ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RGB Api / SDK for custom software

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RGB Api / SDK for custom software
    Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 3:11pm
I need a custom app to control the RGB header on my AB350M Pro4 motherboard. I don't want to use an external RGB controller if there is already a nice controller on the MB present :) But i cannot find any documentation..... Is there any? I am running windows so any solution has to be windows compatible.
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 3:06am
When you install ASRock's RGB software, the firmware file for the controller is in the App's BIN folder, with the .10 extension (in my case).
There you will also find the program to flash said firmware file, you will need to try and extract said firmware and go from there, the chances are slim and I don't think ASRock will provide source code, 2nd thing you can do is to try to unpack the app, and see how it sends the commands, my guess is the controller is connected using a UART/i2c not USB

But the manufacturers app is tiny and looks good in my opinion, it could use some tweaking for the UI to bring it in style, and fix a bug or two.
You can also set your desired RGB options in the UEFI, (I do it there)
You can also just copy the app after install and have it on a USB stick or secondary drive or folder and use it from there, its a standalone package no need for install actually.

EDIT: The 3rd option would be to search for the RGB controller on the motherboard and check the Model/SN on the inter-webs, that should provide at least a datasheet, then look in it what method of communication  is used for sending the data from inside Windows, the manufacturer of the controller might provide the source code for it, and you can start from there.

Edited by cristy6100 - 12 Apr 2018 at 3:14am
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
Tadango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 3:56pm
Thanks for the info. 

The applications seems to be created in Delphi, which is a pain to decompile and read for me :) I will try it though.

I might take a look at the chip on the MB but interfacing with chips over I2C under windows is new for me also. At least it will keep me busy for a few days :)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 10:40pm
I am not sure if its i2c it might be a UART/SPI but I'm pretty sure its not USB :)
It might also be USB but somehow the port is hidden from the OS by the motherboards firmware.
You can try sending ASRock support a mail and see if they respond

Have a nice day
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 5:09pm
Just a heads up, ASRock released Polychrome RGB utility, currently only X470 motherboards support it, but if you install it you can see that the current X370 lineup is in the files but not working, upon install on my X370 ITX/ac the utility will list the board as unsuported, the utility is exactly the update that was needed to polish it up, hope they add support for current boards in the next update. You can check it out on the X470 boards page here http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X470%20Gaming%20K4/index.us.asp
Tadango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 5:58pm
I will check it out, sounds good.

Support was not very helpful... I got a link to the RGB utility :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic