ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

old memory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenox114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old memory
    Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 8:49pm
I'm running an asrock z77 extreme 4 with Corsair's Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). I'm planning to upgrade to the Z97 Extreme6 with an Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150. Will my old ram work in the new MB until I get around to buying some DDR3 3200?
Well, Ollie....
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 9:34pm
It should work fine. DDR3 in particular has evolved a lot since its initial release but generally speaking most boards will be backwards compatible with older revisions. Problems generally only arise when trying to use newer, often larger capacity RAM modules on older boards. 

Obviously you still face compatibility issues with particular models and brands of RAM, hence the RAM compatibility chart on product pages. Generally speaking if a particular kit of RAM worked in an older model board of the same brand, in this instance ASRock, it will work in a newer one without issue so long as the jump is not too great, eg. a socket 775 board to a Z97 as then you may find the much older RAM lacks features needed by the much newer chipset. Even in this instance however the odds are still in favor of the RAM working.

In all honesty, unless you are planning to seriously upgrade the capacity of your RAM the DDR3 1600 kit will be more than adequate for the Z97 board, you generally can overclock most DDR3 significantly if you bump up the timings and increase the voltage a little. Take a look at the specs of say a DDR3 2400 kit from the same series as your vengeance kit and set your 1600 kit to the same in your BIOS and most likely you will find the RAM will quite happily run at DDR3 2400 or beyond. Most DDR3 over 1600mhz uses 1.6v or 1.65v and has fairly loose timings with only the true "enthusiast" RAM actually being much different than a 1600 kit in construction and component quality. Basically it comes down to binning with some kits only being stable at XXXXmhz while others able to perform higher. We the consumer then pay a premium for the higher binned RAM when in all likelihood the cheaper binned RAM would have overclocked to the same speed anyway now that the manufacturing process is so mature.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic