ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asrock AB350 Pro4 4.70 Attempted_Write_to_ReadOnly
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock AB350 Pro4 4.70 Attempted_Write_to_ReadOnly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TachyonParticle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock AB350 Pro4 4.70 Attempted_Write_to_ReadOnly
    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 12:49pm
Just the day after I updated the BIOS of Asrock AB350 Pro4. I just had this BSOD called "Attempted_Write_to_ReadOnly_Memory". I did a quick research and it says it was caused by overclocking the memory or CPU, but I did not overclock anything. Everything is in stock configuration.

link for minidump: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0cvxwdv7eri47dd/032018-8062-01.dmp

Edited by TachyonParticle - 21 Mar 2018 at 1:00pm
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.0Ghz | ASRock AB350 Pro4 BIOS 4.70 | Avexir Core Series
2x8GB 2400MHz DDR4 | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD
Blue 2TB | Seasonic S12II 520W | Win10x64
Moba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:11pm
You should use BIOS 3.xx (AGESA 1.0.0.6b) with a Ryzen 1700. Make sure you use the Bridge BIOS 3.40 to downgrade.

BIOS 4.xx are for the new Ryzen 2x00 processors and have many bugs (some users even bricked their boards upgrading). See my replies in another thread to see how I got my system to a rock solid state using BIOS 3.20 for my X370 board (ASROCK AB350M Pro4 - Freezing).

A mod added a sticky this morning about the new BIOS issues Wink

kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 3:54am
it can be ram overclock issue, feel free to run memtest
if u get no ram errors, then its a bad driver
if the driver responsible for the error can be identified, its name is printed on the blue screen and stored in memory at the location (PUNICODE_STRING) KiBugCheckDriver.
if u never touched minidumps, feel free to roll back your windows to previous working state (system restore)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Moba Moba wrote:

You should use BIOS 3.xx (AGESA 1.0.0.6b) with a Ryzen 1700. Make sure you use the Bridge BIOS 3.40 to downgrade.

BIOS 4.xx are for the new Ryzen 2x00 processors and have many bugs (some users even bricked their boards upgrading). See my replies in another thread to see how I got my system to a rock solid state using BIOS 3.20 for my X370 board (ASROCK AB350M Pro4 - Freezing).

A mod added a sticky this morning about the new BIOS issues Wink

It needs to be said that some users are not experiencing issues with the new updates and they do bring something to the table when they are stable but they do not appear to be fully tested (the AGESA) on enough system variations. 

If you have updated and all is well with your machine, my post should not be taken as a cause to backflash to an older BIOS. That post exists exclusively for us moderators to link to in instances where users have experienced issues as a result of updating to the new Raven Ridge supporting BIOSes Wink

Again, if you have updated and all is stable you have no need for concern. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:52am
That minidmp is singling out ntoskrnl

From where did you get the "system level' drivers you installed?

Um........ I don't see the correct amount of AMD drivers loaded.

Have you installed the latest AMD Chipset Drivers? I'm guess you haven't installed them, period. Old or new.
https://support.amd.com/en-us/download
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:01am
vmx86.sys ?

Srsly?

If this dmp was created in a VM say so now.

Edited by wardog - 23 Mar 2018 at 7:02am
TachyonParticle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TachyonParticle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:33am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

vmx86.sys ?

Srsly?

this is the host PC running. Somehow I have VMware installed in this machine.

That minidmp is singling out ntoskrnl

From where did you get the "system level' drivers you installed?

Um........ I don't see the correct amount of AMD drivers loaded.

Have you installed the latest AMD Chipset Drivers? I'm guess you haven't installed them, period. Old or new.
https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

I see, I should've installed the latest BIOS along with updated chipset. The current chipset installed here was probably from 2-3 months ago. I will update it now.

Originally posted by Moba Moba wrote:

A mod added a sticky this morning about the new BIOS issues Wink

I came from 3.00 (stock bios when I purchased it) went through 3.20, 3.30, 3.40 bridge, 4.40 and finally to 4.70.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:46am
Originally posted by TachyonParticle TachyonParticle wrote:

vmx86.sys ?

Srsly?

this is the host PC running. Somehow I have VMware installed in this machine.

Somehow? You don't know how it got there?

This hdd/ssd came from another machine then.
TachyonParticle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TachyonParticle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:48am
^ my apologies, i expressed in a wrong way. I am fully aware that I have installed VMware workstation.

Originally posted by kerberos_20 kerberos_20 wrote:

it can be ram overclock issue, feel free to run memtest
if u get no ram errors, then its a bad driver
if the driver responsible for the error can be identified, its name is printed on the blue screen and stored in memory at the location (PUNICODE_STRING) KiBugCheckDriver.
if u never touched minidumps, feel free to roll back your windows to previous working state (system restore)
I'm currently running in stock configuration in everything: cpu, gpu and ram.

just updated to latest chipset drivers from amd website.

to all: been trying to wait if this problem will come back and so far it hasn't happened again.

Edited by TachyonParticle - 23 Mar 2018 at 11:37am
Moba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:56pm

It needs to be said that some users are not experiencing issues with the new updates and they do bring something to the table when they are stable but they do not appear to be fully tested (the AGESA) on enough system variations. 

If you have updated and all is well with your machine, my post should not be taken as a cause to backflash to an older BIOS. That post exists exclusively for us moderators to link to in instances where users have experienced issues as a result of updating to the new Raven Ridge supporting BIOSes Wink

Again, if you have updated and all is stable you have no need for concern. 

Sadly, most users who post in forums don't have the technical knowledge to troubleshoot when something goes wrong. That's why they seek help online. The latest anything regarding computers should be considered BETA at best these days (even updates from Microsoft). IMO most users (i.e. non power users) should never update a BIOS or firmware unless they absolutely must. Even idiot proof hardware with dual BIOS features or recovery software tools can be bricked to a non usable state. And only a very small number of users have the knowledge and the tools to reflash/replace a chip at that point (and they are not the ones asking for help online). While warranty claims are usually possible, the cost to return, time lost without a system and overall trouble is disheartening and a very frustrating experience to the average user who invested a lot of money for a new system. The number of bad reviews online for many AM4 boards, regardless of brand (including my own X370 Killer SLI), and the DDR4 used with them is a clear testament to that.

AMD has a 20% market share from what I read online, which means they have a lot less resources than Intel to test the millions and millions of possible combinations of system builds with their products. It's also a new platform and I'm hopeful this will change with the new Ryzen processors this year.

All this doesn't matter to power users and heavy overclockers who regard their systems as disposable if something goes terribly wrong and don't mind spending weeks getting every last decimal of performance out of their rig. For me, I'd rather use my computer than fix it and I am very happy with my system so far (coming from Intel too). It did take a little effort and common sense to get up and running for production work - still a far cry from the Prescott or VIA chipset days. AMD will certainly continue tweaking the platform to make it more plug and play, but users must be patient and careful with the updates they do... Wink

Edited by Moba - 23 Mar 2018 at 11:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic