ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Gaming-iTX/ac - freezing (oh no...)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Thenightstalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thenightstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Gaming-iTX/ac - freezing (oh no...)
    Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 6:57am
Little update ...

Running the system now on CBS OC settings since 2 days with AUTO settings for RAM timings.
This way I had no more cold boot issues but the timings are terrible ... at least I can boot whenever I want and reboot with Ryzen Master to my prefered timings ... sucks but works for now.

Also got my NVMe Samsung 960 now, hopefully this will add a bit more speed as well.

Here's a quick bench result for my system
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7982487

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thenightstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 6:48am
This whole thing is complete garbage, I'm sorry ...

I'm not even talking about the SOC Voltage and trouble on OCing above 3200 (RAM) or OCing APU at all....

The fact that they can't get this damn system to cold boot with absolutely f***ing stable RAM settings is just .... Angry

As I said yesterday I set all my RAM settings in CBS now but still I can't get it to boot. I turned of tha RAM training as well but it also still resets my RAM settings as well as my GFX settings in the CBS. If it would set the RAM at leas to something "usable" but it clocks it down to 2133 .. MAN, THOSE MODULES ARE 4000 and retail at about 250 bucks, are you kidding me ASRock!?

Sorry guys but I'm pissed off, I had plenty of systems in the past but that's so bad, get that fixed asap!
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:59pm
Indeed you are right, I mentioned this before, on the AB350/X370 Fatality ITX there is no SOC/GFX voltage monitoring entry in the UEFI, you should not exceed 1.25V SOC/GFX, a voltage monitoring entry should be added for SOC/GFX because the CPU has sensors for this and has outputs for displaying these voltages but ASRock decided its easier not to add these entries in the UEFI....

Edited by cristy6100 - 23 Mar 2018 at 7:00pm
Mobawe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mobawe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by cristy6100 cristy6100 wrote:

Could you try another thing?
Enter UEFI, and change overclock settings from ASRock Settings to AMD CBS then go to /AMD CBS/Zen Common Options/ and switch Core Performance Boost to Disabled, this should fix 90% of stuttering and frame drops, you will still have Adaptive Frequency and Voltage but you will loose Turbo and XFR so CPU part will be limited to 3.6GHz on all cores, the GPU part remains at the same frequency as before. I dont know if it will help with the cold boots but worth checking

EDIT: you will need to switch to AMD CBS Settings from ASRock for this setting to stick

Hi Guys

I tried to do the same and it was definetely a step forward. Yes, I dont have the Turbo on the CPU anymore but now I am able to clock the APU much higher than before. Before I was not able to clock the apu above 1300Mhz without a crash and it was not a temperature issue.

My guess is that there is some bogus going on with the power distribution When boosting.

What makes me confused is that it somehow seems to affect the RAM and APU performance- I explain further down. I thought that the CPU voltage and the SOC Voltage for the Ram and APU are not influencing each other? Is that a misunderstanding?

For now I can live with the CPU limited to the 3600 Mhz because I think the OC of the APU and the RAM is much more important on this chip ??Performancewise.

The thing I am strugling with is the SOC Voltage that feeds both the ram and the APU. I now run with my ram on 3400 Mhz but the tradeoff is that I cannot OC the APU much (MAX 1300 Mhz). If I lower the ram frequenzy I can OC the APU more. If I OC the APU and maintain the high RAM frequency it close down Crysis after around 10 minutes with the windows popup, about closing down the program. If i lower the APU clock it runs the game without problems.

It seems that the SOC Voltage is directly influencing this - The higher SOC voltage the higher I can go with both the RAM and the APU. If I dont touch the SOC voltage, I have to lower the Ram if I raise the APU Clock and the other way around.

This makes me think a few things:

I.             I think that my 2x8 Ripjaws 3600 needs a lot of SOC voltage to work with the high frequencies.

II.            I think that the APU also needs a quite high SOC voltage and that it kind of compete with the ram for it.

I have been looking a lot for clear guidance as to what voltage limits the new ravenridge can take  The best I have found was this artickle:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3251-raven-ridge-soc-voltage-guidelines-how-to-kill-cpu-with-safe-voltage

Here it is mentioned that you could go as high as 1.25 V to 1.30V on the SOC Voltage (Ram and APU) with the RavenRidge (Seems like more than the old Ryzen that didn't have the onboard APU). The problem that the article highligts is that you cannot always trust the boards setting so you could end up giving to much without being aware of it! Now I am on 1,25 for the SOC Voltage and 1,4V for the CPU.

I think that I could run My ram on the maximum 3466MHZ (Board maximum) and also have a high APU OC if I could go higher on the SOV Voltaget han the 1,25V.

I would love some more hard facts about the RavenRidge voltage limits but I guess it would surface eventually.

Ryzen 5 2400g/ ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ NH-L9A-AM4 L.PROFILE/ INWIN-CHOPIN 150W/ G.Skill Ripjaws V-DDR4,2x8-3600MHz(F4-3600C16D-16GVK)/ Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E500-SSD-500GB/ UEFI-bios 4.51A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thenightstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:44am
Only a short update ...

Today again cold boot issue, again the RAM settings where reset as well as GFX settings.

I went through the process of calculating the HEX/DEZ numbers for my RAM timings and enterd them in AMD CBS settings. Also turned off Core Performance Boost.

Now the stuttering is gone as you described it but turbo also is off now but ok that's at least something.

Again, my RAM was absolutely stbale with my settings, I'll try lowering the voltage next time too because I think it would run those timings on 1,35 V as well.

I hope ASRock will patch these problems soon, it seems to be a specific problem here, isn't it?
AMD is working closely with MSI, that's garbage...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 7:34am
Another thing that happens after this is the MAX CPU core voltage will go down from aprox 1.425V to 1.256V a substantial jump, that confirms that this is indeed a power throttle or something not a cpu cooling throttle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thenightstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 7:26am
Originally posted by cristy6100 cristy6100 wrote:

Enter UEFI, and change overclock settings from ASRock Settings to AMD CBS then go to /AMD CBS/Zen Common Options/ and switch Core Performance Boost to Disabled, this should fix 90% of stuttering and frame drops, you will still have Adaptive Frequency and Voltage but you will loose Turbo and XFR so CPU part will be limited to 3.6GHz on all cores, the GPU part remains at the same frequency as before. I dont know if it will help with the cold boots but worth checking

EDIT: you will need to switch to AMD CBS Settings from ASRock for this setting to stick

OK, going to check this tomorrow, have to get some sleep now!

I'll be back with an update.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 7:22am

Edited by cristy6100 - 22 Mar 2018 at 7:24am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thenightstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 5:14am
Hi,

there's some serious bs going on with this whole plattform right now ...

My "cold boot issues" are definetely caused by my RAM settings, I get it every time. However my RAM runs just fine as far as I have testet it. I played AC Origins for hours with medium and low timings (low CL 14/14/14/14). I'm actually using G.Skill 4000 C19 with Samsung B-Dies which are confirmed to run 3200 mhz / cl14 with 1.4 V.

Now there could be 2 reasons for the issue.
1. There's a bug in the timing or voltage settings that causes the failure at boot
2. There's a bug in the AM4 RAM Training fuction.

I turned this off now just to see what happes because my RAM runs absolutely stable with these settings. It also boots and reboots with this settings everytime until I unplug my PSU and reboot the next day. Weird...

EDIT:
OK, to make sure my RAM is stable I just ran a full pass MemTest86 > no errors with 3200 / CL14 @1.4 V. It's definetely NOT my RAM.

Edited by Thenightstalker - 22 Mar 2018 at 7:08am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:07pm
We need to wait for a new bios and graphics driver, they should release Adrenaline for Vega 8/11 with the next WHQL driver release.
No point in overclocking when the platform is not stable from the beginning and currently there is no fix for the bugs reported here and the constant stuttering/cold boots/crashes

My default core voltage is also very high, on a Cinebench R15 run, the core boosts to 3800 but pulls 1.425V for that, seems a little on the high side
Regarding the memory I have not tried lowering the latencies on mine yet, but I dont think it will make a big difference if you only go from lets say 16-16-16 to 15-15-15, bigger difference if going from 3000 to 3466, my Cosrair LPX wont boot past 3200 @ 1.35V but I'm happy cause they are 2400 modules.
You can set an offest for the CPU voltage -100 is max that way you will still have adaptive voltage control instead of a fixed voltage, see if that helps
I tested today but as both if you said very hard to get a stable GFX clock past 1300, I won't play with the SOC/GFX voltage until we have a bios entry from where we can check in realtime the voltage reading, the CPU offers SOC/GFX voltage monitoring in realtime but ASRock decided not to implement this reading in the BIOS, damn another problem....

Edited by cristy6100 - 21 Mar 2018 at 1:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic