ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I know XMP is enabled?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thralni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I know XMP is enabled?
    Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 10:39pm
Hello all,

Just completed my first ever build. It boots, it installs Windows, and all seems fine overall. Now I wanted to do some OC'ing.

This is my first time ever doing this kind of thing, and besides some Youtube videos and reviews have no real idea about OC'ing, so decided to start with something simple: OC'ing the RAM. I've got two 8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX modules, rated to go up to 3200MHz. My motherbard is a Fatality K6 Z370.

For all I can see, the motherboard recognizes the right XMP profile to use, as it chooses a DDR4-3200 profile (it was set to Auto originally, but I selected Profile 1, which holds the DDR4-3200 profile). However, I'm confused as to whether it's actually applying it... In the list of RAM modules installed, for the A2 and B2 positions, it lists the 8GB modules, but as (DDR4-2133) rather than (DDR4-3200). So how do I know that the XMP profile is enabled and applied?

I realize this must be a terribly basic question, but the manual that came with the board doens't really give much instruction... Hoping somebody can give me a quick and easy answer :)

Thanks!
jclausius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jclausius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Thralni Thralni wrote:

However, I'm confused as to whether it's actually applying it... In the list of RAM modules installed, for the A2 and B2 positions, it lists the 8GB modules, but as (DDR4-2133) rather than (DDR4-3200). So how do I know that the XMP profile is enabled and applied?
If you look through the BIOS is there a page, which lists the current clocks of DRAM?

Another option is to install something like CPU-Z ( https://cpu-z.en.softonic.com/download ) and check the memory tab to see DRAM/memory settings.

HTH

Edited by jclausius - 14 Mar 2018 at 11:21pm
x299e-itx/ac | i7-7820X@3.60GHz | 32GB - 4x8GB Quad Channel@3000MHz GSkill DDR4 | nVidia GTX 1060M w/ 6GB GDDR5 | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | 160GB Seagate Momentus | Panasonic UJ265
Thralni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thralni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 5:34am
Hey, thanks for your reply! I downloaded CPU-Z and saw under the memory tab that the frequency is at 1600MHz. From what I remember, CPU-Z shows you the RMA frquency at half of what it actually is, so I'm assuming that, indeed, my RAM is OC'ed to the 3200MHz that it was rated to do. So thanks for helping out Smile
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 9:52am
That is odd that your BIOS does not show it running at 3200 once the XMP is loaded and saved/exited and rebooted. In the BIOS for my Asrock Z370 on both main page and on the OC Tweaker > Dram page it shows my ram running at it's XMP profile speed

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:46am
Screenshot please.

USB stick formatted FAT32(NTFS?) inserted, then when on the BIOS page press F12 and you'll see a notice that it save it to USB

Then simply up it onto a file hoster.
Thralni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thralni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 3:20am
I've been OC'ing the CPU lately, and thought I'd just drop a line that now in fact the BIOS does show the RAM at 3200MHz. I expected the change to show immediately when enabling the XMP profile, like when you set the multiplier of the CPU, but I guess that's not what happens. After rebooting I did, indee,d see the increased clock on the RAM.

Thanks for the help!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 3:27am

I've been OC'ing the CPU lately, and thought I'd just drop a line that now in fact the BIOS does show the RAM at 3200MHz. I expected the change to show immediately when enabling the XMP profile, like when you set the multiplier of the CPU, but I guess that's not what happens. After rebooting I did, indee,d see the increased clock on the RAM.

Thanks for the help!

That's what I was hoping you'd notice.

Happy to. NP.
jclausius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jclausius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 11:26pm

Hey, thanks for your reply! I downloaded CPU-Z and saw under the memory tab that the frequency is at 1600MHz. From what I remember, CPU-Z shows you the RMA frquency at half of what it actually is, so I'm assuming that, indeed, my RAM is OC'ed to the 3200MHz that it was rated to do. So thanks for helping out?Smile
That is correct! DDR, where D means double. The speed is reported as half, but for DDR, it can issue ops when the clock goes up and issues ops when the clock goes down, so one multiplies the clock speed to get its true operational speed.

Also note, if you're satisfied , you can also click "Thanks" in the title bar on for posts that help.

Glad to see you are up and running!

Edited by jclausius - 14 Mar 2018 at 11:27pm
x299e-itx/ac | i7-7820X@3.60GHz | 32GB - 4x8GB Quad Channel@3000MHz GSkill DDR4 | nVidia GTX 1060M w/ 6GB GDDR5 | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | 160GB Seagate Momentus | Panasonic UJ265
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic