ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z370 Taichi PCIe Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ssateneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z370 Taichi PCIe Question
    Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Porsaan Porsaan wrote:

PCIE lanes. 
My z370 pro g.i7 uses all pcie lanes with 2 x m.2 nvme's and i even had to turn off two sata ports to get x16 on the gpu. 
 Other brands will not help either until someone make a mb with plx chip for more lanes. (hoping that z390 will have some). 
Your only options are either remove one m.2, move on to hedt (x299) or switch to the red team. (all options bad for gamer rigs). Other option is to use the gpu in x8 or turn two m.2's down to x2 each (can be done with add-on card). 

He already got it fixed with RMA. It was a bad motherboard.
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
Porsaan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porsaan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:53pm
PCIE lanes. 
My z370 pro g.i7 uses all pcie lanes with 2 x m.2 nvme's and i even had to turn off two sata ports to get x16 on the gpu. 
 Other brands will not help either until someone make a mb with plx chip for more lanes. (hoping that z390 will have some). 
Your only options are either remove one m.2, move on to hedt (x299) or switch to the red team. (all options bad for gamer rigs). Other option is to use the gpu in x8 or turn two m.2's down to x2 each (can be done with add-on card). 

Edited by Porsaan - 28 Mar 2018 at 10:02pm
Fatal1ty Z370 Professional Gaming i7. EVGA DG-87 EVGA 1080 8700k
Samsung 960Evo/950Pro
Corsair Rm1000i
gregorskii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregorskii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 4:24pm
Fixed with mobo replacement from amazon.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 1:21am
Is this a large, heavy GPU?

I saw a post on another forum just recently with this same issue and it turned out that the GPU was sagging and it was causing poor contact along the top edge of the GPU nearest the front of the case. PCIe slots are set up by length for the different lane configs, 1x is the first small section nearest the rear of the case, x2 a little closer to the front of the case and so on till you get to x16 which is the last third or so of the slot. The device will work even if only the x1 portion is making contact. This leads many to believe the card is properly seated and to dismiss the slot fit as a potential source for the issue.

Try supporting the GPU on a small box or some such that keeps it exactly level or very, very slightly tilted up at the end. See if that gives you your full x16.

I am not sure exactly why but x8 wired slots tend to be a more snug fit for some reason, possibly due to fewer traces and less applied heat at the end of the slot during manufacture. 

Let us know if this helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregorskii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 1:00am
Yes I did. From what I understand this only changes the generation. The system downclocks when not under load to use 1.1.

I have done every recommended option for fixing this from the graphics config side. Putting the card in slot 4 immediately reports x8 regardless of whether the card is under load. Slot 2 reports x1 no matter what.

You can see my back and forth on EVGA forums here: https ://forums.evga.com/1080-SC-Performance-m2806455.aspx

I also tried removing all but one m2 drive, still x1.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by badbri badbri wrote:

When you run GPU Z did you click the ? (next to Bus interface) and do the Render Test ?
If you did and it reports @1X, not @16x then it sounds like first PCIe slot is damaged and you should RMA it.

Good point.
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:21am
When you run GPU Z did you click the ? (next to Bus interface) and do the Render Test ?
If you did and it reports @1X, not @16x then it sounds like first PCIe slot is damaged and you should RMA it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregorskii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:10am
I think thats referring to how the chipset controls its own lanes. If it were the case (at worst) that using ANY mobo PCIe lane would cut off 4 lanes to the processor. If that were the case no one could run anything from the chipset without blocking the processor from running 16 lanes. It would be at best 12.

I think the 4 lanes between the chipset and the processor are dedicated... I mean assumptions here.. but they have to be. Otherwise ANYONE using a single m2 drive would lose x16 on the main PCIe gfx port.

It still would not explain why the card gets x8 from the lower x8 slot. If it were sucking 4 lanes from the 16 to run the chipset the top slot would run at x8.

I reseated the processor / cpu cooler / checked for any damage to the CPU / mobo. No bent pins, no marks on the CPU dots.

It all looks fine.

Re-seated, put card in slot 2 its x1.

Does anyone know if there is something in bios that can control this?

I have already cleared CMOS and reset up my settings, changed nothing.

I see from reading other issues Asus mobos show you the lanes in bios for each slot. The bios for the Taichi does not have any section related to this.

The only setting I see is the PCIe slot link speed. Which I have tried auto and gen3 on slot2. Slot 4 is on auto and works at x8.

I am thinking there is either something inherently wrong with the controller in this processor (doubtful?) or this mobo needs an RMA.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Edited by gregorskii - 23 Mar 2018 at 9:11am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:31am
They are sometime quick to RMA IMO.

Here's how I understand it, and sorry for the late reply.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/869979-m2-disrupt-pcie-lanes/?tab=comments#comment-10792063

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregorskii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:16am
I talked over the phone with support, they suggested re-seating the CPU and checking the mobo for shorts.

If that doesn't work RMA it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic