ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - x370 Killer SLI/ac Front USB doesn't work properly
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 Killer SLI/ac Front USB doesn't work properly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandervecken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x370 Killer SLI/ac Front USB doesn't work properly
    Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 4:06am
Hi folks,
I have an X370 Killer SLI/ac with a Corsair case that has front-panel USB 3.0 (2 ports, one internal connector). After connecting the front-panel up to the motherboard, I find that one USB port works, and the other doesn't.
I even RMAed the front-panel from the manufacturer and reinstalled it, but I still find that one USB port works and the other doesn't.

So it sounds like it's a motherboard issue, right? What could it be?

Thanks,
Michael
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 4:18am
A bent or broken pin?
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 6:17am
Originally posted by JohnM JohnM wrote:

A bent or broken pin?

Same MB here.

Where is it you are plugging it in at on the MB?

I have both mine connected in the middle of the board, above the SATA ports.

EDIT:

One works? You mean to say one port of the two off the same USB case connector?

Edited by wardog - 14 Mar 2018 at 6:20am
Vandervecken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandervecken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 8:30am
The Mobo has two USB 3.0 connectors, at the front edge of the board near the RAM.
The front-panel has one USB 3.0 cable that connects to one of those two connectors - either one. When connected, one of the USB *ports* in the *front panel* works, and the other one does not.
I'm not saying one of the USB 3.0 ports on the *motherboard* works and the other doesn't, I'm saying that on the front panel *itself*, one port works and one doesn't.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 9:56am
that sounds more like front panel issue if both mobo ports acting same way
feel free to rma again or test in in another pc
or maybe your usb device doesnt sit in properly?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandervecken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:38am
As I mentioned, I have already RMAed the front panel, and the new front panel has the same issue. The odds that both front panels are broken is very small.

The fact that one port works and one doesn't, when they both link to the mobo via the same connector, is really bizarre.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 11:01am
Lemme guess. When connected to either USB 3.0 port on the MB it is the same case port that does not function. correct?

If so, that's telling me the front panel you've been getting is wired incorrectly, or defective.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandervecken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 11:19am
So you're suggesting the most likely problem is that both the original front panel and the replacement front panel suffer from the same defect? Isn't that pretty unlikely?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Vandervecken Vandervecken wrote:

So you're suggesting the most likely problem is that both the original front panel and the replacement front panel suffer from the same defect? Isn't that pretty unlikely?

I assume, since I haven't read you say it, that on both MB ports the same panel USB port doesn't work.

If that's the instance here, then yea. I am.

Isn't that pretty unlikely? Yes and no. IMO, that would point to the panel not the MB. I've received staranger oddities that caused me to lose hair over.

so............

When connected to either MB connection. Does the same panel USB port not work?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 1:20pm
Note:

On the panel cables end that plugs into the MB. Is it polarized? Meaning the plug has one corner socket that is covered/blocked?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic