ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Archive of Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming BIOS?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Archive of Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming BIOS?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Archive of Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming BIOS?
    Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 12:45am
Hi all,

I'm new here, due to recently updating my PC.

Anyway, I did the online BIOS upgrade of my motherboard, and it wouldn't boot - it tried to install 2.0, iirc.

I rolled it back to 1.3 and now it only recognizes 16GB of the 32GB installed (I didn't notice if this was the case before I upgraded it, and I don't know what BIOS it shipped with)

• Windows says 32GB, with 15.9 usable
  • Memtest says it has 16GB installed
  • When I enter the BIOS during booting, it acknowledges four 8GB sticks

So, is there an archive of BIOSes anywhere that i can try one by one to find one that boots/reads all the memory?

Thanks in advance.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 2:23am
mrscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 2:25am
I'll give it a try, thanks a lot.

Edited by mrscott - 15 Mar 2018 at 5:18am
mrscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 5:45am
I was able to get it to boot at BIOS version 1.5, but it still didn't recognize the full 32GB of RAM. Taking it to 1.7 caused the PC to not boot. And it wouldn't boot going straight from 1.3 to 2.0 (after that I went one version at time before stopping at 1.5).

I've contacted support, and will see what they say. I might have to RMA it failing that.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 7:05am
Before you RMA, pull and reseat the memory. Clearing the BIOS after.

These "new' slots, many times we here have found that reseating, and making sure they are fully seated, remedies what you are seeing.

--

An aside. The mem you have. What Kit, and are all the sticks you are using from the same single "Kit' ? ie: 2 or 4 sticks all from the same Kit. Not using two Kits are you?

Depending one one or two Kits, I may have more ideas to quickly try.

mrscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 8:08am
I bought a GSkill TridentZ kit (4x8GB) Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZ. I'm 99% sure I found it on the QVL. So, yes, it's just one kit.

I will certainly re-seat the memory, and report back with the results. The BIOS claims it's in quad channel mode, for what that's worth. 

What could be the cause of it not liking a BIOS upgrade beyond 1.5?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:45am
Originally posted by mrscott mrscott wrote:

First let's hear what happens after you reseat the, pressing firmly.
SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 12:24am
Not recognizing all of the modules (or inability to allocate all of the memory)  might also happen if some pins are bent on the CPU socket.
Before RMA (and after reseating the memory) VERY CAREFULLY remove the CPU from the socket and under a magnifying glass check if any pins are bent.

If any of them are bent -- do not try to fix this by yourself if you didn't do it for the SR4/TR4 socket and without special tools. In that case RMA the board...

Edited by SoniC - 16 Mar 2018 at 12:54am
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU
mrscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 5:05am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by mrscott mrscott wrote:

First let's hear what happens after you reseat the, pressing firmly.

Same thing. I removed every DIMM and reseated them, to no avail.

I might try what the poster above me suggested, or I might just fire it back to newegg. We'll see how much time I can be bothered wasting on this issue.

Edited by mrscott - 16 Mar 2018 at 5:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic