now all just works fine.
Windows is starting and my USB Keybord and USB Mouse are working fine Big smileBig smile

Jan V

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic