ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 Extreme4 Audio Crackle / Static

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z370 Extreme4 Audio Crackle / Static
    Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 4:58am

Hello, 

I have been experiencing an annoying audio crackle / static sound since I built my new computer.  This sound happens randomly when playing audio via web browser and also for in game audio.  This sound can be reproduced by sliding the volume control on youtube videos back and forth and also every time I shutdown or restart my computer it will make a quick static sound right before it shuts down.  

Things I have tried:  

1. installed / uninstalled manufacturer suggested Realtek audio drivers.  
2. disabled all audio enhancements
3. changed between audio bit rates / hz properties 
4. enabled / disabled application to take exclusive control of audio 
5. updated to latest bios 
6. set Ram speed back to auto 
7. disassembled and reassembled my PC to check motherboard standoffs and screws
8. blew dust out of audio jack
9. plugged headphones into front and rear audio jacks 
10. tested with second pair of headphones

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be much appreciated because the static sound is driving me insane.  

Hardware
i7 8700k 
EVGA GTX 1080ti hybrid
Corsair 360 rad watercooler 
gskill Tridentz 3200 32gb
samsung 860 evo 250
samsung 860 evo 500
EVGA 750g3 power supply 
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:08am
>1. installed / uninstalled manufacturer suggested Realtek audio drivers.

Did you download the audio driver from Asrock website ?
Are you overclocking anything ?

Edited by badbri - 28 Mar 2018 at 9:09am
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
MKVII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MKVII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 12:50pm
This is not uncommon on Win 10 and or with Realtek HD audio. It's not likely your motherboard. It happens on Asus and Gigabyte as well and there are threads all around  about it. One official response from Asus pr in their forums is that it has to do with how Win 10 handles HD audio, and or along with the Realtek drivers - i'm paraphrasing here.

It's not specific to any chipset or codec as posts about the same issue go years and years back.

I did have some static on my new build with k6, mostly with windows "sounds". My audio bit rate was defaulted to 24bit 44100Hz, i dropped it to 16bit 192000Hz studio and the crackles went away. Eventually i would rather be able to use 24bit if i so chose though. I record and mix on my pc and it worked fine in Win 7 with z77 and Realtek drivers.

That's really just one variable but seems to be common. It could also be a latency issue, and or Nvidia drivers as well, which is also not uncommon.

When you install Nvidia drivers i recommend only install the driver and physx. Do not install the hdmi driver if you can help it. And also check your system latency with latency mon. If you do a web search you can find threads about it.

Edited by MKVII - 29 Mar 2018 at 12:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic