ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dual graphics option not available for FM2A78M-HD+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual graphics option not available for FM2A78M-HD+

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skaughtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual graphics option not available for FM2A78M-HD+
    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:01am
Here is my setup:

A8-7670k

AsRock FM2A78M-HD+ (BIOS v2.50)

4GBx2 G.Skill Ares DDR3 2133mhz (set to proper speed in BIOS)

MSI Radeon R7 240 2GD5 (2GB DDR5)

Windows 10 64-bit

I am faced with two issues: 1) The dual graphics option is not displaying in the BIOS, and 2) the Radeon Software does not display the dual graphics option.

I have the current Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.2.1 software installed for both the iGPU and the R7 240.  The GPU-Z readout for both are below:

These should be compatible in theory.  The shader count is 384 for both.  Would the 42 MHz difference in GPU clock be the culprit?  Or could it be the Cape Verde GPU on the R7 240?  I have read anecdotes that only Oland GPUs will work with the dual graphics option, but this is usually because of a difference in shader counts.

The system should be configured appropriately, as described in the motherboard manual, yet the option for dual graphics does not appear in the BIOS.  The iGPU is enabled and set as the primary graphics source in the BIOS.  The cables (VGA to one monitor and HDMI to another) are plugged into the motherboard.  Both GPU sources show up in the Radeon Software, but the Dual Graphics option is not available for either.  Interestingly, when I reverse that setup and utilize the discrete GPU as the primary source (while keeping the iGPU enabled in the BIOS), the iGPU no longer even shows up in the Radeon Software.

Any insight into this problem would be appreciated.  I have searched similar threads, but solutions seem to be lacking.

kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 2:15am
since u can see both cards in windows that theres nothing else u can do in bios, rest is about drivers
if windows doesnt let u do it, then your drivers (amd) doesnt not support it
anyway, even if u manage to hax your windows registry/driver settings, u will still get hit by high latency(lags) when you move windows between monitors

but since your R7 240 supports 2 non-DP screens
which means u can hook it up to 2 monitors just fine no?
so why bother with igpu?

skaughtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skaughtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:15am
The R7 240 on its own is about the same ability-wise as the iGPU. Thus, I am trying to run them in dual graphics mode to utilize both simultaneously and achieve the associated graphics boost.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:19am
what has dual monitor to do with gpu boost?
skaughtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skaughtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:23am
I believe you are misunderstanding what I am asking.
Dual graphics is otherwise referred to as Hybrid Crossfire by AMD. It is the ability to run two GPUs simultaneously as one GPU. In this case the integrated GPU on the APU and the R7 240.

Dual monitors/displays is a different subject
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:31am
You will see a very slight increase in average FPS in some titles, most will either not utilize it or run worse. There have been a lot of reviews and tests done that validate this. Honestly you are better off just using the the R7 240. 

That said, you will need drivers that support dual graphics. You will need to google search which version you need. From what I remember, dual graphics was removed as an option from Crimson drivers onward. The drivers you want are the older "catalyst" drivers. 

It may be worth a shot with newer games that have updated support for multi GPU systems but don't expect it to make unplayable titles playable, you will see minimal gains if you are lucky Unhappy I tried it myself with my A10 7870k and an R7 250, it wasn't worth it.
skaughtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skaughtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:40am
Well thanks, Captain Buzzkill.

Just kidding... I am really just trying because I have the hardware available. The machine is mostly for media. I thought about using older drivers but I figured any benefit from succeeding in turning on the dual graphics would be negated by the older software. I will try it later and see if I can get things working.

Still, would the drivers explain why the dual graphics option isnt showing up in the BIOS? That has been puzzling me.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 4:02am
As far as I remember from when I tried it, there was not option in the BIOS, just in the drivers which had to support it.
skaughtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skaughtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 6:53am
Tried the Catalyst drivers provided by ASRock. No dice. Some things just arent meant to be I supoose.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic