ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Gaming-iTX/ac - freezing (oh no...)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 7:11am
Awesome, thanks for all the extra info guys. This is really helpful to both other users an ASRock's support staff. 
Thenightstalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thenightstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 8:17am
Short update

When I booted up today I got that stupid power on/off loop bug. After a few tries iit turned on finally but my uefi settings where gone. This happens randomly idk

First the SATA stuff, I hit F11, it listed my SSD as first, I can?™t see any port numbers there, it shows the name (Samsung ...) and maybe cuts the rest?
Disabling the controller didn?™t seem to do anything too. The drive is still there and even booting. Maybe that?™s intended idk?!

I wasn?™t able to specify the performance issue because I made a dumb mistake ;-)
I set the CPU back to auto but left the Cool&Quiet off. Set my RAM timings manually to 14/14/14/14 @1.4 V and ran the game... it didn?™t stutter, great but I realized soon that something else was wrong, frames where horrible. I checked temps and watched system load but everything was just fine. So I opened Ryzen Master and set fixed Frequencies. I realized that my RAM timings were wrong and I set them correctly again. But the game still ran bad.
I played around with settings about half an hour but even 720p was awfully slow. But then just when I was about to give up I saw the GPU clock speed was just about 420
Mhz!!! Damit how could that happen why didn?™t Insee this earlier?! I manually set the clock to ablut 1300 mhz and now the game was running quite ok even ln medium 1080p.

I will check if setting only the GPU manually will help to prevent the stuttering but not today ;-)
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 7:17pm
Thank you for confirming these issues.
For the SATA it should tell you something like AHCI P and after P a number, but if you have CSM disabled and windows installed in UEFI I think it will only list the disk name without the corresponding port number, so that is another bug,if you have 4 disks of the same model with 4 UEFI installs on it you will have to guess in the boot screen and bios menus which disk is which, so the 7th bug so far.
The inability to disable the SATA controller is not intended, it should be disable and the whole menu needs do disapear from there, the only thing that menu needs to read after you switch the SATA controller to Disabled is just that "Sata Controller - Disabled" it should not list the ports/disks or any boot menus.

Well clearly we need to wait for a new UEFI version from ASRock, then we need to test those 7 bugs out, including the throttling issue. 

I suggest you Load Default UEFI options, thats what I use now, I loaded the default options, disabled CSM and Enabled Secure Boot, thats all I changed. I even dropped down my memory from 3200 @ 1.35V to stock 2400 @ 1.2V, until I new UEFI version any overclock is useless....

Edited by cristy6100 - 18 Mar 2018 at 7:26pm
hifihedgehog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifihedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 3:22am
Just to verify, where did you download and which version do you have of:

1) AMD Chipset driver
2) AMD Catalyst Graphics driver
3) Intel Wireless driver
4) Intel LAN driver
5) Realtek audio driver

Try using the latest versions direct from the vendor, not any old drivers from the ASRock motherboard page. Please provide an answer for each so I can see if I can reproduce this with the latest drivers and a clean install of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update I will be doing in the next week.

Edited by hifihedgehog - 19 Mar 2018 at 3:38am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thenightstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 4:00pm
Ok another update:

I'm constantly getting thise coold power on loop issues now, everytime it seemst to reset my RAM settings and GFX framebuffer. Everytime I go into uefi after this it shows a real low RAM Speed on the left side (don't know which side means what), on the right it shows the set value (3200). And timings seem to change as well but not to XMP default value, I don't understand what's going on there. Also the frambuffer setting is gone each time this happens.

You'd think it's just because these settings aren't stable or something but NO, when I set it again and boot everything runs perfect. I played Origins with these settings for more than an hour without any problems. Can anyone tell me about this problem?

I rechecked the SATA bug, deactivating definetely does NOTHING. I looked at the drive listing again and yes, there's this AHCI P... string, but it shows only for the 2nd partition of my drive. I have Windows 10 Bootmanager at fist and then AHCI P0 Samsung ... as second drive listed. But that's ONE phyisical drive connected to SATA port 1 on the board.

Last but not least some more testing on the stuttering / thortteling bug. Setting any (CPU or GPU) clock speeds manually seems to fix the problem. I tried both yesterday and both worked fine.

I monitored the temps during gameplay and it never went much above 60°C (FANs in performance mode). I don't think there's any thermal problem.

Drivers:
I'm using the latest drivers as far as I know. At least for chipset, GPU, WLAN and AUDIO. Not sure if I did it for LAN because I don't use it. I downloaded them from the vendors page.

Can anyone tell me which voltages I need to inrease for GPU overclocking? I tried to raise the GPU clock yesterday but I think it wasn't stable because the game chrashed when I switched between game and ryzen master tool. Maybe it wasn't the GPU but I'll need to raise the voltage anyway if I want to go higher up.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 4:24pm
In Ryzen Master try 1.15 for APU GFX voltage and 1.15 for SOC voltage and fix the gpu to 1240MHz.
You should not try to overclock the GFX from UEFI beacause on the ASRock motherboards they do not provide a normal voltage input option, instead they provide a value from 0 to 100 that we can only guess what voltage will provide.... (good job ASRock again)
As far as drivers go, uninstall audio/chipset/wlan drivers from AMD/Intel/Realtek, leave the drivers that came with Windows 10, and just install the AMD GPU driver 17.7. I never in the last 6 years had any problems with the drivers that came with Windows for chipset/audio/lan etc etc, but I had numerous problems with the dedicated ones... but anyway those problems we are both reporting have nothing to do with any of the drivers (maybe the GPU driver is causing the throttling, that is a another likely cause, but there is no other driver for the 2200/2400G, at this time)

Edited by cristy6100 - 19 Mar 2018 at 4:27pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thenightstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:16pm
I used the WIN 10 drivers first, then reinstalled everything using the vendors drivers, nothing changed so far. I think those drivers are most likely the same.

I'll try these voltage settings. I had it running at 1250-1300 before without changing voltage. Hopefully it will go up to about 1600 mhz, that shoud bring me the 5-10 FPS I'm actually missing sometimes.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:37pm
I saw about 6-12FPS boost from 1240 to 1500 on the GPU, but until I can OC the igpu in the UEFI and input a normal voltage range (it should be 1.00V up to 1.30V for the iGFX voltage) I will stick to the default clock, you also loose the gpu power states by going manual on the GPU clock, and that is a big shame it should work the same we need to alter only the highest GPU power State from 1240 to any value chosen. 
If we count to GPU voltage and frequency bug we are up to 9 major bugs so far....
I can add one more bug to those 9 so far:

When going manual on the CPU frequency and voltage it should still use the power states not keep the CPU at a fixed frequency and voltage, again the same happens here as on the GPU side, but we are not interested in keeping a fixed voltage and frequency on the CPU/GPU when overclocking, we just want the overclock to apply when needed, that is when the CPU is requesting the highest all core frequency. On Intel side we can adjust the All Core Turbo multiplier, we need to be able to do the same here without stupid complicated P States Tables,
And on the GPU side, the GPU clock needs to apply again only to the highest P State of the GPU, that is the highest 3D clock, this works as expected on all AMD GPU's but not here....
Nobody wants a fixed CPU/GPU clock and voltage, but I mean nobody, maybe 1% of users, and again nobody wants to edit the full P States tables, its stupid and applies again to maybe 1% of users
We want adaptive voltage and frequency to work when chaiging the CPU frequency and voltage from the standard menu that has been with AMD from the socket AM2 days. Why break something when it worked for the last 10 years?

Edited by cristy6100 - 19 Mar 2018 at 10:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thenightstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:50pm
Amen!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thenightstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 6:24am
Ans welcome to another round ... Don't get me wrong, I love my PC but some of these issues are killing me!

OK, we seem to know why the stuttering appears now I wanted to get rid of the boot issue. It's clearly the RAM, I had it again after cold booting my system today. After that I can set whatever I want, at least as long as I stay in the supported frequency, I tried to set 4000 but that resulted in exactly the same power on/off loop. But this confirms that the problem is the RAM, but I still don't understand why because after that first boot everything is OK, I had my RAM now set to 3200 CL14 which was fine until cold boot today. Now I set it down to 2933 just to see if the Issue has to do with RAM overclocking or if it's simply a bug that appears on every cold boot.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic