ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350M Pro4 + 2400G cannot boot any Linux

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350M Pro4 + 2400G cannot boot any Linux
    Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 11:20am
I have problems booting into any Linux distro. I tried Antergos, Manjaro (stable, testing), Ubuntu (17.10, 18.04 daily), OpenSUSE, with 4.15+ kernel. All of them failed during booting, freeze at different points.

I tried all BIOS (4.30, 4.50, 4.70), none of them work. There is also PCIe Bus Error on 4.70 which probably related to PCIe wireless card.

I currently on Windows insider (1803) which occasionally have wireless and graphic issue (freeze, BSOD). Non-insider Windows just unstable, even more freezing.

PC Spec:

Asrock AB350M Pro 4
AMD Ryzen 2400G
Kingston HyperX Predator 3000MHz 16Gb
Silverstone ET550-B 550W
ASUS PCE-AC55BT

I understand that Raven Ridge is relatively *new CPU. Though I did not expect this much struggle. Any help or under work update would be appreciated. Thank you.

zap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 7:28pm
Hi goody,
I have a Ryzen 2200g and I'm experiencing lot of problems too.
One thing that is improved for me by changing setting in the BIOS is that in the advanced setting for the IGP if I force the default resolution I have less problem on boot where before the monitor remained black.

I can boot to Linux with Ubuntu 18.04, but sometime it get stuck during the boot either because it crashes while changing from the UEFI driver to the Linux one or for a lot of unknown reasons.

When it does boot it works extremely well for like one hour or less but then it freezes after signaling a lot of PCIe Bus Errors, try removing the wireless card and probably those error will remain if you have the same problem as mine because I have the most minimal configuration, I can reproduce the error even without an hard disk.

Can you confirm to me that you don't have problem with BIOS 4.50? Does the PCIEbus error preceeds the freeze?

I have created this bug report, see if the errors are similar to yours
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=IO%2FStorage&component=Other
rob77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:05am
I have a very similar problem. can't boot linux reliably (ubuntu 17.10 and 18.04 with kernel 4.16) . it will boot on every 5th to 10th try all others fail - either freeze during the boot or screen remains black.

ASROCK AB350M Pro4
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
Kingston 16 GB KIT DDR4 2400 MHz CL15 HyperX Fury Black Series
Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB
WD Blue 3D NAND SSD 500GB M.2

i'm able to boot linux without the amd gpu firmware present - using the software lvmpipe driver.
and even stranger is that if i boot without the firmware from one disk and then reboot to linux with amd gpu firmware on other disk, it boots up and everything works for a while but then after random time the graphics locks up (heavy load makes it lockup faster).

same ryzen 5 2400G APU in a asus mobo boots the same linux ok every time (but the graphics freezes sometimes)
same ryzen 5 2400G APU in the asrock AB350M Pro4 mobo works perfectly with windows 10.
AMD A8 APU works fine under linux with the AB350M Pro4 mobo.

Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 11:47am
AB350M Pro4 + 2200G + GT730 + FreeBSD 11.1 = OK.

rob77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Ivan_83 Ivan_83 wrote:

AB350M Pro4 + 2200G + GT730 + FreeBSD 11.1 = OK.

can you test without the nvidia graphics card ? the problem we have is related to the AB350M Pro4 + AMD APU using the integrated AMD VEGA graphics.
Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 8:04pm
Without nvidia work too, but FreeBSD have no advanced drivers, only fb driver, without any acceleration and opengl.
pruda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pruda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:16pm
Hi, I'm using opensuse tumbleweed on AB350M Pro4 + Ryzen 5 2400G and it works perfectly. Except a few non blocking acpi errors on start everything like a dream. Even 3D and video acceleration in KDE, I get 2160p smooth playback in firefox. I believe, that opensuse leap 15 will work fine too (should be released today).
You're right, that it's probably the only fully working distro today Ouch I have tried a few and failed with all including recently released Ubuntu and Qubes.

Edited by pruda - 25 May 2018 at 3:30pm
I particularly love complex passwords requirement on non-https forums ;-)
Tuishimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuishimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 9:02pm
I WAS working fine with all flavors of Linux until I upgraded my BIOS to the latest rev.  The irony was I was having small issues with Windows, when I updated the bios, now no linux will boot.  Same errors as people mention above.
-
...be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger...
crimson_binome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimson_binome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 7:36am
same trouble here. cant run linux. upon boot i get numerous acpi errors and iommu error.

running the latest beta bios has no effect. strange thing is if i boot linux from a live usb it boots fine but after install it only boots about 30% of the time. sometimes black screen sometimes stuck at loading screen. i tried the nomodeset command and it will boot but the system is as slow as a dead elephant.  i even tried changing the kernel to 4.17 and this helped with the slow down but still wont reliably boot. i have tried different ubuntu based distros with no change.
                                       other forums people think its the on board graphics of the ryzen 2200g. anyone using a discreet gpu have this problem?
opd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 5:12pm
Final solution that works for me: Add "iommu=pt" to grub linux kernel parameters. I think it was graphic card issue.
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/just-finished-building-ryzen-system-kernel-panic-whenever-iommu-is-enabled-in-bios/121907

Before I found that solution, I have kernel panic at every attempt to install linux. I install Ubuntu with "acpi=off" and "nomodeset", but then I have only ONE cpu kernel. I was forced to run ubuntu in virtualbox.

ASROCK AB350M Pro4
Bios Version: 4.90, virtualization on, secure boot off, fast boot off
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

AMD Radeon RX 560
Ubuntu 18.04

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic