ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Warning, J3455B/J3455-ITX/J4205-ITX BIOS brick !
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Warning, J3455B/J3455-ITX/J4205-ITX BIOS brick !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 6:24am
Originally posted by McLeft McLeft wrote:

Managed to fix the board with cheap CH341A programmer (accompanied with soic8 clip and 1.8v level converter).
Flashed 1.70 binary with no problems. No soldering required. Board came back to life! " :)

Fantastic! That is great to hear and thanks for letting us know Thumbs Up

Edited by Xaltar - 16 Mar 2018 at 6:25am
Feelgood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 3:36pm
could you please send the link to the programmer? 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 5:55pm
Quick google search:

You will also need the soic8 clip and 1.8v level converter, they seem to be commonly purchased together on bangood. 

Good luck.
McLeft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote McLeft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 7:08pm
Exactlly.

But i got a newer one - The Black Edition )
Programmer - link
1.8v adapter - link
soic8 clip - link

Procedure is similar to one described here

Except: 

Instead of unsoldering battery - you have  just disconnect power and remove li-on battery.

Step 4 - I didn't use auto-detect feature (some ppl say it may be not safe)  - used a dropdown lists to select chip by name. (J3455B uses type "25SPI flash" Windond W25Q64FW chip, probably other boards use the same one)

Steps 7,8,9  - can be replaced with clicking "Auto" button.

Edited by McLeft - 16 Mar 2018 at 7:21pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 7:37pm
Thanks for the added information McLeft Thumbs Up
Manics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Manics, I believe Envio was simply quoting a response they received from Tech Support.

I will pass this information on to my contacts at ASRock. I am sure they are aware of the issue but it does not hurt to provide them with additional information. 

I have to wonder if this is a widespread issue or a problem with a particular set of hardware configurations. I can assure you, BIOS updates are thoroughly tested so when something like this happens there is usually another factor at play. 

I know you guys are all angry (certainly understandable) but could you please share your system specifications, RAM model number, add in cards etc? If there is a common thread between you it will help tremendously in identifying where things went wrong. These things happen and it is most frustrating when you find yourself on the receiving end.

In addition, if you have not already please open support tickets with ASRock. If your board is still under warranty go ahead and RMA. If not ASRock may be able to assist you further (they are usually very good with issues like this). If you do open a ticket, please link this thread in your ticket. 

Firstly, my apologies to Envio. Regarding my system specs, I am using J4205-ITX/M/ASRK and 2 sticks of Kingston kcp3l16sd8/8 DDR3 SODIMM (16 GB in total). Also connected is an extra ASMedia SATA controller on the PCI E slot to give me extra SATA ports.

Manics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:10pm
By the way, why are the problematic BIOS updates still available for download? Surely, they should be rescinded to avoid damaging more boards!
McLeft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McLeft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 3:55am
Originally posted by Manics Manics wrote:

By the way, why are the problematic BIOS updates still available for download? Surely, they should be rescinded to avoid damaging more boards!
Actually they removed Win/DOS versions. Just "instant FLash" versions are left.
Manics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by McLeft McLeft wrote:

Originally posted by Manics Manics wrote:

Actually they removed Win/DOS versions. Just "instant FLash" versions are left.

So it has. Perhaps this suggests hardware configuration isn't the issue, so I have to ask the question again - had the ASRock engineers actually tested this properly prior to making the updates available?

Even though the Instant Flash update v.1.60 is available, I still cannot trust it and quite frankly, I cannot trust ASRock to get anything right, after this debacle! Unfortunately, it seems ASRock are unique in being the only OEM of these low-powered Apollo Lake boards and I bought one due to their low-power consumption. But my trust in ASRock is gone and I would rather be without this and purchase higher-powered i3/i5/i7 manufactured by another brand.
McLeft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McLeft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 1:24pm
Now they removed new firmware at all. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic