ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

VRAM ab350m pro4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Kurt18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurt18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VRAM ab350m pro4
    Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The only time you would want to set the GPU shared vRAM to 2gb or higher is if you have limited (6gb or less) RAM and want to ensure the GPU is always fed. The reason I say this is because of how games handle vRAM, if you run out of vRAM the game will swap to system RAM, if that runs out it will swap to the hard disk. 

What this means is that it makes no difference if you select the lowest shared RAM size or the highest as the system RAM and shared vRAM run at exactly the same speed. When your games run out of vRAM they will swap to RAM which is the same anyway. The only time this could be an issue is if the game hard detects the amount of vRAM available and won't let you play or grays out quality settings. This is rare these days.

Personally, I would set the vRAM buffer to 1gb and enjoy your system, you will not see a performance increase with more shared RAM.

Unless you're running a Linux distro that doesn't want to play nicely  with the VEGA GPU yet Smile.  I have an older AMD video card installed  and that works fine with Ubuntu 18.04. I first tried disabling the GPU totally and  sound went away. Apparently the GPU is involved in HD Audio.  I found the lowest available RAM allocation - 64 MB.  adequate.  Of 8 GB installed about 7.74 GB. is available. I'm sure eventually the integral GPU will work with Linux -- it's supposed to now with bleeding edge kernel and other components but I'm not demanding of graphics performance so using a couple years old video card works just fine.

Edited by Kurt18 - 06 Aug 2018 at 8:00am
Brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The only time you would want to set the GPU shared vRAM to 2gb or higher is if you have limited (6gb or less) RAM and want to ensure the GPU is always fed. The reason I say this is because of how games handle vRAM, if you run out of vRAM the game will swap to system RAM, if that runs out it will swap to the hard disk.?

What this means is that it makes no difference if you select the lowest shared RAM size or the highest as the system RAM and shared vRAM run at exactly the same speed. When your games run out of vRAM they will swap to RAM which is the same anyway. The only time this could be an issue is if the game hard detects the amount of vRAM available and won't let you play or grays out quality settings. This is rare these days.

Personally, I would set the vRAM buffer to 1gb and enjoy your system, you will not see a performance increase with more shared RAM.
Thank You for clearing that up.
KETT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KETT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:23pm
Thanks man ! :)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:05pm
The only time you would want to set the GPU shared vRAM to 2gb or higher is if you have limited (6gb or less) RAM and want to ensure the GPU is always fed. The reason I say this is because of how games handle vRAM, if you run out of vRAM the game will swap to system RAM, if that runs out it will swap to the hard disk. 

JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:07pm
Yes, you can. The question has been answered several times but can be difficult to find. Here's a copy/paste of one of them:

I don't have the same motherboard as you but, assuming the different BIOSes are laid out in a similar way, try this:

Advanced\
  AMD CBS\
    NBIO Common Options\
      GFX Config
        IGC : Forces
        UMA Mode : UMA_Spec
        UMA Frame Buffer : 512 MB

Once you've navigated through the complex page structure of the Advanced menu change IGC to "Forces" (sic. maybe it should read "Forced"). Once you have done that The UMA Mode item appears. Once you have changed that to "UMA_Spec" the UMA Frame Buffer item appears. You can change that to whatever you want but consider this, 2GB is the maximum you can allocate to the iGPU. Auto means that the amount dedicated to the iGPU depends on how much system RAM you have installed and is set at system start up. On my board 16 GB of RAM results in 1 GB being reserved when set to Auto. I understand that 32 GB would result in 2 GB being reserved and 8 GB would result in 512 MB being reserved (so 1/16 of the available RAM, which seems like a reasonable default). However, once RAM is reserved for the iGPU it is not available to Windows so you may not want to allocate the maximum 2 GB, especially since Windows can always dynamically allocate more to the iGPU anyway. Because the iGPU has no special VRAM of its own there is no speed difference between dedicated iGPU memory and dynamically allocated system memory and therefore little to be gained by dedicating a big chunk of the system memory to it unless a specific application (such as a particular game) checks how much GPU memory is present. YouTuber "Hardware Unboxed" did an in depth test of this if you're interested. So please don't simply set the amount to maximum without giving it some thought.

In more recent BIOS updates the 2 GB limit has been removed.
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
KETT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KETT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:43pm
Im using 2200g with integrated vega 8.Does anyone knows if I can change the amount of VRAM set on AM350M PRO4 ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic