ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [SOLVED] X399 Pro not booting after BIOS update
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] X399 Pro not booting after BIOS update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gargltk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] X399 Pro not booting after BIOS update
    Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:01am
Hello,

I recently got the X399 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming motherboard to build a new Threadripper system.

Before putting everything inside the case I decided to do an open-air test with just the bare minimum:

* TR1950X
* 64GB of HyperX 2666 MHz memory (4x16 GB)
* Radeon RX580
* WD Black 512GB NVMe SSD (M.2)

The system booted up perfectly all the way to the desktop (KDE on Arch Linux) on the first power-up. I then decided that I wanted to update the BIOS before proceeding any further so I downloaded the latest version from the ASRock website (2.00), extracted to a USB stick and rebooted into BIOS. From there I used the Instant Flash option to start the update. Everything seemed to go fine (the progress bar got to 100%, I got a "Press Enter to reboot" message) but upon rebooting the system never came back up.

I am now stuck in the following scenario:

* the red LEDs under the chipset slowly pulsate/blink on/off
* the Dr. Debug display is off, no code displayed. After the reboot done at the end of the BIOS update there was some activity on this display but at some point it went offline and the chipset LEDs have been stuck on blinking red
* powering the board with just the 24 pin plugged in will get the CPU fan to start up but nothing else (chipset LEDs still blinking, PSU seems to provide power but its fan isn't spinning, Dr. Debug still doesn't show anything).
* powering up the board with any additional power cable connected (24+8+4, 24+8, 24+4) results in nothing coming online when I press the power button (no fans spin for PSU, CPU, graphics card)

What I have tried so far:

* BIOS Flashback seems to work so I tried that (the button blinks green for 2-3 minute, I can see the USB stick being accessed - it has an LED on it that indicates reads/writes, a green LED lights up on the board between the CPU socket and the top PCI-E connector). I tried flashing versions 1.50, 1.80 and even going back to 1.30 multiple times but it didn't seem to make any difference. I even tried this after removing everything off the motherboard and powering it on with only the 24 pin power connected
* I tried clearing CMOS a bunch of times by pressing the Clear CMOS button, no apparent result
* I tried removing the CMOS battery and leaving the board unplugged for ~10 minutes, no apparent result
* re-socketed the CPU 3 times
* re-seated memory multiple times
* removed the M.2 SSD
* moved the graphics card to all PCI-E slots
* tried to boot without graphics card

I now have the board stored away for the night with the CMOS battery removed, I'm going to try again in the morning to see if maybe this will make it budge.

I'm pretty ready to just return the board, but any suggestions as to what I might try are very welcome.

Edited by gargltk - 05 Apr 2018 at 8:26am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:54am
Clear CMOS and flashback. You have your bases covered. See if the longer clear works in the morning. If not, try another flashback to whatever version the board shipped with (should be on a sticker on the BIOS ROM chip).

If all that fails, return the board. I hope it doesn't come to that, good luck.
gargltk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gargltk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 8:24am
In the end it turned out that the motherboard I got originally was defective after all. I returned it and got my replacement today. So far so good - managed to update BIOS to the latest version (though I didn't update straight to 2.00 like I did last time, instead I downloaded all available versions and updated incrementally until the last version), Windows/Linux boot without any issues, everything seems to be working fine on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic